• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

New strategy for avoiding OutOfMemoryException ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've got a program that reads in 400k database rows, and by the end of it, there are 400k new rows in a second table. So it reads a row, does all sorts of lookups/calculations, and inserts one row in a second table.

There was no previous logging code in the method, other than "method begins" and "method ends". Somewhere between those two, I was getting "OutOfMemoryException" (OOME).

After adding a method variable named 'records', within the "while (rs.next())" processing loop, I added this code:

After about 2 minutes, somewhere between records 0 and 10,000 , I got the OutOfMemoryException (OOME). So then I thought to increase the granularity of the logging, and switched the mod to " % 1000". And waiting for about 4 minutes, and on to record 50,000.... no OOME's.

Perhaps I didn't wait long enough. Perhaps if I had waited even more time, the OOME that was *going* to happen, would have happened.

But nevertheless, in 3 trials, switching code back and forth between 1k and 10k, it *always* threw an OOME fairly quickly with 10k, and never threw an OOME at 1k (within the limits of my patience in the test).

So that's a bit strange, right?

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic