• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

pillars of java

Marshal
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Jesper de Jong wrote: . . . It was moved from one of those forums to Meaningless Drivel, because the whole questions is strange and meaningless. . . .

And it was becoming stranger and more meaningless every reply.

I think I moved it.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It depresses me that someone out there has come up with some bogus concept of "pillars of Java", as if programming skill were a mystical system of thought like the Kabbalah -- and is trying to foist it on unsuspecting beginners.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Googling for pillars of OOP does come up with several hits, most of them directed towards "common interview questions", and some of them even leading to books. I would like to know who comes up with it, too!

Bartender
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

sneha ulhe wrote:can anyone please tell me which are three minor pillars of java?

Granted, this would have been funnier earlier in the thread. Nonetheless...

Doric, Ionic and Corinthian? http://pgapworld.wikispaces.com/file/view/doric_ionic_corinthian.jpg/39518350/doric_ionic_corinthian.jpg

Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My Greek architectural knowledge is a bit rusty but aren't these the classical 3 Orders of Greek architecture which support some of the greatest ancient buildings to be still standing today.
I'm not sure the ancient Greeks would be happy for these to be referred to as "The three minor pillars"

Ranch Hand
Android Netbeans IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interviewers half of the time are BS, and the questions are BS. It's also funny that everyone isfighting about what the correct answers are LOL. Good luck all!

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jay Orsaw wrote:Interviewers half of the time are BS, and the questions are BS. It's also funny that everyone isfighting about what the correct answers are LOL. Good luck all!

I wouldn't say we are fighting over the correct answer, but instead, are discussing whether there is a correct answer at all.

Rancher
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Bhaware wrote:Reputed websites like ... roseindia ...

That would be the funniest thing I've read in a while if I didn't think it was meant seriously. That being the case, it's just sad to see it mentioned alongside StackOverflow and JavaRanch.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:

Tushar Bhaware wrote:Reputed websites like ... roseindia ...

That would be the funniest thing I've read in a while if I didn't think it was meant seriously. That being the case, it's just sad to see it mentioned alongside StackOverflow and JavaRanch.

According to Alexa.com (web information site) ,

Site Information for coderanch.com
Alexa Traffic Rank: 5,133 Traffic Rank in IN: 1,128
Sites Linking In: 1,034

Site Information for stackoverflow.com
Alexa Traffic Rank: 84 Traffic Rank in IN: 28
Sites Linking In: 42,826

Site Information for roseindia.net
Alexa Traffic Rank: 4,150 Traffic Rank in IN: 751
Sites Linking In: 4,308

According to this information,what i wrote is not wrong. It might have different kind of approach when it comes to java and other technologies but they are still doing decent jobs. You can find many useful information and examples over there also. You might wanna check it out once a while.

Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just checked your designation,You might not need this websites but it is very helpful for beginners like me. They got many tutorials.They explain with example always. so that's kind of useful.
Anyway it still doesn't change my point, these two websites stackoverflow and roseindia have also fueled the ignorance about major-minor thing.
And lastly, although site ranking may be behind stackoverflow and roseindia,I still considered javaranch better than these two websites because here there are so many authors including my fav. K&B.
Many experienced people having up to 20-30 year of experience and mostly very friendly environment for beginners like me.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Bhaware wrote:According to this information,what i wrote is not wrong.

Yes, it is. You're equating traffic to a site with quality of content on the site. That's a strange notion, and especially so for a site like Roseindia that is known for really crappy content.

Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:
especially so for a site like Roseindia that is known for really crappy content.

really??? I always thought it is useful,examples are useful. May be when i learn more and get quite experienced, i will come to know about its crappy content.
But for now, I will take your word on this.
But can you tell me how stackoverflow also got this wrong? You consider it reputed,right?

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
StackOverflow is a good (reliable) site, but it is based on a completely different philosophy than the Ranch. For example, discussion like this couldn't ever take place on StackOverflow.

Tony Docherty
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

But can you tell me how stackoverflow also got this wrong?

Stackoverflow hasn't got it wrong, a few individual contributers have. Stackoverflow, like here, is a collection of volunteers that give their knowledge, opinions etc for free. Anyone can say anything they like, it's not necessarily the truth it may just be someone's misguided opinion. You need to get out of the habit of believing something just because it's posted on a Java forum, there's a lot of mis-information out there.

One of the nice things about this site is the ratio of active moderators and contributors to the number of posts. Having the right size contributor base means if incorrect advice is given by a poster (and most of us have done so at one time or other) then it is generally quickly corrected.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think the problem with Roseindia might be that there is some good stuff. That obscures the bad stuff, and users do not know they are reading rubbish. That actually makes it worse.

Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:StackOverflow is a good (reliable) site, but it is based on a completely different philosophy than the Ranch. For example, discussion like this couldn't ever take place on StackOverflow.

Yes. That's one of most useful feature of this site. Even if you don't ask question,Just being online on this website and reading other peoples discussion can greatly improve your knowledge.
I mostly do that, go to different forum and read question & answers. So far,it has been helped me a lot.

Tony Docherty wrote:
Stackoverflow hasn't got it wrong, a few individual contributers have.

Yeah, you are right but admin of that should have corrected it, may they don't have as much active moderators and contributors like javaranch.

Campbell Ritchie wrote:
I think the problem with Roseindia might be that there is some good stuff. That obscures the bad stuff, and users do not know they are reading rubbish. That actually makes it worse.

Yes Sir. It might be that case. It has some good content,at least i found useful. Most of the programs work,most of the solutions from that site works well in projects as well. I have found some solutions that doesn't work but it has happened with most of the other websites as well including stackoverflow.
I don't know when you guys say bad stuff means what, it may refer to bad programming style.It might be case, i am not expert in that field. They use a lot of Scriptlets which is not good thing though. I came to knew about JSTL after having conversation with Bear Bibeault on javaranch.
But most of the user's don't know this unless they come to good website like ours javaranch.

Thank you all guys making such effort to clear our doubts and polish our concepts.

Bartender
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring VI Editor Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah; we have a similar situation in the UK, the horrors of having to deal with recruitment agencies. Its very rare to find one that understands the technical aspects of the roles they represent; so you get ‘how many years have you used XXXXXX’ as a basis to screen out applications… At least they don't attempt to ask any questions like 'Pillars of Java!!'

I've started to use the process of interviews as an insight into how the role would turn out - and sometimes its just eaiser to realise that its not for you, and there will be other jobs that are better suited.

Tony Docherty
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Yeah, you are right but admin of that should have corrected it, may they don't have as much active moderators and contributors like javaranch.

Or there may be too many contributors for the number of moderators, quantity isn't everything.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry if you all think that this post is meaningless,but it was a question asked to me in interview and i thought that I can get it's answer here on javaranch ,as I am a student I don't have much knowledge..

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You had the misfortune to be asked a meaningless question. Although this thread started off sensibly, it degenerated so quickly it would have caused confusion in its original location. That is why I moved it hither.
The question about what the three pillars are really means can you guess what the interviewer is thinking. There is a story in a Richard Gordon book about two examiners, one of whom could just feel the patient’s spleen, and the other couldn’t. Whether candidates passed depended more on who examined them than their knowledge. The correct answer to, “what are the three pillars?“ is, “there is no such thing as three pillars.”

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Juliana Schmidt wrote:

sneha ulhe wrote:can anyone please tell me which are three minor pillars of java?

Encapsulation, Polymorphism, and Inheritance.

Those are the "major" pillars of OOP languages such as Java & Abstraction is the fourth.

dennis deems
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Google Singh wrote:

Juliana Schmidt wrote:

Those are the "major" pillars of OOP languages such as Java & Abstraction is the fourth.

Welcome to the Ranch! Is "Google" your real name? I think we'd all be interested to know the source from which you derive this knowledge. Please inform us!

Jayesh A Lalwani
Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I remember someone named their baby "Google" in 2005 or 2006 . It's highly unlikely he is old enough to post on Java ranch. In 10 years, you never know!

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The great "Singh" family has this problem... there are so many of them, ordinary first names become ambiguous very easily. Hence the strategy of choosing an unusual first name.

Bhola Singh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Dennis Deems wrote:

Google Singh wrote:

Juliana Schmidt wrote:

Welcome to the Ranch! Is "Google" your real name? I think we'd all be interested to know the source from which you derive this knowledge. Please inform us!

Shh! the source is a secret!!

Bhola Singh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:I remember someone named their baby "Google" in 2005 or 2006 . It's highly unlikely he is old enough to post on Java ranch. In 10 years, you never know!

I tried my original name, but here the name is already taken, so I decided to try something...er...different!
looks like i overdid it...

Bhola Singh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:The great "Singh" family has this problem... there are so many of them, ordinary first names become ambiguous very easily. Hence the strategy of choosing an unusual first name.

Bang on point!

dennis deems
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I finally hunted down the real pillars of java:

whippersnapper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@My resume looks exactly like Dorothy Parker's.

The "you might as well live" one? (Quoting from memory.)

dennis deems
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Michael Matola wrote:@My resume looks exactly like Dorothy Parker's.

The "you might as well live" one? (Quoting from memory.)

That's the one.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic