Two Laptop Bag*
The moose likes Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA) and the fly likes How many of you would take SCEA if training is mandatory. Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA)
Bookmark "How many of you would take SCEA if training is mandatory." Watch "How many of you would take SCEA if training is mandatory." New topic
Author

How many of you would take SCEA if training is mandatory.

Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

Chinababu Illa wrote:Frank Jones! Can we give all 3 exams without taking the course? Do they allow us to give the exams? I think they don't allow us. Please confirm.

From the Oracle FAQ (you may have to click the link twice to get past their bad country identification scheme):

How does Oracle verify that I have completed the necessary training to receive my Certification?
Upon completion of your Certification track requirements, Candidates are required to complete a Course Submission Form for providing the details of the required course(s). The submitted form will trigger a request for Oracle to verify your attendance in an approved hands-on course. After your attendance has been verified by Oracle, the form will generate a permanent record in Oracle's certification database, showing that you have met the requirement.

That appears to indicate that you can take all 3 parts without having taken the mandatory training.

The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 5: paper version from Amazon, PDF from Apress, Online reference: Books 24x7 Personal blog
Sami Ahmad
Greenhorn

Can't afford, by the way I hate Oracle, all these changes with Sun Certifications to get more money.

Best Regards.

SCJP 6 SCWCD 5
Devendra Dave
Greenhorn

1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)

I have given SCEA Java EE 5 beta exam without any cost by Sun.

--<br />Devendra Dave<br />SCEA J2EE 5, TOGAF 8 Certified
changu mani
Ranch Hand

I can't take it unless my employer sponsors. Education has become business.
Yogesh Tyagi
Ranch Hand

Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)

Yogesh Tyagi
SCJP1.5, SCWCD5.0, SCBCD5.0
Marco Bresciani
Greenhorn

Andrew Monkhouse wrote:That appears to indicate that you can take all 3 parts without having taken the mandatory training.

Yes, but you won't have the certification... Just did... Only after the submission of the courses (and their verification) your certification will be validated and so produced together with certification kit, logos, ...
César Guzmán
Greenhorn

Yes, will take the SCEA

SCJP 5, SCWCD 5
Narayanan Krishnamurthy
Greenhorn

It was my long dream to take up SCEA and bpught books for preparing for it.
But suddenly this Oracle n mandate training came and all my dreams got shattered. Oops whole careeer planning is shifting..
Fadil Wiranata
Greenhorn

In Indonesia, training/exams for OCMJEA are not as expensive as in the US. Training would cost about $1500 and each exam is $150 normally. (Part 1 is still in Beta and priced $50) But those are considered expensive here.
With a little saving, I might be able to complete one of the training (Java Design Patterns is cheaper, $1300) and head for the exams.

Even in remorse, but I choose 2) Yes, will take the SCEA

OCA Java SE6, OCP Java SE6, OCE Java EE6 JPAD, OCE Java EE6 EJBD, OCE Java EE6 WCD, CompTIA Project
Amritendu De
author
Ranch Hand

Was itching to talk about this interesting topic. In my opinion when you are looking forward to take SCEA, money should be secondary.

Think like this. Today you have invested 5000$ on the exam. After 10 years from today the money you invested today will come back to you very easily with the following advantages:

1. Course from Oracle is an investment not a burden
2. Your CV is easily shortlisted for a Java architect position
3. You get respect from peers
4. You can apply the skills you have learnt by taking the certification
5. Your salary increases
6. You get a responsible position at work.

So if you want to get a SCEA tag invest some money and think positively about the advantages.

Senior Architect (SCEA 5, TOGAF 9, IBM OOAD, PMI certified)
[Spring 4 and Hibernate 4: Agile Java Design and Development] [OCMJEA Practice Guide] [OCA Java SE-7 and SE-6 Practice Exams]
Raghvendra Pratap Singh
Greenhorn

Thanks and Regards, Raghvendra Pratap Singh
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking"
Eduardo Bobsin
Greenhorn

peter cooke
Ranch Hand

1) would not take it. the ROI is not there.

I might take it if the company paid for it. But I have not worked for a company in the last 10 years that was willing to even think about paying 3K and my salary for a course.

CIAO Peter M. Cooke
Shiv Swaminathan
Ranch Hand

1. Can't afford.

I wonder why education has become so costly!!!

SCEA EE5, CSM, PMP, IBM OOAD with UML, SCDJWS, SCWCD, SCJP 1.5

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.

subject: How many of you would take SCEA if training is mandatory.