• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

DTO Setter Best Practises

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all, in my current situation, I've DTO which there alot of attributes to be populated and the implementation should be reuseable by other class with the same DTO.

Any advice on what is the best practises approach for this. I can't consider object relational mapping as there is performance issue.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch.

I would say the best practice would be to use the standard Java Bean setter/getter naming convention. For each property, create a setter named 'setPropertyName with the property name capitalized. so a property of 'userName' would have a setter named 'setUserName'. For getters, name the getter 'getPropertyName for all non-boolean properties and 'isPropertyName for any boolean properties. For example for a property of 'userName' would have a getter of 'getUserName'. A boolean property of authorized would have the methods 'setAuthorized' and 'isAuthorized'.

This is the standard in Java and will be one most familiar to other developers. Plus, there are a lot of libraries out there that use reflection to allow for accessing properties that follow this naming convention.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaBean and http://www.unix.com.ua/orelly/java-ent/jnut/ch06_02.htm for some more info.

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by ABu NeNe:
Any advice on what is the best practises approach for this. I can't consider object relational mapping as there is performance issue.

Is that statement based on fact or assumption? Provided you use an ORM framework correctly - and avoid common pitfalls - you'll be hard-pressed to implement a custom data access layer that will significantly outperform any popular ORM framework for all but the simplest of domain models.

Abu Nene
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Let me further explain myself.

If I were to get a J2EE DAO design pattern to set the attribute of this MyDTO.

Are there any best practise on implementing the myDTO.setA, ...?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic