Win a copy of Think Java: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist this week in the Java in General forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

exception while running code

 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Swastik Dey wrote:In you jsp you have something like. What does this mean?
request.getAttribute("userList")!=""

You probably want to make sure that the list not empty?


Problem 2, you are initializing the arraylist inside the loop


So what happens in the above code, every time the loop executes a new arraylist object is created, means it will always store only the last record in the array list. Initialize it before you start the loop.


i make changes suggested by you but still the problem is same.
 
Swastik Dey
Rancher
Posts: 1604
5
Android Java Java ME
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How does the jsp and sevlet part of the code look now?
 
Piyush Mangal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 196
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I believe you know how to debug the code. You can easily dubug the issue yourself and see if dispatcher.forward(request,response) is being called.
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Piyush Mangal wrote:I believe you know how to debug the code. You can easily dubug the issue yourself and see if dispatcher.forward(request,response) is being called.

yes i tried dubug my prog like following


i disabled
//String str = request.getParameter("P_ID");
as it can't take value from previous page
so output was blank page

and when disabled
String nextJSP = "/editUser.jsp";

RequestDispatcher dispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher(nextJSP);
dispatcher.forward(request,response);


then it is printing "connect" which i am trying to print for debug
but through this i'm not getting whats the problem
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Swastik Dey wrote:How does the jsp and sevlet part of the code look now?


servlet page is like following


and jsp page is like following
 
Swastik Dey
Rancher
Posts: 1604
5
Android Java Java ME
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


You should first initialize userList, then do the condition checking. But you need to know one thing that using scriptlets in jsp is not a recommended approach. Jsp is just your view, try to use jstl/el/custom tags etc.
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Swastik Dey wrote:

You should first initialize userList, then do the condition checking. But you need to know one thing that using scriptlets in jsp is not a recommended approach. Jsp is just your view, try to use jstl/el/custom tags etc.


still it is not redirecting me to the next page.
i try to debug the program then also when i am disabling the request dispatcher then only it is printing something.
i make changes for scriptlets but atleast it should redirect me to the jsp page
my main problem is this only it is not redirecting me to jsp page with variable i am passing through session.
 
Swastik Dey
Rancher
Posts: 1604
5
Android Java Java ME
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just for a test, try to forward to some other page may be test.jsp, without using any attributes, and see how it behaves.
 
Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20527
54
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Megha, I've asked you before in http://www.coderanch.com/t/571565/JDBC/java/error-missing-values to remove all the trailing spaces from your code. I had to again fix two of your posts in this thread to fix the forum layout. Can you please try to remove all those trailing spaces yourself from now on? Thanks.
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rob Spoor wrote:Megha, I've asked you before in http://www.coderanch.com/t/571565/JDBC/java/error-missing-values to remove all the trailing spaces from your code. I had to again fix two of your posts in this thread to fix the forum layout. Can you please try to remove all those trailing spaces yourself from now on? Thanks.


sorry but i didn't get about which trailing spaces you are talking , i mean where
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Swastik Dey wrote:Just for a test, try to forward to some other page may be test.jsp, without using any attributes, and see how it behaves.


yes this is redirecting to another jsp page
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Swastik Dey wrote:Just for a test, try to forward to some other page may be test.jsp, without using any attributes, and see how it behaves.


yes this is redirecting on other pages so i thnk there is problem jsp file, but what that i'm not able to find out.
 
Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20527
54
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Megha Singhal wrote:
Rob Spoor wrote:Megha, I've asked you before in http://www.coderanch.com/t/571565/JDBC/java/error-missing-values to remove all the trailing spaces from your code. I had to again fix two of your posts in this thread to fix the forum layout. Can you please try to remove all those trailing spaces yourself from now on? Thanks.


sorry but i didn't get about which trailing spaces you are talking , i mean where

Inside your latest two servlet code tags, the last line had several dozen spaces between the final } and the code end tag. I have since removed those extra spaces.
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rob Spoor wrote:
Megha Singhal wrote:
Rob Spoor wrote:Megha, I've asked you before in http://www.coderanch.com/t/571565/JDBC/java/error-missing-values to remove all the trailing spaces from your code. I had to again fix two of your posts in this thread to fix the forum layout. Can you please try to remove all those trailing spaces yourself from now on? Thanks.


sorry but i didn't get about which trailing spaces you are talking , i mean where

Inside your latest two servlet code tags, the last line had several dozen spaces between the final } and the code end tag. I have since removed those extra spaces.


ok fine.
i'll take care of it in future
 
Megha Singhal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
IBM DB2 Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Swastik Dey wrote:Just for a test, try to forward to some other page may be test.jsp, without using any attributes, and see how it behaves.


as you told me i redirect the page to another jsp and it is redirecting.
can you tell me another method to fetch values in the jsp file using Arraylist or where i'm going wrong
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic