• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

USC Trojans

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I apologize to anyone who doesn't care, or is an Oklahoma Sooner, Auburn Tiger, Utah, or Texas fan.

But, we are National Champs.

Mark
USC Alum 1989

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pete Carroll was not exactly one of the best head coaches in Patriots history (or Jets history for that matter). Good to see he's doing well in the college ranks.

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:

But, we are National Champs.

Why couldn't you open that case of whoop-ass on Texas in the Rose Bowl?

Damn near the only thing Southern California is good for, and you go waste it on the Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl...

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Michael Ernest:

in the Fiesta Bowl...

See, the Trojans are so good that they can even whoop someone from over 2500 miles away. But I do love what they did to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Mark

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Why couldn't you open that case of whoop-ass on Texas in the Rose Bowl?

Damn near the only thing Southern California is good for, and you go waste it on the Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl...

Because the Sooners snuffed out Texas. Also, the Rose Bowl is traditionally Pac10 vs Big10 champs and Texas only grabbed the slot because USC got shifted to Orange. Anyway, had Texas not been demolished by the Sooners they would have been ranked 1 or 2 for the season and in the title game.

Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Orange, Fiesta, Okra....like it matters.

The point is: Texans go home. Enough of your sort in our state already.

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
yeah.... but come on!!! Utah won the Fiesta Bowl! They had their first unbeaten season since the 1930's -- damn impressive I must say. Go Utes!

Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Marc Peabody:

Because the Sooners snuffed out Texas. Also, the Rose Bowl is traditionally Pac10 vs Big10 champs and Texas only grabbed the slot because USC got shifted to Orange. Anyway, had Texas not been demolished by the Sooners they would have been ranked 1 or 2 for the season and in the title game.

Point taken, but the BCS is subject to many of the vagaries of a democracy. It was political lobbying, not virtue, that got Texas the Rose Bowl. Cal was dropped for what, failing to come out guns a-blazin' in the first quarter of its last regular season game? Cal loses the Rose Bowl for failing to kick ass in a timely manner? Please!

The demonstration of opinion overruling apparent merit seems to me borne out by using the results of bowl games to justify the system. That is, Cal lost its bowl game, suggesting it didn't deserve the Rose Bowl, while Texas wins a buzzer-beater over a lower-ranked team, proving it had every right to be there. Um, what?

People will always peddle their coulda-woulda-shoulda pet team causes (I recently came across a site arguing just because the 49ers have 5 Super Bowl Championships is no reason to think they were really any good), but the final score is still the only thing that counts in the NFL.

Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Point taken, but the BCS is subject to many of the vagaries of a democracy. It was political lobbying, not virtue, that got Texas the Rose Bowl. Cal was dropped for what, failing to come out guns a-blazin' in the first quarter of its last regular season game? Cal loses the Rose Bowl for failing to kick ass in a timely manner? Please!

From bcsfootball.org:

Factors that are considered in making that determination include:
1.The same team hosting the same BCS Bowl for two straight years.
2.Two teams that played against one another in the most recently completed regular season.
3.The same two teams would play against each other in a bowl game for two consecutive years.
4.An alternative pairing would have greater appeal to college football fans.

I was talking with a coworker about this the other day. As a Big 10 fan, I have to admit that I would not have watched the Rose Bowl were it UofM vs Cal. I was excited to watch them play Texas because it's a bigger legacy I suppose. Like in basketball I'd be excited about a Big 10 game vs Kentucky or Duke (even on their worst years). I still can't picture USC as much of a powerhouse. They are like the Ashlee Simpson of NCAA football... or something.

The BCS just wants to make appealing games. After all, more appeal = more moolah.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Until they have real play-offs for college football, there will never be an undisputed national champion. There are so many teams and the formula for calculating strength of schedule is so complex, that many times an undefeated team doesn't even get to play in the championship game.

It is not perfect, but selecting 16 teams, or all the conference champions, instead of 2 for the national championship has a much better chance of finding the best team.

At the very least more people would accept the national championship as legit. (those whose teams were selected anyway)

All that said, the bowl games are still a lot of fun and a great tradition. I'm not suggesting they go away, just do something different. Besides more games = more TV revenue. What's not to like?

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I still can't picture USC as much of a powerhouse. They are like the Ashlee Simpson of NCAA football... or something.

?

Let's see they kicked Michigan's but two years ago for a National Championship, and handed Oklahoma a good ole fashion whopping this year for a National Championship. That sounds like a powerhouse to me.

Mark

Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, I can't see doubting USC's ability here. They didn't back into anything this year.

To touch on Ray's earlier comment, what do I care if bowl games with unusual matchups generate more revenue? I want to be entertained, in part by having a yearly thing I can count on as a tradition. The Rose Bowl, such as it is, does that for me, or did. Ok, so they can make more money slotting in an unusual team. What's that to me?

If you really want to make a ton of money on the Rose Bowl, just invite Wisconsin every year. Those boosters drop major bucks when they party.

Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:

?

Let's see they kicked Michigan's but two years ago for a National Championship, and handed Oklahoma a good ole fashion whopping this year for a National Championship. That sounds like a powerhouse to me.

Mark

Well, when you quote my one sentence out of context, I agree with you. I just don't see their current dominance as the start of a football legacy.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Well, when you quote my one sentence out of context, I agree with you. I just don't see their current dominance as the start of a football legacy.

The only thing we can say is, we'll see.

Mark

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is there any doubt that USC will be the favorite to repeat as national champion?

I'm with ME on the bowl games. I liked the college bowl tradition.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic