the trailboss abuses his CodeRanch power for his other stuff (power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely is kinda neat!)
permaculture light bulbs permaculture electric heat permaculture cast iron permaculture wood burning stove permaculture solar food dehydrators
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Gaming experiences - good or bad Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Gaming experiences - good or bad" Watch "Gaming experiences - good or bad" New topic
Author

Gaming experiences - good or bad

Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Jelle Klap wrote:The DLC focussing on Daud was pretty good as well.

Agreed -- I played that recently, and now I'm playing through the second part "The Brigmore Witches" DLC. Much fun.

[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Jelle Klap
Bartender

I think I prefer the Knife of Dunwall DLC to Brigmore Witches, but not by much. The Dunwall City Trials are also fun to try at least once. Well, the stealth based missions anyway, of which I prefer the Mystery Foe, because it's fun to have to sneak around and narrow down the identify of your target first, like in the Lady Boyle mission.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Jelle Klap
Bartender

Just finished the Grounded difficulty playthrough of TLoU Remastered. It's just soul crushingly hard in some areas, where you can't utilize stealth mostly. Lack of UI really does add to the experience. The ending still blows me away. Enjoying the soundtrack to the credits now, for the 7th time. Will be starting Grounded+ in a minute or two.
Oleksandr Mykhailov
Greenhorn

I've got little question. I am found of PlayStation and I am going to buy one next year. But the problem is that I have not enough money to buy next-gen PS4.
So the question is, should I wait a little to buy PS4? And how long will PS3 will be supported by SONY?

"It should be noted that no ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a parameter." - Nathaniel Borenstein
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Coincidentally, a friend who is into gaming visits every year at this time. We have a tradition of eating at a particular restaurant and then visiting a GameStop that's next door.

We talked a bit specifically about the PS4 versus PS3. He had gone ahead and bought a PS4 and has bought exactly one game for it so far. The rest of the time he is still playing PS3 games (and he has a Wii as well).

For me, I still have a sizable stack of PS3 games that I have yet to play (as well as some favorites that I want to replay), so I have no incentive to buy into a PS4 at this point.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Got Destiny as a birthday gift -- just started playing. It's interesting in that it has both the aspects of a FPS and an online MMO (without the first M).
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

P.S Really looking forward to Dragon Age Inquisition.
Robert D. Smith
Ranch Hand

I was very excited to play Destiny And while I like the game, really like the environment and story line, I found that it is yet another game that seems geared towards forcing one to group. Yes, I know -- that's what the MP stands for, but some of us like to solo.

Been spending my free time on Shadow of Mordor. Combat is interesting. Stealth is along the lines of AC4. Storyline is meh. But the nemesis system is very cool. I screwed up early and let the same mob kill me multiple times -- the things now a brute, and I find myself running away from him.

Have played all the Dragon Age games. Each seems to get better than the previous, which is very rare in today's games. Looking forward to Inquisition.

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. Ray Bradbury
Jelle Klap
Bartender

Bear Bibeault wrote:For me, I still have a sizable stack of PS3 games that I have yet to play (as well as some favorites that I want to replay), so I have no incentive to buy into a PS4 at this point.

That's how I felt about PS4, and still kind of do; for PS3 users there isn't much incentive to make the switch yet. As a media device...bwahahaha, no.
The reason I got the PS4 was that The Last of Us: Remastered bundle hit the shelves earlier than I expected it to, and I couldn't help myself
My PS4 collection is currently limited to TLoU: Remastered, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Metro Redux (2 games), and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (recommended by the way!).
At the momment I'm back on PS3 again, playing Far Cry: The Wild Expedition, which includes, Far Cry, Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Robert D. Smith wrote:I was very excited to play Destiny And while I like the game, really like the environment and story line, I found that it is yet another game that seems geared towards forcing one to group. Yes, I know -- that's what the MP stands for, but some of us like to solo.

Yeah, I've never done any cooperative play -- always been solo -- so this will be a first for me. I probably wouldn't have picked up the game on my own for this reason.

But for the stage I'm at (just beginning -- only at level 3) it's been all solo. I like that you are not forced to group if you don't want to (at least not yet -- I think I read there are certain later missions that require it), and if you do group, it's on a small scale with people (supposedly) picked to be compatible with your level. I'm actually somewhat interested to see how that works out having never played an online game before.

Have played all the Dragon Age games.

I've only played Origins (multiple times with various character classes). Dragon Age 2 got so much bad press, I've avoided it thus far.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Anyone have an upfront opinion on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare?

I've enjoyed previous CoD games. I'm wondering if the advanced weaponry aspect will add something fresh and new to the game series.
Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand

It is probably really peculiar for a software engineer, but I never play computer games. I am sorry! I guess I am a little strange.

Jelle Klap
Bartender

Bear Bibeault wrote:Anyone have an upfront opinion on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare?

I've enjoyed previous CoD games. I'm wondering if the advanced weaponry aspect will add something fresh and new to the game series.

Not that psyched about Advanced Warfare. I liked MW and MW2 fine, but MW3 I found pretty 'meh'. Never tried Ghosts or any of the Black Ops games.
I much prefer the WW2 setting to the modern or future era settings, and I hope the series will go back to that in a future installment. Though on the whole I'm not as interested in the run-and-gun type games as I used to be. I almost exclusively limit my time to singleplayer, and I enjoy a good story told well far more than 8-10 hours of just blowing stuff up - or away.
Jelle Klap
Bartender

Jan de Boer wrote:It is probably really peculiar for a software engineer, but I never play computer games. I am sorry! I guess I am a little strange.

Nah, lots of developers aren't into games.
Janeice DelVecchio
Saloon Keeper

I love Skylanders. I love the idea behind them, the little figures, the thrill of the search, the technology....

That said, I bought this super cool table top game, Fantastiqa. I had never played a game like it, and got me into the genre. I have road to Canterbury that's sitting upstairs waiting for a time to play.

The indie games in the Wii online store are sometimes fun, too -- most recently I played The Cave, and the one where you light stuff on fire to stay warm. The games weren't too long, but they were different and fun.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Robert D. Smith
Ranch Hand

Bear Bibeault wrote:I've only played Origins (multiple times with various character classes). Dragon Age 2 got so much bad press, I've avoided it thus far.
I liked 2. Bad press and all. I found it quite a bit less tedious than the first game. And the Templar story line was great. Lot more options in choosing skills, and outside of a little (game) money, painless to change from one path to another.

Outside of playing the Infected map, don't have much experience with the CoD franchise. The trailers and gameplay videos look pretty good.
Jelle Klap
Bartender

Bear Bibeault wrote:I'm wondering if the advanced weaponry aspect will add something fresh and new to the game series.

Just watched Conan play what seemed like a Frogger reboot , so "no" to something fresh

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Gaming experiences - good or bad