• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

StringTokenizer question

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A very silly question: Can StringTokenizer be used to parse non-numeric strings? I ask because in my Intro to Java text it seems to be used only in examples where the user enters multiple numbers in an input dialog box.

I am working on an exercise in which String input is to be manipulated and had been thinking of utilizing StringTokenizer, but wasn't sure if it would work.

Thanks,

Brandt

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Absolutely, any string is possible. Strange, most of the examples I've ever seen used word lists and sentences, not numbers ... must be a new generation of introductory material out there

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
StringTokenizer is deprecated and should not be used anymore. Use String.split() or regex package instead.

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Deprecated" has a specific meaning which does not apply here. StringTokenizer has not been deprecated. Though I would agree that String.split() is better, more flexible. Unfortunately it does have some other complications if the user has not learned about regular expressions yet...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why do you think this class is deprecated?
It doesn't say so here StringTokenizer (JavaDoc)
, nor here
Deprecated List (JavaDoc)
[ April 22, 2006: Message edited by: Jar Jaquiso ]

Rusty Shackleford
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, you are right. Still it is discouraged from use. split is far cleaner. There is no reason to use it anyway.

"StringTokenizer is a legacy class that is retained for compatibility reasons although its use is discouraged in new code. It is recommended that anyone seeking this functionality use the split method of String or the java.util.regex package instead."

Brandt Charles
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the input so far. I followed the link to split() in the Java Documentation, and it appears to break up a string and returns an array.

These questions are revolving around an assignment in class dealing with String manipulation. I am NOT asking for someone to tell me how to do this, but the general questions I have will help me rule out how I want to complete it.

If I use split(), in order to change the specific elements of the array, wouldn't I have to convert the String data to something that can be changed since Strings are immutable? Basically I have to move the first letter of a word to the end of that word. I was thinking of using StringBuffer after forming the array. Am I correct in my assumption that items of the String class cannot be changed, but StringBuffer can?

Again, gentle hints are appreciated, I am not fishing for actual code. The split() method was not even mentioned in our introductory text, so I am trying to discern its use without reader friendly explanation, which I expect happens in the field quite frequently.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, you are right that the contents of a String can't be changed. However, you can move a reference from a String to another String.

So you could manipulate the contents of your String, and then reassign the String reference to point to the output.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What type of manipulation do you need to do?

Brandt Charles
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Garrett Rowe:
What type of manipulation do you need to do?

We're taking a string of input and converting it to Pig Latin. For anyone not familiar with this, in a nutshell you take the first letter of a word, move it to the end, then add an "ay" to it. So, the word "bike" would turn into "ikebay", for example.

I've been scouring the Java docs about String and StringBuffer, I'm assuming I cannot use split() with StringBuffer since it's not the same class. That would make things much easier if I could. However, I'm getting the feeling the solution isn't as difficult as I think.

And thanks for the suggestion, Keith.
[ April 24, 2006: Message edited by: Brandt Charles ]

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
While you can't change String you can make a new one. Maybe the calling method says:

And your translator method could say:

StringBuffer is more efficient than appending strings if you're doing War and Peace or some millions of words. For grins you could make the output variable a StringBuffer and read up on append().

Does that answer the right question?
[ April 24, 2006: Message edited by: Stan James ]

Garrett Rowe
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm assuming I cannot use split() with StringBuffer since it's not the same class. That would make things much easier if I could...

Thats true, but you can use a String as the argument in the construction of a String buffer:

Brandt Charles
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Garrett and Stan, thank you for your input. Garrett, your suggestion is what I had been trying to put together coherently. Please tell me that as I learn programming that it gets easier to translate ideas into code. I appreciate the gentle hints instead of the answer itself. I haven't been in a classroom in 10 years and I think expectations of myself are set too high such that I get very frustrated at the least bit of adversity. The frustration tends to cloud my thinking.
[ April 24, 2006: Message edited by: Brandt Charles ]

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I thought StringTokenizer was deprecated; it was last time i tried, so I usually use String.split().
But I looked a minute ago, and it isn't deprecated; they must have taken the deprecation off and now describe StringTokenizer as a legacy class, not recommended for new code.

CR

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Campbell Ritchie:
I thought StringTokenizer was deprecated; it was last time i tried, so I usually use String.split().
But I looked a minute ago, and it isn't deprecated; they must have taken the deprecation off and now describe StringTokenizer as a legacy class, not recommended for new code.

CR

StringTokenizer has been obsoleted, not deprecated.
The same can be said for java.util.Vector, java.util.Hashtable, java.lang.StringBuffer and a few others.

Obsoleting a type permits the existing codebase of the API spec. implementation to compile without deprecation warnings (though it will not compile without unchecked cast warnings since generics contain some inherent flaws that are unavoidable).

If you send is by car it's a shipment, but if by ship it's cargo. This tiny ad told me:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic