wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Favourite national anthem Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Favourite national anthem" Watch "Favourite national anthem" New topic
Author

Favourite national anthem

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Chris Baron wrote:The Archers video isn't available due to copyright blah...Is it the same tune?

Video??? Wrong 'Archers' methinks.

Anyway, here you go. Enjoy.

Winston

Isn't it funny how there's always time and money enough to do it WRONG?
Articles by Winston can be found here
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Chris Baron wrote:@Matthew: the Nazis never achieved a majority in free elections and they tried several times.

As in most proportional electoral systems with more than 2 major parties competing, they were never likely to; what's more interesting (in my opinion) is that they lost support (> 30 seats) in the short period before Hitler was made Chancellor. They were still, by quite a margin, the largest party in Germany though.

They got empowered by v. Hindenburg who pretty much fulfilled the role of a Ersatz-Kaiser. Wilhelm II was quite a moral arsonist and he f*cked up Germany so royally that he prepared the ground (or tableau) for the nazis.

Perhaps best left to another thread, but I disagree.

Anyways, this is about anthems, not 1930's politics. Anybody have any more?

Winston
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

chris webster wrote:Don't forget the American "My Country Tis Of Thee".

Aaargh. Stop. I can't stand it any more.......

Winston
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Winston Gutkowski wrote:
Chris Baron wrote:The Archers video isn't available due to copyright blah...Is it the same tune?

Video??? Wrong 'Archers' methinks.

Anyway, here you go. Enjoy.

Winston

No no, that's what i see. The reason is our dearest GEMA.
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Chris Baron wrote:No no, that's what i see. The reason is our dearest GEMA.

Oh dear. Well, come to our fair shores, and for a mere £145.50 per year, you get unlimited access to the world's greatest media "Internet elephant", featuring interminable re-runs along, it has to be said, with the occasional gem like 'QI' and 'New Tricks'.

Winston
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

world's greatest media "Internet elephant"

Do you mean BBC or Youtube? On Youtube mainly music is blocked due to GEMA but i've seen many episodes of QI, Top Gear and Mitchell and Webb.
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Chris Baron wrote:Do you mean BBC or Youtube?

Either would qualify, but the Beeb is what we pay for.

Winston
Praveen Kumar M K
Ranch Hand

Your verdict on 'Sherlock'?
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Praveen Kumar M K wrote:Your verdict on 'Sherlock'?

Hmmm. Flawed, but interesting. To me, Jeremy Brett is (or sadly, was) Sherlock Holmes (just as Clive Merrison is on the radio; and probably Basil Rathbone was for many ); but a brave try, nevertheless. I think the episodes were (are?) a bit too long; probably could have been done in a 1-hour format, maybe with a 'cliffhanger' for some stories.

Interesting question. Bit out of left field though.

BTW: If you like that stuff, have you watched 'Whitechapel'? Slightly better, IMHO.

Winston
Praveen Kumar M K
Ranch Hand

Winston Gutkowski wrote:
BTW: If you like that stuff, have you watched 'Whitechapel'? Slightly better, IMHO.

Since we were on the subject of Beeb, I thought I'll just check how 'Sherlock' is faring at its birthplace. I just got introduced to 'Coupling' last week, so I'll put 'WhiteChapel' after that.
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Praveen Kumar M K wrote:Since we were on the subject of Beeb...so I'll put 'WhiteChapel' after that.

It's actually an ITV production (our main commercial TV), so probably worth editing out the ads if you can.

Winston
Pat Farrell
Rancher

I am a huge fan of La Marseillaise Its a great tune, great fighting words, etc.

While I am an American, I think The Star Spangled Banner is a terrible anthem. Its un-singable by 99% of the people, the range is simply too wide
unless you are a trained singer. The tune is lame (and an old drinking song) and the words are commemorating a trivial battle of a trivial war.

Paul Clapham
Bartender

Pat Farrell wrote:... the words are commemorating a trivial battle of a trivial war.

That may be true, but the words aren't really that important. Remember that when the Australians were voting on a new national anthem a few years back, a large minority voted for "Waltzing Matilda".
Pat Farrell
Rancher

chris webster wrote:Don't forget the American "My Country Tis Of Thee".

You mean God Save the Queen, right?

That is a wretched song no matter what the words are.
pramod talekar
Ranch Hand

Hey Winston,

Check this out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9zKg-Nkauk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=RNmsdPeg-6Y

Thanks,
Pramod

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Favourite national anthem