aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes But you don't look straight! Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "But you don Watch "But you don New topic
Author

But you don't look straight!

Matthew Brown
Bartender

chris webster wrote:
Bear Bibeault wrote:What just happened?

Uh...nothing. So what am I missing?

I think everything is supposed to fade to white. That's what I'm seeing, anyway (though it's difficult to resist the urge to flick your eyes over to check once it starts happening, which kills the effect).
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

If I am careful to stare at the same spot for 10-20 seconds, not shifting my gaze at all and not blinking, then the pattern fades to white. The moment I shift gaze slightly, it comes back. I believe it's a case of the brain trying to compensate for irregularities in the retina, or something like that - if it sees the same background pattern consistently, it's assumed to be a defect in the eye, not an actual image, and so the brain adjusts the brightness levels to cancel out the pattern. Shifting the view slightly spoils the effect, and the brain goes back to reporting the actual image.
Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand

chris webster wrote:
Bear Bibeault wrote:What just happened?

Uh...nothing. So what am I missing?

Well for me, what little contrast there was to begin with was lessened. For instance, there are two orange areas near the middle of the image. After five seconds or or so, those became a duller orange. I didn't notice anything disappear completely, and I didn't have any noticeable after-image.

Ron McLeod
Ranch Hand

chris webster wrote:Uh...nothing. So what am I missing?

I see it fade to gray.
chris webster
Bartender

I guess optical illusions are rather like jokes: if you have to explain them then it's probably not worth it...

No more Blub for me, thank you, Vicar.
Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand

Another optical illusion,

Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Clever.

[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

http://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/the-crazy-circle-illusion-how-are-these-dots-moving

http://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/71224654988
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Those are great!

The T-Rex one is especially freaky... (spoiler alert! highlight text below with mouse to read spoiler)

=== spoiler start ===
as even when you know that the head is inverted, your brain still sees the face as "right-side out". I couldn't force my brain to interpret it correctly even when I tried.
=== spoiler end ===
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

=== spoiler start ===

For the big one, I can hold onto seeing it "right" for a few seconds as it turns, but then it "flips" in my mind.
But I'm also able, when looking at the corner formed where two walls meet a ceiling, to flip the spaces in my mind and see myself as hovering above a cube, rather than being enclosed in one.

=== spoiler end ===

Did you see the links for image files for the T-Rexes? I am so printing out some to play with.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

A commercial, but what the heck.

Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app

It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.

subject: But you don't look straight!