• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which PC you prefer ?

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ranchers.
I know, I know, it is a classic question.
what is your choice for a PC ?? HP, Dell, IBM, Sony ... ??
which one is better ?
thanks.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The best PC is the one you build yourself. PC Vendors like HP, Dell, etc all use OEM hardware. For example, say you buy a Dell with a Radeon ATI video card. Well, the card is not made by Radeon. It is a generic card with an ATI chipset. You just never know what hardware you are getting and you can bet that it is going to be low quality.

If those aren't issues then I like Dell alright. But really, they are all the same.
[ December 29, 2004: Message edited by: Gregg Bolinger ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dell are a good make, the only problem I ever had with them was that they used proprietary parts in a PC I bought (Dell Dimension XPSD233 - custom power connectors, possibly custom case as well), that limited my upgrade options. Im not sure if they still do that.

Building your own PC is your best option, providing you know how to assemble a PC from scratch (aint too difficult - its like Lego, but with transistors bolted on) and you know where to get quality components for the best price.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Personally I prefer to build my own. Although that may not always be the best solution for everybody. If your going with a prebuilt system I would probably go with HP or Dell (and I would lean toward HP) out of the main manufactures, but I would most recommend you look locally for a good 'white box' shop. Price isn't really an issue between prebuilt and self-built anymore (unless you already have all the software/OS or are going to run linux).

I would consider support:
self-built you have to troubleshoot yourself and deal with the individual parts manufacturers.
prebuilt you only have to deal with one place, who may do the diagnostics for you (depending on the place your dealing with this can be better or worse).

And how often you upgrade parts/ whole system.
upgrading prebuilts may sometimes void your warrenty.

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The more that Intel standardizes the motherboards and chipsets the less it matters who puts it together. I'm on my second Dell. Their service has always been good, very patient with dumb questions. My friends who build their own get a lot of education and satisfaction from the experience. With LOTS of research, you might also be able to do a better job of matching specialized bits for a screaming game machine.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic