• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need to Start oracle services after long time

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Please let me know if this is the right thread to post this topic.

I have a complex application, wherein the user needs to login as per his assigned user id and password. If the screen is left untouched for some time (5 min) the session expires. If the screen is left unattended for about an 1 hr, and no other operation occurs with Oracle server, login does not occur even after entering the right data. The oracle services need to be restarted, and then the login process succeeds.

I would like to ask so as to why such a kind of situvation(need of restarting oracle) arrives and any solutions for the same.

Regards,
Amol

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I would like to ask so as to why such a kind of situvation(need of restarting oracle) arrives and any solutions for the same.

There is no need to restart Oracle. Can you explain more about what the problem is? What makes you think its the Oracle service that is the issue?

amol l a lekurwale
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, the problem is with my application. I can externally access oracle through command prompt. But if system is kept idle for about an hour, login fails. And then oracle needs to be restarted. As far as the application is concerned, I close the connection after a transaction.
What I need is which part in my application is responsible for such a kind of situvation. There are about 20 tables with no high complex relationships between themselves.

Paul Sturrock
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

But if system is kept idle for about an hour, login fails. And then oracle needs to be restarted

Why? This is not normal operation for Oracle. A failed login should not cause Oracle to fail.

amol l a lekurwale
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Paul,
Login fails means even if I enter the correct user id and password ( which would have otherwise caused login to succeed ), I am not able to login.
Is this a concern of any registry entries, or some cache mechanism?

Paul Sturrock
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Is this a concern of any registry entries, or some cache mechanism?

I've never heard of Oracle behaving this way. Connections may timeout - but Oracle doesn't need restarted when this happens.

When you try to login how do you do this and what is the text of the error message you get?
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic