wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Your biggest movie disappointments Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Your biggest movie disappointments" Watch "Your biggest movie disappointments" New topic
Author

Your biggest movie disappointments

Anayonkar Shivalkar
Bartender

Disappointments:
You'll meet a tall dark stranger: I simply went for this due to star-cast. However, movie was such lengthy and boring, that I was actually waiting it to end.
Speed Racer: Having seen the cartoon series, I was expecting movie to be good. However, first time in life (and perhaps last) I got 'color sickness'. Yes, the colors in special effects are that bad.

Better sequels:
Godfather 2 (yes, it has been mentioned, but this is the first one which comes to my mind)
Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift
Ocean's Twelve: IMHO, the twists and turns are even better than first part
Matrix Reloaded: Yes, most of the people hate part 2 and 3. However, for me, this part is actually the core of trilogy. This is where we get to know what and why.

Regards,
Anayonkar Shivalkar (SCJP, SCWCD, OCMJD, OCEEJBD)
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Wonderful chaps (and chapesses). Keep 'em coming.

Another one of mine: Bright Lights, Big City - Basically, Michael J. Fox's "next" movie after the delightful, bouncy 'The Secret of My Succe$s' (although, to me, the real stars of that movie were Margaret Whitton, and the wonderful "Oh Yeah", by Yello).
Only 107 minutes long, but they're minutes I'll never get back; and they seemed so much longer. Pointless, banal and nihilist - not a good combo in my book.

Winston

Isn't it funny how there's always time and money enough to do it WRONG?
Articles by Winston can be found here
Tim Cooke
Bartender

For my second entry into this list

Leon (The Director's Cut) Also released as "The Professional" in America.

This movie is both one of my favourites, and one the most disappointing. I have a VHS copy of this movie as it was originally released, the "Theatrical Version" I suppose, and I loved it, loved it, loved it. I still love it. (Note to self: dig out VHS player). So you can imagine my excitement when years later I stumbled upon the "Director's Cut" on DVD. I couldn't wait to see it..... well.... don't I wish I hadn't. Practically ruined one of my favourite movies for a long long time. Whereas in the original you could probably believe that the relationship between Leon and Mathilda is platonic, like Guardian and Child, the extended version completely blows that away. It totally changed the tone of the movie and spoiled it for me.

I still love the movie and Gary Oldman is terrifyingly convincing as a power-crazed nut-job. But if you love the original and haven't seen the extended version... I envy you greatly.

Tim Driven Development
Matthew Brown
Bartender

I'm having difficulty thinking of anything recent, but here are a couple that spring to mind.

Eyes Wide Shut. It's Stanley Kubrick - his last film, no less. It must be good, right? I found myself laughing a parts of it, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be a comedy.

The Day of the Triffids (1962 version). My all time least-favourite adaptation of a book. Simply because they took what was one of my favourite books as a kid, and pointlessly changed everything. The main character becomes a naval captain instead of a botanist. The two main female characters are combined into one. Half the action gets moved to France for some reason. Oh yes, and they have these two new characters stuck in a lighthouse just so they can tack on a silly happy ending where salt-water is discovered to kill triffids.

(It's probably not as bad as I remember, but I can still remember the annoyance. I haven't seen the more recent version, so I don't know if that's any better, but I did like the 1980s BBC series).
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Tim Cooke wrote:Leon (The Director's Cut) Also released as "The Professional" in America.

I watched the short version of this, mostly because I knew a guy who did some of the stunts (Gregg Smrz). This movie set me up, as in it, Natalie Portman does a great job of acting.

Of course, a storefront mannequin had more acting chops than she showed in the evil Star Wars 1 thru 3.

Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

Three Kings. Given the actors, I had high hopes, but I never found the characters likeable at all, which spoiled the movie.

The movie I am really looking forward to next month is Ender's Game. I have such high hopes for it though, that I know I could be setting myself up to be disappointed.

The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 5: paper version from Amazon, PDF from Apress, Online reference: Books 24x7 Personal blog
Ankit Garg
Sheriff

I had high expectations for G.I. Joe: Retaliation and it was equally bad...

SCJP 6 | SCWCD 5 | Javaranch SCJP FAQ | SCWCD Links
Tim Cooke
Bartender

I don't normally drag up old threads like this but..... I have just watched Only God Forgives

If you are considering it, don't... just don't. Slow, weird, boring.
Heena Agarwal
Ranch Hand

Many of you might have loved it, but for me the movie 'The wolf of wall street' was a big disappointment. So I'll add it to this thread.

I fail to understand how it got an 8.7 on IMDb. I think it was nothing but an overly hyped movie full of repetitive stuff that did no justice to an interesting subject ( the way they presented things is an exaggeration in my opinion ).

The movie seemed longer than it really was. I was done with two large size popcorn mugs and it wouldn't end still. It was a big disappointment.
Robert D. Smith
Ranch Hand

An interesting topic. Glad it was resurrected. I found that I am in agreement with just about every movie listed.

But I'm gonna go with Battlefield Earth. The spousal unit wanted to see U-571, but I convinced her to see that --- it was so bad I can't even come up with a proper adjective to describe it. And some 14 years later I still paying. The popcorn was good, though, so it wasn't a total loss,

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. Ray Bradbury

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Your biggest movie disappointments