aspose file tools*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Oracle to change Sun Certification names Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Oracle to change Sun Certification names" Watch "Oracle to change Sun Certification names" New topic
Author

Oracle to change Sun Certification names

Prithvi Sehgal
Ranch Hand

I suppose, we should concentrate on the exam preparation rather then discussing this name change.
As David Newton has quoted, even if they change the exam, what's the big deal, in the end it will be Java
only not C-Sharp as i have already mentioned.

Best Regards,

Prithvi,
My Blog, Follow me on Twitter,Scjp Tips, When you score low in mocks, Generics,Scjp Notes, JavaStudyGroup
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Hi Guys,

I haven't done a huge amount of research, so take all of this with a grain of salt...

Oracle is different than Sun. If I was master of the universe, I'd cherry pick some of Oracle's business policies and some of Sun's business policies and mash them together. At a high level, it seems like Sun was well intended and very open, but that they weren't that good about keeping to their schedules. On the other hand, it appears so far that Oracle isn't as "open", but that they are more serious about hitting the commitments that they publish.

So, long story short, I don't know as much as I used to about the changes to the Java certification exams. My *speculation*, is that the actual contents of the Java cert exams will change at some point, but not for a while. I would say that if you think certification is important to you, you shouldn't wait for more news. Go ahead and get your certification now - it'll be worth it in the long run.

Thoughts?

Bert

Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
David Newton
Author
Rancher

I think differentiating between Sun Java certs and Oracle Java certs is basically meaningless; everybody knows what's going on (in the sense of knowing Oracle has Java now).
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Bert Bates wrote:Hi Guys,

I haven't done a huge amount of research, so take all of this with a grain of salt...

Oracle is different than Sun. If I was master of the universe, I'd cherry pick some of Oracle's business policies and some of Sun's business policies and mash them together. At a high level, it seems like Sun was well intended and very open, but that they weren't that good about keeping to their schedules. On the other hand, it appears so far that Oracle isn't as "open", but that they are more serious about hitting the commitments that they publish.

So, long story short, I don't know as much as I used to about the changes to the Java certification exams. My *speculation*, is that the actual contents of the Java cert exams will change at some point, but not for a while. I would say that if you think certification is important to you, you shouldn't wait for more news. Go ahead and get your certification now - it'll be worth it in the long run.

Thoughts?

Bert

I agree about the 'keeping up with schedules' point. The content would change whether the certs are controlled by Oracle or by Sun. Its just a question of when. The delivery mechanism of the content is another thing altogether. What I mean by that is - Multiple choice questions / Drag and drops / Writing code etc etc. Whether that is subject to change is to be seen.

SCJP 6 articles - SCJP 5/6 mock exams - More SCJP Mocks
Arjun Srivastava
Ranch Hand

The content would change whether the certs are controlled by Oracle or by Sun. Its just a question of when. The delivery mechanism of the content is another thing altogether. What I mean by that is - Multiple choice questions / Drag and drops / Writing code etc etc. Whether that is subject to change is to be seen.

whether Multiple choice questions / Drag and drops / Writing code etc etc. is subjected to changed that can be only determine after the D-DAY(Judgment day) i.e. 1st SEPTEMBER.

SCJP 6 | FB : Java Certifications-Help. | India Against Corruption
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

If anyone wants to bet money, I'd bet a lot that for the next several months at least it'll be mostly (if not all) the same questions, and of course, for the time being it'll be multiple choice and D&D.
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

Bert Bates wrote:Thoughts?

I agree

Oracle could slow down a little and get more quality in things (like "Servlette"), but it is nice to see the progress.

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Valentin Musoiu
Greenhorn

My joke is ruined!

I wanted to write on a T-shirt: "eSt-Ce que Je Peux?" and wear it on the exam...

Now I have to think at something else. And that takes time from studying

OCPJP 6 95%
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Valentin Musoiu wrote:My joke is ruined!

I wanted to write on a T-shirt: "eSt-Ce que Je Peux?" and wear it on the exam...

Now I have to think at something else. And that takes time from studying

Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer

On Change Pour Jobarder Plus

disclaimer: I'm not studying right now

"Eppur si muove!"
Arjun Srivastava
Ranch Hand

Valentin Musoiu wrote:My joke is ruined!

can you see me laughing right now.
rohit kumarr
Greenhorn

I have checked new Cost of "Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer" is $300, is it the same for India also?
Tareq Ateik
Ranch Hand

rohit kumarr wrote:I have checked new Cost of "Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer" is $300, is it the same for India also?

no its not, every country has its own price ( i think for India its 160$ )

but you can check here: www.2test.com

OCJA6, OCJP6
Tareq Ateik
Ranch Hand

by the way, 3 days ago i got this email from Oracle Education people, i put it here in case someone is interested:

Hi Tariq,

Thank you for writing to Oracle Certification Program.

Please note that you can pass the exam Java Standard Edition 6 Programmer Certified Professional Exam (CX-310-065) to earn your Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer certification credential. We have not changed the exam code and the pattern of the exam. The exam CX-310-065 costs $ 300 US plus local taxes.

You can visit our web site at this page for more information.

Visit here to contact your local Oracle University representative for local exam fees and further guidance. You can also call a representative at 1 .800.529.0165 globally.

Please feel free to email us with your questions and concerns at suncert_ww@oracle.com. Also include your Testing ID in all your mails so that we may assist you with your request at the earliest.
Regards,
OCP Team

ps: fix the link as theres no space in the links, but the forum system wont let me use the word "P L S" because it thinks its please

Just use the URL tag -- Dave
rohit kumarr
Greenhorn

Tariq Atiek wrote:

no its not, every country has its own price ( i think for India its 160$ )

but you can check here: www.2test.com

Thanks Tariq, your statement is a big relief for me
Shalabh Vyas
Greenhorn

Hi All,

One of my friends who collected mocks from SCJP sites online and gave the exam yesterday scored a 100. He confirmed that the questions have not changed yet. I think it can be safely assumed that there is still some time for questions to change on SCJP 6 or the questions (or objectives) might change for SCJP 7.

OCP-Java 6 (100%),OCWCD-JavaEE 5
Arjun Srivastava
Ranch Hand

Shalabh Vyas wrote:
SCJP sites online

can you specify any potential site?
Shalabh Vyas
Greenhorn

Arjun Srivastava wrote:
Shalabh Vyas wrote:
SCJP sites online

can you specify any potential site?

I was talking of the sites same as the ones mentioned on SCJP FAQ here.More specifically, the links to mock tests are a must to go through.Here is the URL though.

SCJP Mock Tests. I shall post some more links when I come across.
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Hi.
I am SCJP.

Can I write in my CV: Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer?

SCJP6, SCWCD5, OCE:EJBD6.
BLOG: http://leakfromjavaheap.blogspot.com
Shalabh Vyas
Greenhorn

Lucas Smith wrote:Hi.
I am SCJP.

Can I write in my CV: Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer?

I believe YES. This is what the Oracle Certification FAQ has to say.

Will my Sun certification continue to be valid?
Yes! Any Sun certifications that you have earned prior to September 1, 2010 will be fully recognized under the Oracle Certification program and valid without expiration.

Though only if you have given the exam on or after September 1st,2010, would you receive an Oracle certificate and logo. Some employers might be good with you mentioning it as OCP-Java. Some might not.
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Can anybody give me an email address so that I could write to Oracle with that question?
Shalabh Vyas
Greenhorn

Lucas Smith wrote:Can anybody give me an email address so that I could write to Oracle with that question?

You can write to ocpexam_ww@oracle.com for queries regarding Sun certifications.I found it from the Sun Certification FAQ on Oracle's site.
Scott Kirk
Greenhorn

THERE WILL BE NO HARDCOPIES of SUN ID CERTIFICATIONCARDS SENT OUT AFTER NOVEMBER30, 2010 I suppose SUN ID Card will be a valuation asset to keep :-)

Q: Will my certificate be from Sun or Oracle?

A: It depends on when you complete the last certification requirement for your track:
* If you completed all of your Java, Oracle Solaris, Oracle Solaris Cluster, MySQL, NetBeans and OpenOffice.org exams before September 1, 2010, you will receive a Sun-branded certification kit.
* If you completed your last exam for these tracks on or after September 1, 2010, you will receive an Oracle certification kit.

Q: Will I receive a hard copy or soft copy certificate?

A: Hard copies of Sun-branded kits will continue to be mailed only through November 30, 2010. After November 30, 2010, candidates who earned Sun-branded certifications will begin receiving their certifications through email (i.e. I.D. cards and hard copies of certificates will no longer be sent).
Tareq Ateik
Ranch Hand

thats just great!! so everytime i want to prove that am certified ill be like "hey, give me your email and ill prove it".

and i cant send it with my cv, ill just tell the employee "check your email, you will find it there"

stupid Oracle, they just screw around sun
Shalabh Vyas
Greenhorn

Scott Kirk wrote:THERE WILL BE NO HARDCOPIES of SUN ID CERTIFICATIONCARDS SENT OUT AFTER NOVEMBER30, 2010 I suppose SUN ID Card will be a valuation asset to keep :-)

A: It depends on when you complete the last certification requirement for your track:
* If you completed all of your Java, Oracle Solaris, Oracle Solaris Cluster, MySQL, NetBeans and OpenOffice.org exams before September 1, 2010, you will receive a Sun-branded certification kit.
* If you completed your last exam for these tracks on or after September 1, 2010, you will receive an Oracle certification kit.

A: Hard copies of Sun-branded kits will continue to be mailed only through November 30, 2010. After November 30, 2010, candidates who earned Sun-branded certifications will begin receiving their certifications through email (i.e. I.D. cards and hard copies of certificates will no longer be sent).

Now,I gave my exam on 18th September and got my exam report under Oracle. Having said that the Sun-branded kits would be mailed only till November 30th, can I expect to receive hard-copy of the Oracle certification kit? I don't think the kits under Oracle would stop being distributed as hard-copies.

And yes, a hard-copy of the certification kit is preferable.
Tareq Ateik
Ranch Hand

Shalabh Vyas wrote:
Scott Kirk wrote:THERE WILL BE NO HARDCOPIES of SUN ID CERTIFICATIONCARDS SENT OUT AFTER NOVEMBER30, 2010 I suppose SUN ID Card will be a valuation asset to keep :-)

Now,I gave my exam on 18th September and got my exam report under Oracle. Having said that the Sun-branded kits would be mailed only till November 30th, can I expect to receive hard-copy of the Oracle certification kit? I don't think the kits under Oracle would stop being distributed as hard-copies.

And yes, a hard-copy of the certification kit is preferable.

first of all, theres no Oracle hard copy certificates, only Sun certificate (i know they said about anyone who take the exam after 1st september will be Oracle Certified, but i think they changed their mind)
and its questionable about Oracle distributing hard copies. and that is the link of what Scott quoted http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/2010/09/0376.html
Scott Kirk
Greenhorn

Yes, Oracle just screw SUN up. :-) I think the easiest way for Oracle to handle is

1) For those who took exams before the requisition, they certified under SUN. and if it is fully recognized under the Oracle certification program, if you lost your hard copy certificate, after request, Oracle should provide you a lastest certification id card or letter under Oracle branding. so simple. Because of the logistics and cost issue, now they even want to do away with ID card reprinting for SUN. or they are afraid people will swap in and request resending of certfiication under Oracle branding. :-(

this is all money issue. Oracle has indicated fully recognized but in terms of handling these issues that involved costs, they just screwed it up.
Fazile Moser
Greenhorn

This posting was from Aug 2010.

What did change?
Do I need to attend an official Oracle course for the Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer exam?
Can I study with the original SCJP study guides?
Is the new exam Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer more complicated than SCJP?
Suhas Mandrawadkar
Ranch Hand

Relax. It is all the same
Only name has been changed so far.

Regards, Suhas S. Mandrawadkar.
Certifications: SCJP 6, SCWCD 5, Oracle WebLogic Server Administrator, OCE Java EE 6 EJB Developer

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.

subject: Oracle to change Sun Certification names