• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Error handling problem

Ranch Hand
Mac Chrome Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Note: I'm making a method that will delete something. It not done yet. And can post the whole code if you wish but it like 750 lines or something and requires some external files to work.

With this code, it gets a null value for string "aName" if "id" exceeds the number of lines in the file.

But if want avoid the program from getting this null it jumps to the FileNotFoundException catch

Anyone got an idea as to why that happens?

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[B][Olivier]: But if want avoid the program from getting this null it jumps to the FileNotFoundException catch

[/B]
No, you're calling the exception a FileNotFoundException, but in reality its type can be any Exception. Try this:

This will tell you what kind of error you really have here, and what line it's coming from.

Olivier Legat
Ranch Hand
Mac Chrome Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hmm... Well I found an alternative way to solve my problem but thanks for that advice Mr.Yingst, could come in handy some time.

Does any one know a way to check and see if a string is empty? That's what I was trying to do but it seemed to bother the compiler so I took an alternative root.

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The stack trace would have shown you had a NullPointerException coming from this line:

That's because if aName is null, then .equals() will throw an NPE, no matter what comes after it in parentheses. A better way to check this would be

You shouldn't use == or != to compare strings, except when you're comparing them with null.

To check if the name is blank, I would first check if it's null, then check if its length is 0:

(or perhaps you want to check if it's not blank, in which case you replace the final == with != instead.)
[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Jim Yingst ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic