Meaningless Drivel is fun!
The moose likes Associate Certification (OCAJP 7/8) and the fly likes Updated: OCA 7/8 study materials Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Associate Certification (OCAJP 7/8)
Bookmark "Updated: OCA 7/8 study materials" Watch "Updated: OCA 7/8 study materials" New topic
Author

Updated: OCA 7/8 study materials

Meherdad Bomanbehram
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 28, 2007
Posts: 140

Could someone recommend a good book for " Upgrade to Java SE 7 Programmer | 1Z0-805" .As I understand we are still waiting for Bert and Kathy. but till then What would be a comparable book to refer to ?

Thanks
-Meherdad
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff

Joined: Jul 19, 2004
Posts: 6614
    
  24

Meherdad Bomanbehram wrote:Could someone recommend a good book for " Upgrade to Java SE 7 Programmer | 1Z0-805" .As I understand we are still waiting for Bert and Kathy. but till then What would be a comparable book to refer to ?

Besides k&B7, I know Mala Gupta is also working on an OCPJP7 study guide. For the OCPJP7 it's slim pickings at this moment. As far as I know currently the only book you have is Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 7 Programmer Exams 1Z0-804 and 1Z0-805. I haven't read that one, so I don't know if it's good quality or not.


SCJA, SCJP (1.4 | 5.0 | 6.0), SCJD
OCAJP 7
Meherdad Bomanbehram
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 28, 2007
Posts: 140

Thanks Roel.
Mohammed Amine Bagdouri
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 25, 2014
Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

Here is my summary for all points tested on the OCA Java SE 7 exam.
I got 93% with this document.
I very much recommend it.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/07tm53oaou63rae/OCA_Summary.pdf
Sergej Smoljanov
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 20, 2014
Posts: 199
    
    3
OCA Study Guide - Edward Finegan and Robert Liguori

this is good book has many errors if you want have experience to find it.
if you confusing with if then in java - your confusing become stronger.
one other of problem unreachable statements - author use IDE that correct some mistakes. People who use it in preparation must check all code that give author (javac/java - book has strong explanation how to use it - one that likes in book).
I will not recommend this book if you not ready to find mistakes in book.
ps. After quick review i decide not use this book in preparation.
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff

Joined: Jul 19, 2004
Posts: 6614
    
  24

Sergej Smoljanov wrote:
OCA Study Guide - Edward Finegan and Robert Liguori

this is good book has many errors if you want have experience to find it.

A study guide with many errors can never be a good book! A study guide is intended to learn people the concepts and syntax correctly and pass the exam, not to find mistakes in a book. It's of course through that you have good/excellent understanding of the exam topics if you can spot (and correct) mistakes in a study guide. But I prefer buying some mock exams to test my knowledge instead of a study guide trying to spot as many mistakes as possible

(Disclaimer: I didn't have read this study guide myself. The reviews on Amazon are very mixed: from 5 stars to just 1 star)
Andrea Black
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2014
Posts: 52
OCA/OCP Java SE & Programmer I & II Study Guide by Sierra & Bates arrived from Amazon today, and I'm already reading and enjoying it!
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff

Joined: Jul 19, 2004
Posts: 6614
    
  24

Andrea Black wrote:OCA/OCP Java SE & Programmer I & II Study Guide by Sierra & Bates arrived from Amazon today

Added to the list (in the 1st post of this thread).
Filip Djuricic
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 25, 2014
Posts: 2
Guys i am planning to try and pass OCA in January, and OCP in May probably, is OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 1Z0-804) by Kathy Sierra Good? Thanks in Advance!
Roel De Nijs
Sheriff

Joined: Jul 19, 2004
Posts: 6614
    
  24

Hi Filip,

First of all, a warm welcome to the CodeRanch!

Filip Djuricic wrote:is OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 1Z0-804) by Kathy Sierra Good?

I think it's the best book on the market which covers both exams. I used these study guides myself to pass SCJP 1.4, 5.0 and 6.0.

Good luck!
Kind regards,
Roel
Filip Djuricic
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 25, 2014
Posts: 2
Roel De Nijs wrote:Hi Filip,

First of all, a warm welcome to the CodeRanch!

Filip Djuricic wrote:is OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 1Z0-804) by Kathy Sierra Good?

I think it's the best book on the market which covers both exams. I used these study guides myself to pass SCJP 1.4, 5.0 and 6.0.

Good luck!
Kind regards,
Roel


Thanks Roel, i am definitely going to buy it.
Sergej Smoljanov
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 20, 2014
Posts: 199
    
    3
OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-808
(i not read, for adding to other material)
Guilherme Silveira
author
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 25, 2001
Posts: 5
    
    5
Hello guys,

Here is another addition to the list for both certifications, the latest 8 and the previous 7:

- Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I - 1Z0-808
- Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 7 Programmer I - 1Z0-804

Java SE 8 Programmer I: Guide to the Oracle Certified Associate

-------------------------
Guilherme Silveira
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 23, 2000
Posts: 3427
    
    8
JA+ V8 for OCA-JP SE 8 (1Z0-808) from Enthuware is now available!


Enthuware - Best Mock Exams and Questions for Oracle/Sun Java Certifications
Quality Guaranteed - Pass or Full Refund!
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Updated: OCA 7/8 study materials