• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Creating a Website

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers
I have a project which reqires me to develop a website and host data for my client. I wish to do it using Java. I'm a novice to advanced topics such as EJB etc. Should I use Servlets & JSPs or is there any other option. Kindly suggest the best options...

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you don't know that you need EJB, you don't.

Servlets and JSP are a good choice if you need the power of dynamic resources.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
All depends on your requirements. In general EJBs are not required. If you
write your appplication with proper layers like business layer, DAO layer, service layer etc, if required in the future it can be easily refactored.

author
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We definitely need more info in order to help you, what size is the app, how many users etc, etc. Can you please TellTheDetails

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I have a project which reqires me to develop a website and host data for my client. I wish to do it using Java.

As I always say, choose the right tool for the job. So why Java? The Java Web tier is relatively difficult to create applications for: you need to code all the behaviour, re-compile for every change (except JSPs/tag files) and re-deploy to the Web server. In general, this isn't something anyone can just pick up and do. Setting up the development environment alone can take a couple of days if you're not experienced.

If you're only doing a simple site with low-moderate traffic requirements, you're going to make your life a lot more complicated by using Java. Why not stick to something interpreted like PHP and speed up the development cycle? Using PHP5 you can effectively utilise OO programming too.

Secondly, Java containers consume a lot of resources. As a typical example, a Tomcat instance allocates upwards of 256MB RAM before doing anything. Apache with PHP extensions is much smaller, in the order of 32MB RAM. You'll also have to find a host or administrator for Java apps, while there are plenty more Apache admins and hosts around.

On the flip side, if you need a high performance application or one backed by an extensive programming API, then Java is great. But expect to double your production time, much more if you're only just starting to learn it all.

Edit: You can use a Java Web framework to shave off the development time quite significantly. The tradeoff is that you have to learn that framework which itself can take days or weeks... so to start with it isn't all that fast.
[ November 04, 2008: Message edited by: Charles Lyons ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would say use a good Web framework(Like Spring MVC) so that you dont land into trouble when you want to extend. I have a bad experience using only Servlets and jsps.

Ranch Hand
jQuery Google App Engine Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am forced to say "thanks" to Charles and Rakesh. I learned important
things by this thread.

best regards,
omi

Swapna Gouri Kalanidhi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Ranchers
Thanks a ton for giving me a better outline of different technologies...
Here's what I exactly require:

I need to host some confidential information on a site where only the client can view and access it. He should be able to modify & retrieve data from the DB. Also, since he is not ready to publicise his site, he will not need to extend it further. At the max he might want to add/update few more customers and their details. So is using Servlets and JSP a better option??

@Charles and Rakesh
I know Servlets & JSPs to some extent whereas I dont even know the definitions of PHP and other frameworks.... Also I have just 4 weeks of time to get this done, so cannot afford to learn something new & apply. So what do you think is a better option for me?? Kindly suggest..!

Again, Thanks a bunch for getting back...!

rakesh sugirtharaj
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Swapna,

Considering the time constraint and your area of expertise, you can go for Struts or Spring MVC. Look for a couple of samples on the net and i think you will be good to go. You can do the app but i cannot guarantee that you will understand thoroughly how it will work.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic