wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes pillars of java Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "pillars of java" Watch "pillars of java" New topic
Author

pillars of java

Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Jesper de Jong wrote: . . . It was moved from one of those forums to Meaningless Drivel, because the whole questions is strange and meaningless. . . .
And it was becoming stranger and more meaningless every reply.

I think I moved it.
dennis deems
Ranch Hand

It depresses me that someone out there has come up with some bogus concept of "pillars of Java", as if programming skill were a mystical system of thought like the Kabbalah -- and is trying to foist it on unsuspecting beginners.
Jayesh A Lalwani
Bartender

Googling for pillars of OOP does come up with several hits, most of them directed towards "common interview questions", and some of them even leading to books. I would like to know who comes up with it, too!
Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand

sneha ulhe wrote:can anyone please tell me which are three minor pillars of java?

Granted, this would have been funnier earlier in the thread. Nonetheless...

Doric, Ionic and Corinthian? http://pgapworld.wikispaces.com/file/view/doric_ionic_corinthian.jpg/39518350/doric_ionic_corinthian.jpg
Tony Docherty
Bartender

My Greek architectural knowledge is a bit rusty but aren't these the classical 3 Orders of Greek architecture which support some of the greatest ancient buildings to be still standing today.
I'm not sure the ancient Greeks would be happy for these to be referred to as "The three minor pillars"
Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Interviewers half of the time are BS, and the questions are BS. It's also funny that everyone isfighting about what the correct answers are LOL. Good luck all!
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Jay Orsaw wrote:Interviewers half of the time are BS, and the questions are BS. It's also funny that everyone isfighting about what the correct answers are LOL. Good luck all!

I wouldn't say we are fighting over the correct answer, but instead, are discussing whether there is a correct answer at all.

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Tushar Bhaware wrote:Reputed websites like ... roseindia ...

That would be the funniest thing I've read in a while if I didn't think it was meant seriously. That being the case, it's just sad to see it mentioned alongside StackOverflow and JavaRanch.

Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand

Ulf Dittmer wrote:
Tushar Bhaware wrote:Reputed websites like ... roseindia ...

That would be the funniest thing I've read in a while if I didn't think it was meant seriously. That being the case, it's just sad to see it mentioned alongside StackOverflow and JavaRanch.

According to Alexa.com (web information site) ,

Site Information for coderanch.com
Alexa Traffic Rank: 5,133 Traffic Rank in IN: 1,128
Sites Linking In: 1,034

Site Information for stackoverflow.com
Alexa Traffic Rank: 84 Traffic Rank in IN: 28
Sites Linking In: 42,826

Site Information for roseindia.net
Alexa Traffic Rank: 4,150 Traffic Rank in IN: 751
Sites Linking In: 4,308

According to this information,what i wrote is not wrong. It might have different kind of approach when it comes to java and other technologies but they are still doing decent jobs. You can find many useful information and examples over there also. You might wanna check it out once a while.

Remember you have not inherited earth from your ancestor,you only borrowed it from your descendants.
Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand

I just checked your designation,You might not need this websites but it is very helpful for beginners like me. They got many tutorials.They explain with example always. so that's kind of useful.
Anyway it still doesn't change my point, these two websites stackoverflow and roseindia have also fueled the ignorance about major-minor thing.
And lastly, although site ranking may be behind stackoverflow and roseindia,I still considered javaranch better than these two websites because here there are so many authors including my fav. K&B.
Many experienced people having up to 20-30 year of experience and mostly very friendly environment for beginners like me.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Tushar Bhaware wrote:According to this information,what i wrote is not wrong.

Yes, it is. You're equating traffic to a site with quality of content on the site. That's a strange notion, and especially so for a site like Roseindia that is known for really crappy content.
Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand

Ulf Dittmer wrote:
especially so for a site like Roseindia that is known for really crappy content.

really??? I always thought it is useful,examples are useful. May be when i learn more and get quite experienced, i will come to know about its crappy content.
But for now, I will take your word on this.
But can you tell me how stackoverflow also got this wrong? You consider it reputed,right?
Martin Vajsar
Sheriff

StackOverflow is a good (reliable) site, but it is based on a completely different philosophy than the Ranch. For example, discussion like this couldn't ever take place on StackOverflow.
Tony Docherty
Bartender

But can you tell me how stackoverflow also got this wrong?

Stackoverflow hasn't got it wrong, a few individual contributers have. Stackoverflow, like here, is a collection of volunteers that give their knowledge, opinions etc for free. Anyone can say anything they like, it's not necessarily the truth it may just be someone's misguided opinion. You need to get out of the habit of believing something just because it's posted on a Java forum, there's a lot of mis-information out there.

One of the nice things about this site is the ratio of active moderators and contributors to the number of posts. Having the right size contributor base means if incorrect advice is given by a poster (and most of us have done so at one time or other) then it is generally quickly corrected.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

I think the problem with Roseindia might be that there is some good stuff. That obscures the bad stuff, and users do not know they are reading rubbish. That actually makes it worse.
Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand

Martin Vajsar wrote:StackOverflow is a good (reliable) site, but it is based on a completely different philosophy than the Ranch. For example, discussion like this couldn't ever take place on StackOverflow.

