• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

ADVICE needed on SCJP 6 preperation approach

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all..
I am a final year engineering student.. I want to give SCJP 6 exam before the end of jan 2009.

I know little about java.. but it seems like I've forgotten everything as it was 2 years back I studied java as my subject in college, did very little coding then..

please suggest me on how to prepare for the exam..

my approach for preparation is

finish
1) BIG JAVA 3rd ed. by Cay Hortstman
and then
2)SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 5 (K & B)

I have the above two books..

I have e-books of
Head First Java 2nd edition (K & B)
SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6-0071591060
Sam's teach yourself java 6 in 21 days

can you suggest me which is better to start off ?? i.e.

BIG JAVA Vs Head First Java Vs Sam's teach yourself java 6

and then is it enough to study SCJP 5 and then have a look at SCJP 6 ?? I didn't find many changes.

Awaiting reply..
thanks..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, M Murali. Welcome to Javaranch. Please make your name complying with the Javaranch naming policy.

You should start with Head First Java, followed by SCJP 6 K&B study guide and then solving mock tests.
[ December 09, 2008: Message edited by: Rajshekhar Paul ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Start your preparation from SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java and if any doubts come take reference Head First Java 2nd edition (K & B) and if did not found in head first than find in other books.

The basic for scjp is lots of programming and practice.
Jan is very near, i will suggest to take min 3 months as you have forgotten many things. First of all finish sun certified book then jump for moke exams and practice.

What you will get in mocks, you will not get in any books.

So mocks is must.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well if you want to go for the exam by the end of january I suggest you start with SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 and do plenty of mocks.

Good luck

Murali Manchala
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Punit Singh:
Start your preparation from SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java and if any doubts come take reference Head First Java 2nd edition (K & B) and if did not found in head first than find in other books.

The basic for scjp is lots of programming and practice.
Jan is very near, i will suggest to take min 3 months as you have forgotten many things. First of all finish sun certified book then jump for moke exams and practice.

What you will get in mocks, you will not get in any books.

So mocks is must.

Yes I would have loved to have 3 months on my hand.. but the thing is my dad took a sun voucher long back which expires on jan 31 2009.
and I finished my semester exams a week back and now into another semester..

else should I go for SCJP 5 ??
few were suggesting that it would be easier as it has got lots of [ illegal material ]..

I don't want to pass an exam like that.. but is a possible 45 days enough for SJCP 6 ?? I can spend 1-2 hours weekdays and 4-6 hours weekends..as I am constrained by academic project, gre, toeffl exams as well..
[ December 09, 2008: Message edited by: Murali Manchala ]

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE jQuery Eclipse IDE Postgres Database Tomcat Server Chrome Google App Engine
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Murali Manchala:

but is a possible 45 days enough for SJCP 6 ?? I can spend 1-2 hours weekdays and 4-6 hours weekends.

According to this, you have only 110 hours approximately for the preparation. probably, this period may be enough for the preparation, even though I NEVER heard about someone who successfully prepared like that. While there are not a big different between SCJP 5.0 and SCJP 6.0 version, going to SCJP 5.0 is not a solution.

According to my experiences, it's better if you can daily spend at least 7 hours for the preparation. You have to complete read and UNDERSTAND the study guide book during this period. Not only, you have to practice by writing Java codes yourself. And then, you can go for legal mock exams for understand the current level of your preparedness. If you feel you are ready, then go for the exam.

Cheers.

Punit Singh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you will pass the exam easily.
But many concepts will not become clear to you, if you cannot do lots of mocks.

Generally I have heard actual exam is easier than simulators exams.
If you can do regular works you can still get 80+ percentage in both scjp 6 and scjp 5 but if you want 90-95+ percentage than you have to really work hard.

Murali Manchala
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions..
I will prepare my level best and give the exam..
I will do masters after my grad, so if needed I will give SCJP 7 then
giving the exam before the expiry date of the voucher my dad took is the main criteria now..

Murali Manchala
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
is it very important to get a good percentage in SCJP ??
I mean would 70% be not enough ?? I mean a certificate is a certificate after all.. which from sun..
should it be 85 % or above only then it is of some value??

Devaka Cooray
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE jQuery Eclipse IDE Postgres Database Tomcat Server Chrome Google App Engine
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Murali Manchala:
is it very important to get a good percentage in SCJP ??
I mean would 70% be not enough ?? I mean a certificate is a certificate after all.. which from sun..
should it be 85 % or above only then it is of some value??

Your score will not be included in the certificate. You do not need to worry about the score in any hand.

Cheers.

Rajshekhar Paul
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The thing is that a better percentage will boost your morale that you have learnt a hell lot of foundation level Java. If you want to use this certificate to impress the interviewer, then he/she will anyway get the idea of your Java knowledge no matter how much percentage you have scored.

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Murali I think you must NOT hurry yourself just because your voucher will expire. Just sell your voucher to someone. Then take your time for preparation. If you fail in the first attempt, that might discourage you. As you have been away from java for 2 years, so I feel that you MUST take about 3 months for preparation. It's not just about passing the exam. The exam is designed to make you a better Java programmer.

In my opinion, you should read the Head First book in the beginning. As you have some experience of Java lately, so you will be able to complete with ease. Then you must go for SCJP Study Guide. Since you will be having the knowledge of Head First book, so you will find it easier to understand the topics. When you read the book, go for as much mock exams as you can. There are a lot of Free and Paid mock exams. You can find list of mock exams in the FAQ (the link is in my signature). When you feel that you are ready, just go for it.

Now there are many aspects of Java which are not in SCJP objectives. I fell that you MUST read one or two books after you do your SCJP. All the books also cover GUI programming, but I think that you should read that only if you want to go in Desktop Application development and not in Web Development. If you want to go in web development, then just leave GUI and read topics like XML parsing, Annotations, Database Handling etc. Then go for Head First Servlet JSP book. That will mark your entry into the Web Development world. The best part is after reading the Head First Servlet JSP book, you can give SCWCD also...

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rajshekhar Paul:
Hi, M Murali. Welcome to Javaranch. Please make your name complying with the Javaranch naming policy.

Please note that the name "M Murali" does not violate the naming rules. It is allowed to have an initial for the first name.

Murali Manchala
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ankit Garg:
Just sell your voucher to someone

yes I would have loved to.. but who will buy ??
people come to forums or orkut communities only for help.. no one looks for discounted vouchers.. as they would have already purchased..

Ankit Garg
Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's not the case Murli. Many people here have sold vouchers for discount. I also purchased a voucher from a ranch buddy from pune. So it's not a big deal. If you are still unable to find a buyer, then I can't help you as I have completed my SCJP...

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic