permaculture playing cards*
The moose likes Bunkhouse Porch and the fly likes You Choose the Head First Cover--essays Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Books » Bunkhouse Porch
Reply locked New topic
Author

You Choose the Head First Cover--essays

Gerome Kawa
Ranch Hand

I'll go for K:Snowboard girl !
The power and sleekness of J2EE design patterns are all under the cover and is not easily visible - and this smart snowboard girl wearing a 'sunglass' aptly represents this attitude !
Snowboarding represents cool, smoothness and artistry merged with toughness, skill and balance - but to the novice eye its all very sleek just as J2EE when implemented properly !
She gives a very casual and smart impression that she can curve out designs and patterns on the turbulent waves with elfin grace just as we expect properly designed J2EE applications do handle complicated business requirements !
Isn't these enough for her to be the cover girl !

Best wishes snowboard girl !

Kausik
Kishore Shewani
Greenhorn

Alright, a long list here.Did we ever experienced patterns reflect natural solution to a class of software problems. Well, the obvious choice then would be something the potrays exciting and relaxed look at the same time.
My votes for a combo of L and F.
L ; for she looks excited
F ; he seems to be too cool and relaxed.

egarly waiting for the book.

[ September 06, 2004: Message edited by: Kishore Shewani ]
[ September 06, 2004: Message edited by: Kishore Shewani ]

Toil and see your dreams coming true. <br />:-)
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

Originally posted by sampras:
Hi,

Actually this competetion compel me to Register Ranch.
This is really cool forum I never saw competetion on any forum.

Welcome to the ranch and to the contest, sampras. That's pretty cool that the contest got you to register.

Only problem is, your display name should have 2 names, like the JavaRanch naming policy asks you. Please change your display name in your profile right here.

Thanks, and hope you'll be visiting often, even after the contest!
Good luck,
Pauline
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

Originally posted by michelle W:
I choose D!! because she looks like a Asian girl!

Hello Michelle W, welcome to Javaranch and to the Cover Person contest.

Please take a minute to change your display name to have 2 names, as we kindly ask all ranchers in the Javaranch Naming Policy, famous around the world.

Have fun and good luck,
Pauline
Ben Wood
Ranch Hand

I say put none of them on there. If you're a miserable cynic like me they all look really annoying. If I win one of the copies I will be forced to scribble comedy moustaches and silly make-up on them whilst laughing maniacally

SCJP 1.4, www.gsi3d.org.uk
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

Originally posted by Madison Moose:
Dear Ranchers,

I would like to vote for the �Supersize Me� (M) girl.

[...essay was here...]

[Bugles][Flourish]
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you �Head First Design Patterns� � The best book to learn about design patterns.

Thanks,
Madison Moose

Wait! Stop the Bugles! Hold the Flourish!

Madison Moose, welcome to JavaRanch and to the first edition of the Head First Cover Person contest. If you really want your efforts to count, please take at least as much time to
change your display name to a name that fits the famous JavaRanch Naming Policy. In your case, your real name or one that sounds like a real name is what you need.

Thanks and good luck,
Pauline
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

Originally posted by Sunder VG:
L is my choice .

Welcome to Javaranch Sunder VG.

Your last name looks more like initials than a name, could you please change your display name to meet the Javaranch Naming Policy? Give us a whole name and we'll be happy happy happy. Thanks.

Good luck,
Pauline
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

Originally posted by Ram B:
My choice for the person on the cover is ...

Hey Ram B, welcome to Javaranch! You did well following the rules for the contest but you skipped a rule when you registered

Please take a minute to change your display name to have 2 names.

Thanks and good luck,
Pauline
[ September 06, 2004: Message edited by: Pauline McNamara ]
Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand

The Biker Couple also look like computer users who know a thing or two about Taming Tigers on all platforms.

Garage Band

The list is endless.

Le Cafe Mouse - Helen's musings on the web - Java Skills and Thrills
"God who creates and is nature is very difficult to understand, but he is not arbitrary or malicious." OR "God does not play dice." - Einstein
S Subramonyan
Ranch Hand

I think I would go with the F: "Plaid Guy".

Beacuse, he looks more professional and mature than any other person on the list. Doesn't he? Not to mention the patters on this shirt!
Allan Moster
Ranch Hand

P: Biker Couple

The big guy seemed really experienced. He looks like he's gone through a lot of problems and came out still smiling. We as developers can take advantage of his wealth of experience. He may have a better solution to an existing problems that we're facing since he already went through it. He can descibe the consequences if we choose a certain solution. With his experiences, we can identify the best possible solution which may not be apparent when we do it ourselves.

The girl looks so simple, small and lightweight. The kind of solution we all want to have on a project. A perfect complement to the more experienced looks of the big guy. Looking really smart, she can help the big guy describe his experiences in some special terminologies. Making the solution really understandable with the use of few words that people understand.

Lastly, patterns are really meant to work with other patterns. A single picture won't do justice in discussing design patterns. The biker couple represents how individually diffent persons can work together to come up with the best possible solutions.
Sal DiStefano
Ranch Hand

I would have to choose D:Brunette Black Shirt.

The Head First Java Book had a Male with Dark Hair and Glasses.

The Second Head First EJB Had a Male with dark hair and Glasses.

The Third Head First JSP had a Female with Dark Rimmed Glasses.

The forth has to be a female because we don't want to be sexist.

We should not use the same person twice (I think K:Snowboard Girl is same as HF JSP).

We should diversify ethnic backround as the community of developers is diverse.
Sal DiStefano
Ranch Hand

Since we can submit many entries I decided to choose another.

I like M:Supersize Me

I think reading Head First books is really different then books from other Authors and publishers. Head First books have a way of making difficult topics easier to understand. Heck even someone with a backround in FastFood could pick up one of the Head First Titles and be on their way to a career in programming/ software developemt.

Sal
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

Uh oh! Looks like some keen eyed ranchers have found a Servlets/JSP Cover Girl disguised as Snowboard Girl - and she's trying to sneak her way onto another cover!

Some people will stop at nothing to get famous, and that Servlets/JSP/Snowboard Girl obviously can't get enough. Fame, of course.
Pauline McNamara
Sheriff

E: Blonde with stripes.
[...] and she has this aggressive haircut, which tells she is not afraid to try something new.

aggressive? new? hmmm, I dunno...

[ September 06, 2004: Message edited by: Pauline McNamara ]
Sania Marsh
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Pauline McNamara:

aggressive? new? hmmm, I dunno...

Well, because if she wouldn't try new ways(styles), she would never get that haircut, which looks great on her, by the way. She would probably have some long hair style just to be on the safe side..
Shashank Agarwal
Ranch Hand

I'm gonna go with K: Snowboard Girl. Snow surfing is tricky yet so adventurous. It involves risk, but the adrenaline is worth the risk. Similarly, head first brings to mind the picture of great adventure and something totally diffrent.

P.S. She's also got a "big head" and so you actually see the "head first".
Masoud Kalali
Author
Ranch Hand

Hi friends.
I think M: Supersize Me is the best choice
because:
she weared in very good manner [like person who know how to put things together to make better things].

Masoud Kalali
Software Engineer - My Weblog - GlassFish Security
Warren Dew
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Pauline McNamara:
Uh oh! Looks like some keen eyed ranchers have found a Servlets/JSP Cover Girl disguised as Snowboard Girl - and she's trying to sneak her way onto another cover!

Some people will stop at nothing to get famous, and that Servlets/JSP/Snowboard Girl obviously can't get enough. Fame, of course.

Isn't the model in "Snowboard Girl" the same as in "Blonde with Stripes"? Same hair length and color, same eyebrow shape....

Then again, are we sure that cover continuity is a bad thing?
Lin Webster
Greenhorn

I'ld pick O. Blue Shirt Guy. Relaxed, confident, everyday kind of guy- just what you'ld be after you read the book
Hema Menon
Ranch Hand

My choice would be

E: Blonde with Stripes

Why?

- She looks smart
- She is confident
- She looks intelligent
- She looks pleasing
- She has a pattern on her shirt (Could you ever find a pattern more simper than parallel lines?)
- She looks professional
- She is just like any other Engineer/Programmer who is likely to take a look at the book
- She defies the notion of blonde not being brainy, for she looks brainy
- Patterns are for professionals, who already know the basics, she seems to be just the one
- She looks capable of taking up a challenge, without stress
- She is me (No, I am not blonde, but she looks like what I am, what I want to be, confident, pleasing, professional, waiting to be challenged)

- Head First Design Patterns should have her, E. Blonde with Stripes
[ September 06, 2004: Message edited by: Hema Menon ]

~hm
Mishra Anshu
Ranch Hand

M: Super size me.
Adding another point in my earlier essay:--
The three things in the plate , which the lady holds , are for the 3 tiers
(Web,AppLogic,DB).
for which the patterns are to be applied.
So, she is offering you with these set of patterns , which you will use in one of the 3 tiers of your project.

"Ignorance is bliss"
Eric Freeman
author
Ranch Hand

Posting this for my friend Jim Dustin...

--------

I like the E-Blonde with stripes.

My justification
~
Hello World:// Our cover girl is 24 year old Kimberly Simms (E). She took a lot of jibes in the early nineties about her last name sounding synonymous with RAM chips. She was 11 when she first started coding, writing Basic and DOS with her older brother Jim (yeah, he had name challenges too). She was also good with Hypercard for the Mac and swears she had an early prototype of HTML two years before Berners-Lee unveiled it at CERN. Her coding jones kept going through standard Bourne Shell, C languages, Perl, Visual Basic (eek) and finally Java.

It wasn�t pretty, but a lot of fun. She was able to tear into 16-bit Sega code and recompile the cartridges when she was 12, using her own reverse engineering schema. She was learning about Linda, the trestle-based language for massively parallel computing, when an article appeared about Sun computer�s new Java language. Hmm, a non-agnostic approach sounded good.

But she wasn�t pretty either. By the time she was 23, her friends at the various computer stores she frequented felt bad for her. She had all the stuff and fit in with every geek imaginable in the sense that on the Internet, nobody knows you�re a dog, but just the same �she was as plain looking as the original 386.

That all changed when those same friends turned Kim over to the reality TV show, �The Swan.� She qualified easily to their standard fixable criteria: pudgy, early adult acne, bad hair, bad teeth, well- bad everything. She was very reluctant, until someone described it as being recompiled�same Kernel, better interface. Cool.

What transpired was nothing less than the equivalent of a new OS, all in the same person. Kim was a babe! Oh, maybe not in the sense of a bona fide Hollywood screen star, but the boys down at CompUSA were burning some new circuits and Kim was feeling pretty perky.

She ran into Bill Joy in Aspen while on a celebrity tour and he introduced her to Jack Nicholson and Ken Arnold. Jack took a powder, but Ken had all this cool stuff to talk about like Jini, distributed data structures and Patterns! Why it was like reuniting with her original ideas about nanocellia (nanotech meets CGI) and organic synapse-based quantum computing � if only on a rudimentary level�

Well, the rest is history.

Best,

Jimbo

Co-Author of Head First Design Patterns
somkiat puisungnoen
Ranch Hand

I choose :: M - Supersize Me -->

She is not beautiful but she is pretty girl...

She is look like "Bartendy" which have responsibilities to serve somthing to another person (Foods, Juice, Hamberger .. etc ..) as same as send all knowledge about DEsign Pattern (GOF) to another person.

If compare her with GOF pattern, She look like Facade pattern (Provide a unified interface to a set of interfaces in a subsystem) that make it easy to use ...

SCJA,SCJP,SCWCD,SCBCD,SCEA I
Java Developer, Thailand
Satya Praz
Greenhorn

Hello people, I would like to choose H: Blue Shirt Arms Crossed.

He looks confident, and determined and trustable. And seems to say, 'Come on in brother, I'll teach you a Design Pattern or two'.
Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand

I like F, as he wore *pattern* clothes, and the book is about the patterns.

Nick

SCJP 1.2, OCP 9i DBA, SCWCD 1.3, SCJP 1.4 (SAI), SCJD 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 (Beta), ICED (IBM 287, IBM 484, IBM 486), SCMAD 1.0 (Beta), SCBCD 1.3, ICSD (IBM 288), ICDBA (IBM 700, IBM 701), SCDJWS, ICSD (IBM 348), OCP 10g DBA (Beta), SCJP 5.0 (Beta), SCJA 1.0 (Beta), MCP(70-270), SCBCD 5.0 (Beta), SCJP 6.0, SCEA for JEE5 (in progress)
Reghu Ram Thanumalayan
Ranch Hand

The SnowBoard girl.. wow.. Her looks are killing.. so will be the book... She doesnt have the techinical geek look, so the cover will be very nice with her. She is sporty holding her snowboard tightly aroung her hands.. So will be the book in the hands of people waiting to get their hands on another Head First Book - that too on a topic like Design Patterns.
The GOF Book may be the bible for Patterns but for people like me stung by the Head First Approach, this is like manna from heaven.. Am waiting to lay my hands on the book very soon.

Cheers,<br />Reghu Ram T<br /> <br />SCJP 1.4 - 98 %, SCBCD 1.3 - 94 %, SCMAD 1.0 - 92 %
Shruti Kale
Ranch Hand

I will choose "K" - Snowboard Girl . She is smart...got a trendy "Design pattern" on her board..And she looks confident and smart! A woman of substance

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4
Reghu Ram Thanumalayan
Ranch Hand

This time i go for the Plaid Guy - The plaid guy with his "i know about these patterns.. Do you wanna know them " .. look in the best suited for a Head First book on Design Patterns.. We will be like him after reading through the book , challenging others ' Can u find another book like this on Design Patterns ? '
Avi Abrami
Ranch Hand

People,
I'm sorry to put an end to your fantasizing, but I feel I have to bring you all back to reality (I'm sure your bosses will thank me), but, as Michael Jackson said to Paul McCartney in the song, "the Girl is Mine", A:Flower Girl said that, "after loving me, she could never love another".

In other words, forget it people, she is just not available (and won't be for a very long time to come).

C'est la vie,
Avi.
Eric Lemaitre
Ranch Hand

Hi all !

I would say F, for his plaid suggest pattern design, and he really looks like a techie, looking smart but totally careless about clothes so unattractive but not bothering at all.
I used to look this way some long time ago, when I was young and still had some hair ...

Best regards.

Eric LEMAITRE
CNAM IT Engineer, MS/CS (RHCE, RHCX, SCJA, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, Net+)
Free Online Tutorials: http://www.free-tutorials-online.net/
Kim Lilienfeld
Greenhorn

Hi

My inital response to this competition would have been a definate N. She reminds me of Britney Spears from that music video where she dressed up as a school girl, thankfully I can't remember its name. That girl oozes sex appeal and, as the marketing adage goes, "Sex Sells"!

However, I have to be honest with myself and go with P - the biker couple. The reason: plain and simple, no hidden symbolism - they made me giggle! Yes, at work and out loud - giggle!

So lets give the poor guys a break from their overactive hormones and go for P!

Kim
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

I vote for M. She could represent a factory pattern, because she is returning "one of several possible subclasses (Value meal #6) of an abstract base class (itemsOnTheMenu) depending on data it is provided (customer's order)." and the Value Meal #6 is a Composite pattern...

She could also represent the Mediator pattern - the "chef" class doesn't have to know anything about the "customer" class...

Chain of responsibility - she can pass customer orders between the "hamburgerCook" class, the "frenchFryMaker" class and the "beverageServer" class until the right one gets the right message

ok, so i'm sort of stretching things...well... a LOT, but still, it was fun to write.

:-)

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Jeremy Brandon
Greenhorn

CHOICE: I

Reasoning: I have to admit I had a tough time choosing as well. All of these pictures were very good and I made my decision based on the fact that I prefer to buy a book that reflects the type of person that I am.

Why I did not like the other picks, feel free to disagree:

A. I did not like A. because she seemed a little "too" happy and carefree to be on the cover of this book. While there is no doubt that Head First books are fun and interesting, the material covered still requires a certain mentality for reading it.

B. I did not choose B because he is still in college more than likely, and "most" college guys are very busy doing anything BUT studying when they have too.....

C. I did not choose C because he looks a little lost....this is something that you definity do not want to portray about this book.

D. I did not choose her because she looks like she is above reading this book, like she is better than the material.

E. She was yet another one of the many good picks I had a hard time choosing from.

F. I did not choose f for the same reasing as B.

G. She is fun and interesting which makes her a good pick, yet i ruled her out because she does not fit the profile of a normal person who would be reading this book.(At least to me she does not)

H. This guy looks like he is going to kick me arse if I do not read this book. While I have to admit this approach was great for my parents when I was young and did not clean my room.....

I. This is my favorite pic because she has a casual, yet professional look and she is enjoying herself which to means to me that she takes her job seriously but also has a fun side.

J. This is my second favorite picture. He has a serious/professional look to him but he also enjoys what he does.

K. I did not pick her because reading these books are not something I would like to be doing while I was snowboarding.

L. This a good pic as well....only ruled her out because I like "I" better.

M. This one is the easiest for me to rule out. To me...this picture says that one you read this book you will be able to get a job in a fast-food joint. Would you like some fries with your Java?

N. Not a bad pic, but as you have already noticed, I prefer a slightly more professional look.

O. This is another good picture as well....I just liked the other ones better.

P. Scary......

Well, that sums up my crazy opionins.....

Jeremy

SCJP 1.4<br />CCNA
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Nicholas Cheung:
I like F, as he wore *pattern* clothes, and the book is about the patterns.

Nick

Nick, we are choosing the same pic... And I feel that most of the ranchers here do so too...

Let's see which one will be chosen in a few days..
[ September 07, 2004: Message edited by: Ko Ko Naing ]

Co-author of SCMAD Exam Guide, Author of JMADPlus
SCJP1.2, CCNA, SCWCD1.4, SCBCD1.3, SCMAD1.0, SCJA1.0, SCJP6.0
Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Allan Moster:
P: Biker Couple

The big guy seemed really experienced. He looks like he's gone through a lot of problems and came out still smiling. We as developers can take advantage of his wealth of experience. He may have a better solution to an existing problems that we're facing since he already went through it. He can descibe the consequences if we choose a certain solution. With his experiences, we can identify the best possible solution which may not be apparent when we do it ourselves.

The girl looks so simple, small and lightweight. The kind of solution we all want to have on a project. A perfect complement to the more experienced looks of the big guy. Looking really smart, she can help the big guy describe his experiences in some special terminologies. Making the solution really understandable with the use of few words that people understand.

Lastly, patterns are really meant to work with other patterns. A single picture won't do justice in discussing design patterns. The biker couple represents how individually diffent persons can work together to come up with the best possible solutions.

Read this again and again all day!
Here, aptly described, are many reasons why the Design Patterns book could become a classic and the Biker Couple says it all!
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

I also like H. He is dressed the most like all the developers i work with... Jeans and a T-Shirt. Casual, but not scruffy.
Anthony Watson
Ranch Hand

My final choice is C. Here's what I think about each individual picture:

A) Definitely not! This girl does not look like she would be into computers, especially not at the level of being interested in design patterns. Her picture looks like she's a model/actress and not a programmer. She's not even the slightest bit geeky. In fact, she's more like the kind of girl that geeks have no shot with.

B) This guy looks like he'd appeal to a college crowd, but not a professional developer crowd.

C) This guy's expression is really interesting. It's like he's saying "I'm excited about Java and I'm not shying away from any subject, no matter how difficult. Bring it on!" I think that is the perfect message to send to the book's target audience. When I look at his expression, I wonder what could possibly be contained in the book that would cause him to make that face.

D) She's cute, but not bold looking. I think you need more of a "charge ahead" looking person on the cover.

E) Just don't like that haircut

F) This guy is too cocky. I think he will put people off, especially if they think he is the author. Most people that I've showed my Head First EJB book to assume that the person on the cover is the author. This guy looks more likely to talk down to you than to be your friendly guide through the treacherous territory of design patterns.

G) This girl looks like she's trying out for a part in Lolita. She does not appear to be a confident leader or even a confident learner.

H) This guy is okay. The camera didn't make his head as big in proportion as the other pictures, so I think it will lose the effect of the title, "Head First."

I) I don't think a soccer mom will help sell a programming book.

J) Looks more like a Billy Blanks, Tae Bo book than a Java book.

K) Okay, so snowboarding is cool. What does it have to do with programming?

L) Looks like she's dancing. I don't think that will help sell books.

M) I don't know what the food has to do with anything. I think it's distracting.

N) Too sexy for Java

0) This guy isn't bad, but he's not nearly as interesting to look at as guy C

P) I just don't think people will understand the biker couple. It really doesn't belong on the cover of a Java book. It doesn't inspire confidence that the book will really teach you advanced concepts.
David Hibbs
Ranch Hand

My preference for which cover photo should be selected is (P), Biker Couple. I have several reasons for this selection.

First off, when you see a biker couple you immediately have a number of stereotypes come to mind. Voila, you've just implemented a pattern in your own mind. You have your own ideas and conceptions of what to expect from a biker couple as a pattern of behavior.

Accordingly, many people view bikers as rugged, tough, no-nonsesne types.
Similarly, patterns are often intended as rough, rugged, go-anywhere problem-solvers. While discussion of whether this perception of bikers is accurate may be a discussion for another day, it is no doubt that such discussion on patterns is seen day after day in message boards such as the JavaRanch!

Additionally, any implementation of a pattern typically needs polish. It needs tweaking for your own particular project or style. Clean up a biker couple and they can fit into even the most exclusive of clubs. Many biker clubs tout that they have CEOs and CFOs in their group. You may be surprised to hear it, but you can truly find bikers anywhere--just like design patterns!

Finally, there has been some discussion on dating here at the JavaRanch... Dating Patterns to be exact! Check out the coffee house and see--the original reference is in the June 2003 newsletter athttp://www.javaranch.com/newsletter/June2003/newsletterjune2003.jsp#a4, but there is another long discussion in the October 2003 (http://www.javaranch.com/newsletter/200310/NewsletterOctober2003.jsp#a3) issue as well -- and there are frequent references to it in later articles! If dating and patterns are a frequent pairing on the 'Ranch, shouldn't there be a couple on the cover of a book on design patterns?!?

[ September 07, 2004: Message edited by: David Hibbs ]

"Write beautiful code; then profile that beautiful code and make little bits of it uglier but faster." --The JavaPerformanceTuning.com team, Newsletter 039.
sunitha reghu
Ranch Hand

I will choose ***FLOWER GIRL ****.

Why? she is attractive , matured and represents girlhood dreams. She is saying to the readers " HEY geeks want to learn patterns huh? then explore me ". She is wearing a pink top with flowers on it, basically representing patterns.
Pink and flowers reprents true love, freindship and faithfullness. So it will tell the readers that the authors did a faithful job.

It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.

subject: You Choose the Head First Cover--essays