aspose file tools*
The moose likes Servlets and the fly likes What's next after servlets? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Servlets
Bookmark "What Watch "What New topic
Author

What's next after servlets?

Dieter Quickfend
Bartender

I personally disagree with Bear's views on JSF - it's used a great deal, standardized and has quite a few large companies backing it. It's also well-designed, and it's constantly improving and evolving into something better than it used to be. Especially with Seam's support for it, I like where it's going.

Still, one shouldn't discredit knowledge of Servlets - there are quite a few areas in which they overlap, you can't use JSF everywhere so you do need a back-up, and knowledge of servlets will definitely benefit your JSF development as well.

Oracle Certified Professional: Java SE 6 Programmer && Oracle Certified Expert: (JEE 6 Web Component Developer && JEE 6 EJB Developer)
Mark Greenberg
Greenhorn

Pat Farrell wrote:
leo donahue wrote:Blasphemy!

I did not say that no one uses them. I write a new one each week. But they are no longer new or sexy. They are more like the String class. Useful, and used all the time, but no one will get a job just because they put the magic keyword "servlets" on their resume.

There's probably about 9,999,999,999 lines of servlet code in production that someone has to maintain. I know maintaining OPC (other people's code) is not as cool as doing new design and development but if you really want a programming job, maintaing servlets just might get your foot in the door. After that, it's about learning the business and meeting the customer's needs.
Mahesh Panchananam
Greenhorn

List of technologies you can try

DHTMLX - you need to add the javascripts (licenced) & use it to create interactive grids on the web pages.
JQUERY - can be used to handle many functionalities (sorting, validation.. etc)
JSF/RICHFACES - To create rich web application / UIs
Spring MVC - (part of spring framework) web layer functionalities
Struts MVC - web layer functionalities
Hibernate/iBatis - Object relational mapping S/Ws
JPA - Java persistence API (annotation based)
Spring - AOP : aspect oriented programming
Spring - Event Listeners: advanced
Spring Web services - Web service creation & consumption.

Rgds
Mahesh PS

max dev
Greenhorn

Someone locked my original post and directed me here for answers.But none of the replies here clearly tells answers the question.Please,someone at least post all the available technologies under JEE/J2EE .Have to pick from them

[edited for language]
max dev
Greenhorn

Mahesh Panchananam wrote: List of technologies you can try

DHTMLX - you need to add the javascripts (licenced) & use it to create interactive grids on the web pages.
JQUERY - can be used to handle many functionalities (sorting, validation.. etc)
JSF/RICHFACES - To create rich web application / UIs
Spring MVC - (part of spring framework) web layer functionalities
Struts MVC - web layer functionalities
Hibernate/iBatis - Object relational mapping S/Ws
JPA - Java persistence API (annotation based)
Spring - AOP : aspect oriented programming
Spring - Event Listeners: advanced
Spring Web services - Web service creation & consumption.

Rgds
Mahesh PS

good post!
Madhan Sundararajan Devaki
Ranch Hand

I believe, in addition to Servlets, there will be Asynchronous Servlets and its associated fascinating user-stories.

S.D. MADHAN
Not many get the right opportunity !
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Madhan Sundararajan Devaki wrote: there will be Asynchronous Servlets and its associated fascinating user-stories.

You sir, are evil. Will your asynchronous servlets return the answer before getting the GET/POST?

Of course, they can't work over HTTP, so you will need a new protocol for the web :-)
Vishal Hegde
Ranch Hand

Abhay Agarwal wrote:i will say - learn Spring (Core + MVC) and Hibernate. these technology skills are required by many companies.

also you can pursue Oracle certification of Servlets and JSP

~ abhay

Core+MVC is different then JSP and Servlets???

I mean MVC is being reffered to Model View Controller , right??
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Spring Core is the component that provides bean management including dependency injection.

Spring MVC is the web framework.

[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: What's next after servlets?