Yes. That's one of most useful feature of this site. Even if you don't ask question,Just being online on this website and reading other peoples discussion can greatly improve your knowledge.
I mostly do that, go to different forum and read question & answers. So far,it has been helped me a lot.
Tony Docherty wrote:
Stackoverflow hasn't got it wrong, a few individual contributers have.

Yeah, you are right but admin of that should have corrected it, may they don't have as much active moderators and contributors like javaranch.
Campbell Ritchie wrote:
I think the problem with Roseindia might be that there is some good stuff. That obscures the bad stuff, and users do not know they are reading rubbish. That actually makes it worse.

Yes Sir. It might be that case. It has some good content,at least i found useful. Most of the programs work,most of the solutions from that site works well in projects as well. I have found some solutions that doesn't work but it has happened with most of the other websites as well including stackoverflow.
I don't know when you guys say bad stuff means what, it may refer to bad programming style.It might be case, i am not expert in that field. They use a lot of Scriptlets which is not good thing though. I came to knew about JSTL after having conversation with Bear Bibeault on javaranch.
But most of the user's don't know this unless they come to good website like ours javaranch.

Thank you all guys making such effort to clear our doubts and polish our concepts.
Peter Rooke
Ranch Hand

Yeah; we have a similar situation in the UK, the horrors of having to deal with recruitment agencies. Its very rare to find one that understands the technical aspects of the roles they represent; so you get ‘how many years have you used XXXXXX’ as a basis to screen out applications… At least they don't attempt to ask any questions like 'Pillars of Java!!'

I've started to use the process of interviews as an insight into how the role would turn out - and sometimes its just eaiser to realise that its not for you, and there will be other jobs that are better suited.

Regards Pete
Tony Docherty
Bartender

Yeah, you are right but admin of that should have corrected it, may they don't have as much active moderators and contributors like javaranch.

Or there may be too many contributors for the number of moderators, quantity isn't everything.
sneha ulhe
Ranch Hand

Sorry if you all think that this post is meaningless,but it was a question asked to me in interview and i thought that I can get it's answer here on javaranch ,as I am a student I don't have much knowledge..

Sneha
[OCJP 6]
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

You had the misfortune to be asked a meaningless question. Although this thread started off sensibly, it degenerated so quickly it would have caused confusion in its original location. That is why I moved it hither.
The question about what the three pillars are really means can you guess what the interviewer is thinking. There is a story in a Richard Gordon book about two examiners, one of whom could just feel the patient’s spleen, and the other couldn’t. Whether candidates passed depended more on who examined them than their knowledge. The correct answer to, “what are the three pillars?“ is, “there is no such thing as three pillars.”
Bhola Singh
Greenhorn

Juliana Schmidt wrote:
sneha ulhe wrote:can anyone please tell me which are three minor pillars of java?

Encapsulation, Polymorphism, and Inheritance.

Those are the "major" pillars of OOP languages such as Java & Abstraction is the fourth.

Reality is a Perception.
dennis deems
Ranch Hand

Google Singh wrote:
Juliana Schmidt wrote:

Those are the "major" pillars of OOP languages such as Java & Abstraction is the fourth.

Welcome to the Ranch! Is "Google" your real name? I think we'd all be interested to know the source from which you derive this knowledge. Please inform us!
Jayesh A Lalwani
Bartender

I remember someone named their baby "Google" in 2005 or 2006 . It's highly unlikely he is old enough to post on Java ranch. In 10 years, you never know!
Paul Clapham
Bartender

The great "Singh" family has this problem... there are so many of them, ordinary first names become ambiguous very easily. Hence the strategy of choosing an unusual first name.

Bhola Singh
Greenhorn

Dennis Deems wrote:
Google Singh wrote:
Juliana Schmidt wrote:

Welcome to the Ranch! Is "Google" your real name? I think we'd all be interested to know the source from which you derive this knowledge. Please inform us!

Shh! the source is a secret!!

Bhola Singh
Greenhorn

Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:I remember someone named their baby "Google" in 2005 or 2006 . It's highly unlikely he is old enough to post on Java ranch. In 10 years, you never know!

I tried my original name, but here the name is already taken, so I decided to try something...er...different!
looks like i overdid it...
Bhola Singh
Greenhorn

Paul Clapham wrote:The great "Singh" family has this problem... there are so many of them, ordinary first names become ambiguous very easily. Hence the strategy of choosing an unusual first name.

Bang on point!
dennis deems
Ranch Hand

I finally hunted down the real pillars of java:

Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

@My resume looks exactly like Dorothy Parker's.

The "you might as well live" one? (Quoting from memory.)
dennis deems
Ranch Hand

Michael Matola wrote:@My resume looks exactly like Dorothy Parker's.

The "you might as well live" one? (Quoting from memory.)

That's the one.

wood burning stoves

subject: pillars of java