wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Android and the fly likes Free online course starting on Android Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Mobile » Android
Bookmark "Free online course starting on Android" Watch "Free online course starting on Android" New topic
Author

Free online course starting on Android

Fleurtje Eliza
Greenhorn

Somehow, I can't seem to get into the current course... as if they closed it after starting...

Trying trigonometry
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

Just finished all the evaluations. Very few differences in the code submitted, but the differences were interesting - one interesting error handling case for missing audio files that I hadn't thought of, several people used variable names such as "intent" rather than trying to come up with a good name. Oh - and nearly everybody differed in the white space - I tend to forget that I have AnyEdit installed, which gets rid of blanks on the end of lines, and changes tabs to spaces. Doh!

Now I just have to wait until Sunday night. But since I passed all the tests up to now, and my code was very similar to what I saw, I am confident that I have passed this course!

The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 5: paper version from Amazon, PDF from Apress, Online reference: Books 24x7 Personal blog
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Andrew Monkhouse wrote:Just finished all the evaluations. Very few differences in the code submitted

Yes, the code to supply was so short that there wasn't much room for variation. And only one person I saw wrote comments.

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Fleurtje Eliza
Greenhorn

Any other courses that are worth considering?

Thanks! Ciao, Fleur
Dave Trower
Ranch Hand

I got my certificate today.
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

So did I! Yay!
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

So proud. Um, wait. Yeah, I got it too. And I did manage to learn something in the class.

Part two starts soon.
ibrahim yener
Ranch Hand

to the guys who got certificate could you please explain me how it works.
Wonder why, i found course are very difficult to follow.

What is the purpose?
How it works?
what is Peer Assessments?
What is Assignments?
Is there any homework?
how to get certificate?
It cost money? (money is not big problem for me)

Long story short; so complicated.

I followed first lesson and closed my browser and never opened for it.

I think Udemy is a lot easier than coursera to follow

WinSystems my Google play account.
Ping Kong
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

ibrahim yener wrote:What is the purpose?

I don't really understand your question. I'll try to provide some answers, but they may not be getting to the heart of your question - if this is the case, I apologize.

All the Coursera courses are trying to teach a subject - the subject matter itself varies from class to class. Many different subjects are covered. This particular course was an introduction to Android programming. It can be taken on it's own, or as part of a 3-part course that starts with the basics and goes into more depth on Android and distributed programming.

ibrahim yener wrote:How it works?

You sign up, watch the lectures, and read any referenced materials. Do your homework on time, and get it graded.

ibrahim yener wrote:what is Peer Assessments?

This training is referred to as a MOOC (massive open online course) - a huge number of students can sign up from all over the world (for this course, 220,000 students signed up, of whom 8,000 are doing the 3-part course). With this many students, it would be impossible for any individual to grade all the assignments. Therefore they came up with an alternative way of doing it:

• Each student submits their assignment.
  • Each student then assesses the assignments submitted by three other (random, unidentified) students

• The inverse of this means that each student's submission should have been reviewed by three random strangers. The combined assessment is used to grade the assignment.

ibrahim yener wrote:What is Assignments?

Some homework that the student has to do and submit for grading.

Some grading can be done automatically (some assignments required the candidate to provide logfiles, which were programmatically verified for correct log messages), and some needed to be assessed by other students (peers).

ibrahim yener wrote:Is there any homework?

About two hours per week.

ibrahim yener wrote:how to get certificate?

Do all the homework, submit the answers on time, get good grades, and join the signature track (see next answer).

ibrahim yener wrote:It cost money? (money is not big problem for me)

The "signature track" costs a small amount of money - if you want to get a certificate at the end that states that you did the work (and that the University, through Coursera, validated that you did the work) then you have to pay a very small fee.

If you just want to follow along as the course is progressing, without getting the certificate, then it is free.
    Jeanne Boyarsky
    internet detective
    Marshal

Andrew Monkhouse wrote:The "signature track" costs a small amount of money - if you want to get a certificate at the end that states that you did the work (and that the University, through Coursera, validated that you did the work) then you have to pay a very small fee.

If you just want to follow along as the course is progressing, without getting the certificate, then it is free.

You get a certificate for free. What you don't get is a verified certificate.

I paid for the signature track for one course I took out of curiosity. I blogged about how it went. Overall, it was annoying and slowed down the course. And since I don't need a certificate, I chose not to do that again.

jQuery in Action, 2nd edition

subject: Free online course starting on Android