• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Getting Certified

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have the sierra book, its over facing and although good - reading from cover to cover for certification and learning the language all at once - how likely???!!!
Considering TigerTamer - what do you think and wnat advice can you offer me please/
Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Their book is good, and I strongly suggest that you read it (from cover to cover) if your planing on taking the SCJP exam. Write lots of code while you are reading it - it's through the process of preparing to the exam that you gain most. The paper in it self is (in my opinion) not that important.

I dont know anything about taming tigers - so I cant help you there

/Svend

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by rachael carr:
I have the sierra book, its over facing and although good - reading from cover to cover for certification and learning the language all at once - how likely???!!!

Why not? It's a very good book, that will help you not just to get certified, but also to effectively learn and understand many (somewhat obscure) aspects of the Java language, in a very easy-to-read and pleasant way.

The only book that I had (partially) read before buying Sierra/Bates SCJP book was Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java". Years later, these two books are still the only J2SE programming books I've ever read. And Sierra/Bates is the only J2SE programming book that I read "from cover to cover", and I did it twice.

Fortunately (or not ), I can learn a lot only from reading, I don't really need very much hands-on experimentation.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The books mentioned above are top notch.

I would also mention Head First Java as an excellent intro book. I wish it had been available when I started Java! Also, the online Java Tutorials can be quite helpful.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic