• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Cult series

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The Prisoner currently enjoying a revival and proving to be a hit.

Worth watching.

American born actor Patrick McGoohan was offered the role of 007 James Bond but turned it down.

Beats watching crap like Big Brother any day. I believe there's a new reality show featuring the Amish coming to NYC. For my sins, I think I'd watch that series.
[ August 04, 2004: Message edited by: Helen Thomas ]

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"I am not a number, I'm a free man!"

Cool show.

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jason : "I am not a number, I'm a free man!"

Number 6 was really 007 only wih a higher IQ.

After a bit of a google :

The Real World, Amish in The City

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just watched the Simpsons version for the first time the other day. Very funny.

On Homer escaping a white sphere by bursting it with a fork -
Number 2 : "Why did you think a balloon would stop him?"
Posh English lady scientist : "Shut-up, that's why!"

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I didn't realise there was a Simpson's spin-off of The Prisoner.

"After realizing that he's missing the cyberspace boat, Homer plugs into the internet and builds a web site. But when low traffic hits him where it hurts, he resorts to spicing up his cyberslab with damaging gossip concerning fellow townsfolk. Guest starring Patrick McGoohan as Prisoner #6."

The Simpsons - The Computer Wore Menace Shoes
[ August 05, 2004: Message edited by: Helen Thomas ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Helen Thomas:

Beats watching crap like Big Brother any day. I believe there's a new reality show featuring the Amish coming to NYC. For my sins, I think I'd watch that series.

noone's sins can be that bad

I'm more partial to M.A.S.H. and BattleStar Galactica (not to mention being a bit of a Trekkie).

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I like Sherlockian and Agatha Christie themes best.
Hitchcock in Space would be cool. I don'tthink anyone's tried that unless Stanley Kubrik with his A Space Odyssey is considered.
I've heard Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose borrows heavily from Sherlock Holmes.
[ August 05, 2004: Message edited by: Helen Thomas ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeroen Wenting:

I'm more partial to M.A.S.H. and BattleStar Galactica (not to mention being a bit of a Trekkie).

Ah! BattleStar Galactica! The sci-fi show with the 2nd worst sets ever. The worst sets/special effects I have ever seen were on the brilliant Blake's Seven, the tackiest, but most entertaining sci-fi series ever made. Whenever the spaceship (made on Blue Peter out of toilet rolls by the look of it) moved accross the screen, there'd be no stars behind it because they'd be blocked out by the hand in the black glove holding the model......

Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Galactica made a quite decent production given their extremely limited budget and time.
I have the entire series on DVD, plus a disc with interviews with surviving actors and other staff.

They originally planned a short series which was expanded to 24 episodes which had to be created in almost the same time and budget...

Remember they had very limited computer graphics available (mainframe time was too expensive) so everything you see except the laser bolts are models filmed on a blue screen with the backdrop projected in afterwards.

Joe King
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The great thing about some of the early series was that because the special effects were so rubbish they had to rely on a good story line. Quite often modern sci-fi programmes have very poor story lines and rely on the special effects to draw interest - ST: DS9 was guilty of this a bit too often IMHO. I still haven't seen any sci-fi character quite as entertaining as Blake Seven's Orac.
[ August 06, 2004: Message edited by: Joe King ]

Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
all too true.
Just compare the original Starwars movies to the new ones.
Same writer and director, but 20 years newer CGI to work with.
Storyline and dialog go out the door to make room for ever more special effects.

Joe King
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I wonder if this is an effect that will fade away. People who go to the cinema now have seen special effects come from the extremely dodgy (Flash Gordon) to the very sophisticated (LOTR). For most of these, part of the attraction of many of modern films is the novelty factor associated with the special effects, and the spectacle of it. Each year the effects get better, and we go to see what new tricks the film makers have come up with. There's probably not much further they can go though before the special effects stop becoming as impressive. A whole new generation is growing up who have never seen really bad special effects in a (major Hollywood) film, so the spectacle is probably less spectacular for them. Hopefully this will mean that the film producers will have to start concentrating on the story line again to bring in the crowds.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sledge Hammer. Greatest TV show of all time.

Jason Menard
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Firefly was an outstanding show that unfortunately didn't even make a full season. It was plagued by network blunders, such as airing the episodes out of order, as well as the kiss of death Fox friday night spot. It even had pretty good ratings despite all that, but the network ended up canning it because they felt it was too expensive per episode. At least it's available on DVD (along with three unaired episodes), and there's a movie based on it in the works.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic