• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java 7 candidates: OCA, OCP and K&B 6 - take 2

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
OCP Java Programmer II SE7 1Z0-804

I did the exam last week and passed with 73%. I used TF360 and ePractice Labs for mock tests. These alone are not sufficient. I also read all of K&B 6 and covered at least all of the tutorial preparation on the oracle website: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/extra/certi...tion/javase-7-programmer2.html

The exam was quite tough; much more difficult than I expected. In the mock tests I used (see above), I always got around 90%. I was quite calm during the exam, so you can see the difference between the 90% and 73%.

My advice is not to take it lightly; after all the pass grade is 65%. Unfortunately there is no sufficient source of information to help us prepare for this exam, so you have to work on your own, but it is not an impossible exam.

MY ADVICE:

Basically you have to go through all of K&B except chapter 10.

Then all the stuff that was added to the Java SE7 such as:
-multi-catch
-try-with-resources
-know that String types are now allowed in switch statements

java.io.RandomAccessFile with all the access modes such as "rws" (just know that they exist. there is no need to know the details of the "rws" and "rwd")
Serialization, you can leave out Externalizable interface

I would also go through the Java tutorial for the certification.

Wish good luck to all those preparing for this exam.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

i have also attempted the exam. it was quite difficult but thank God someone told me about CertMagic.com. i get through the material it was proved quite helpful for me. You people can also try it may it will prove helpful for you.

Best regards

Elizbeth Duceza

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bert,
Thank you very much

By
Anand
Griffin

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sachin... Patil wrote:Just I have cleared OCJP6 exam with 85%. I would like thank to K & B. K & B's books are very useful for exam. Thank you so much.

which book did you prepare from??

i am too planning to clear it....

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Windows XP Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Bert bate
Will you release your ocpjp 7 book when Oracle will announce JDK1.8 ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
today passed ocajp with 88%, read k & b book, and lots of coding practice.............

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bert Bates wrote:Hi Guys,

If you're studying for the OCA, our book (K&B 6), should give you pretty good coverage.

Could you please clarify this post? You said that for do the OCA 6 I can prepare myself reading the book SCJP 6 (Kathy and Bert). Therefore if I read the SCJP 6 (Kathy and Bert) it's prepared me for the OCA 6 and 7. Is it right?

Thank

Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If you're pursuing the OCP for Java 7 certification, and if you're not already certified, you now have to pass your OCA exam before you can attempt the OCP exam.

If you're studying for the OCA, our book (K&B 6), should give you pretty good coverage. If you study the following chapters from K&B 6 you should be in pretty good shape for the OCA:

chaps: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
chap 6 - the String and StringBuilder sections
chap 7 - the hashCode() and equals() sections, and only the ArrayList class.
chap 10

The chapters (and sections) listed above ARE NOT a perfect overview of everything you might encounter on the real exam, but I'd say they represent a 95% overlap. We'll be nailing down that last 5% over the next several weeks.

In terms of the OCP - we have some MONSTER additions to make to K&B 7 to cover that exam - we're working on it!

hth,

Bert

Hi Bert!!
Thanks for the information about the topics to be studied for the exam!
I want to be OCPJP 7. I have almost completed Head First Java 2nd ed.. Its a really awesome book!!! And I really love learning Java from it!
I have got some other resources for the study, but, I just simply wanted to ask about the new (to be released) book, K&B 7 OCPJP study guide.. How's the work going on?.. (Actually, I want to know whether it is arriving soon as of now.. ) If it is arriving soon, I just want to learn from it!!

Ashish Ramteke
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah!!! I have become Ranch's Hand!!!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi,

I am SCJP 1.5 and I want to appear for Java SE 7 Programmer Certified Professional UPGRADE Certification 1Z0-805. Is it possible to take the exam directly or there is some prerequisite? Please can anybody confirm?

Thanks.

Ashish Ramteke
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think that for taking the upgrade exam there is any pre-requisite, i.e. I think the exam can be taken directly as given in the Oracle website link below:
http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-805&p_org_id=1080544&lang=US

You can also contact Oracle regarding the same and confirm. There is also a "Live Chat" option on that page which you can use to chat with one of their customer service agents and clarify any doubts about the exams.

swatia aole
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for your help Ashish. I chatted with Oracle agent and got confimation, any SCJP version holder or OCJA 6 holder can take up this upgrade test 1Z0-805. and its similar to clearing 1Z0-803+804 certs.

Regards,
Swati

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i am planning for certification .
sir i am parsuing mca and i plan to get scjp certificate
. now tell me how to prepare to score maximum mark nd is it neccesary to get scja /ocja certification before going for ocjp certificate

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is it best to take OCJP 6 or OCJP7 ?

If OCJP6 and in later if I need to take the next level of certification, say for example OCPWCD, then do i need to travel on the same certification path of 6 or Do I need to take the update exam of OCJP 7 and then to proceed ?

If OCJP7 --> I need to take OCJA 7 first and OCJP7 next. I understood that OCJP 7 cannot be taken without completing OCJA 7 . Am I right ?

So which certification path is best OCJP6 or OCJP7 ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I am new to this forum and planning to apply for Java 7 OCA certification but i dont't know where to apply for the OCAJP Exam please can any one help me?

Thanks,
Mangesh

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Everyone,

I am new here. Can anyone tell me difference between OCA 6 SE and OCA 7 SE exam? I have seen there exists difference in both the exam topics.

Thanks,
Suhas

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If you're pursuing the OCP for Java 7 certification, and if you're not already certified, you now have to pass your OCA exam before you can attempt the OCP exam.

If you're studying for the OCA, our book (K&B 6), should give you pretty good coverage. If you study the following chapters from K&B 6 you should be in pretty good shape for the OCA:

chaps: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
chap 6 - the String and StringBuilder sections
chap 7 - the hashCode() and equals() sections, and only the ArrayList class.
chap 10

The chapters (and sections) listed above ARE NOT a perfect overview of everything you might encounter on the real exam, but I'd say they represent a 95% overlap. We'll be nailing down that last 5% over the next several weeks.

In terms of the OCP - we have some MONSTER additions to make to K&B 7 to cover that exam - we're working on it!

hth,

Bert

Does this still hold good?
As the post seems to be little old maybe 1year..is it sufficent enough if learnt the chapters mentioned for ocajp se 7[exam code:1Z0-803]?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

John G Wright wrote:Is it best to take OCJP 6 or OCJP7 ?

If OCJP6 and in later if I need to take the next level of certification, say for example OCPWCD, then do i need to travel on the same certification path of 6 or Do I need to take the update exam of OCJP 7 and then to proceed ?

If OCJP7 --> I need to take OCJA 7 first and OCJP7 next. I understood that OCJP 7 cannot be taken without completing OCJA 7 . Am I right ?

So which certification path is best OCJP6 or OCJP7 ?

In my opinion, both exams have their significance. It is your decision which path to go. I personally prefer that one should look for the latest one.

yes, you can take OCA and OCP in any order; however, you will get the certification only when you clear both.

This blog could be of help.

Nancy Avent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For all newbies the FAQs from following sources could be of help:

SCJP FAQs
OCPJP FAQs

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bert,
I have gone through this post but I just want to confirm again. I am a newbie to Java world and I am willing to give my certification exams I have several questions listed below:

1. should i start with scjp 6or oca 7??
2. if it is oca 7 which book to study for?
3. after oca will i get the certification or i should be giving ocpjp 7 if yes for ocpjp 7 then which book to study ? does the kindle version listed in this forum from amazon help?
4. How do i register for any of these exams?? ( i am right now in camp hill, pa- 17011 - USA).
5. Are there any vouchers available???

A prompt reply on these questions will be appreciated .

Thanks,
Vijaya.

Vijaya Lakshmi V
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can anyone please help me out with my question above.. is it very important to take both oca and ocp exams for ocpjp 7 exam???

Nancy Avent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vijaya Lakshmi V wrote:Hi Bert,
I have gone through this post but I just want to confirm again. I am a newbie to Java world and I am willing to give my certification exams I have several questions listed below:

1. should i start with scjp 6or oca 7??
2. if it is oca 7 which book to study for?
3. after oca will i get the certification or i should be giving ocpjp 7 if yes for ocpjp 7 then which book to study ? does the kindle version listed in this forum from amazon help?
4. How do i register for any of these exams?? ( i am right now in camp hill, pa- 17011 - USA).
5. Are there any vouchers available???

A prompt reply on these questions will be appreciated .

Thanks,
Vijaya.

Hi Vijaya,

For the confusion (SCJP6 or OCPJP 7) take a look at this blog.
For OCAJP there are a few books available (i am not sure which one is good so skipping it).
For OCPJP 7 you can rely on the book by Ganesh/Sharma, I am reading it and totally loving it. This is the only book available currently for OCPJP 7 preparation.
For other FAQs, read this FAQ or OCPJP 7 FAQ. In fact, the first chapter of Ganesh/Sharma book answers all the questions that you have regarding OCPJP 7.

I hope, it is helpful.

Vijaya Lakshmi V
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Nancy Avent for the reply. As per the book I can directly go ahead and give ocpjp 7 and i will still get the certification right?? i already have 2 years of exp.

Nancy Avent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For OCPJP 7 certification, you need to clear two exams OCAJP 7 and OCPJP 7 (in any order).

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations on Your Success Marco

Also good to know that you shared your secrets with us! Nice work!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Maneesh Godbole

Thank you.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,
There is a free online book "OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates (at many websites, just search for it.) Is it for real? It says it's free but asking for credit card information. Thanks.

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi everybody,
is there any news about the release date for K&B for OCPJ7? Amazon says somewhere around December 2014, that's kind of late. I'm afraid Java 8 is out until then. I'm struggling to find books for my preparation. Should I stick to K&B 6 like said before in this thread and learn the additional Java 7 topics
or wait for the new book?

There is a free online book "OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates (at many websites, just search for it.) Is it for real? It says it's free but asking for credit card information. Thanks.

I doubt it's real, since the original one hasn't been released afaik.

Regards,
Bernhard

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sachin... Patil wrote:Just I have cleared OCJP6 exam with 85%. I would like thank to K & B. K & B's books are very useful for exam. Thank you so much.

Hey Sachin,

many congratulations for a great score. I am also preparing for the OCP JP6 exam and following K&B books now. Could you please tell me how do you compare the difficulty level of the Self Test questions at the end of the chapter in K&B Study guide with that in the real exam? Thanks

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am wondering what the general consensus is concerning the book by Edward Finegan and Robert Liquori (OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Study Guide )? Maybe I assumed too much but I assumed it was adequate to pass Exam 1Z0-803.

I have already purchased this book and thus would prefer to use it but if I have to get a different one I will. Thanks for the assistance on my getting started on this. :)

Bernhard Goetz
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Oracle Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bob Scott wrote:I have already purchased this book and thus would prefer to use it but if I have to get a different one I will. Thanks for the assistance on my getting started on this. :)

Hi Bob,
you don't have to get a second book for the certificate. Just buy the enthuware mockup tests. I passed the exam with a high rating and I used the same book. After reading it I did all of the enthuware exams. After every exam I reviewed my questions, read all the question hints of the developers and tried to memorize my weak spots.

Regards Bernhard

Bob Scott
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bernhard Goetz wrote:

Bob Scott wrote:I have already purchased this book and thus would prefer to use it but if I have to get a different one I will. Thanks for the assistance on my getting started on this. :)

Hi Bob,
you don't have to get a second book for the certificate. Just buy the enthuware mockup tests. I passed the exam with a high rating and I used the same book. After reading it I did all of the enthuware exams. After every exam I reviewed my questions, read all the question hints of the developers and tried to memorize my weak spots.

Regards Bernhard

Thanks very much for the timely answer, Bernhard. I will indeed do as you suggest.

Ranch Hand
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi I'm a Mobile Applications developer and thinking if having a certification on this area using Java is quite necessary or it all depends on the company if they require it?

I mean, I am working fine and even i haven't taken any certifications. But of course at the back of my head It would be great to see a certification like this for you to own.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm an SCJP (2005), interested un getting the certification for Java 7. Confused about some older posts here claiming I need two exams, when in Oracle's webpage there's an upgrade path apparently with just one test. Any comments welcome.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
guys i am new to java.... i am so confused about this certification.. i dont knw where to start in java...just help me which course i must do first...plzz guys

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

vaishali babu wrote:guys i am new to java.... i am so confused about this certification.. i dont knw where to start in java...just help me which course i must do first...plzz guys

For java 7 and above (I'm unsure about anything below 7), you need to complete OCA paper before you're allowed to do the OCP.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic