• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bose Products.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have read lot of reviews on the Bose products (speakers, Home theatre systems, car audio etc), and there seems to be only 2 types of comments - either Bose Rocks or Bose Sucks. Nothing in between.

Anyone who have some experience with Bose products, can give an unbiased view on them. I would like to hear the comments on Bose products in general and Bose Lifestyle products (Home theatre system in a box) in particular.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you realy need all this fancy stuff. I just have headphone connected to an ipod. Sennheiser products are good quality

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I looked into headphones a whole heap last year, the Bose Triports were high on the list. I never got to try them, mind, as they aren't stocked in my city. I ended up going for Sennheiser too - the HD280s are awesome if you want closed cans.

I read somewhere that Bose gets disrespect from audio geeks because they just make their products "sound nice" rather than have true high-fidelity. I noticed the same split you did - the pattern I saw was that real audio geeks didn't like Bose, but non-techies often did.

Still, I haven't actually *used* Bose stuff...so YMMV

On the subject of needing it...YES you do! As soon as I'm out of education-induced poverty, I'll be buying a massive chunky sound system....This guy just doesn't sound right unless you can feel the bass

-Tim
[ July 15, 2005: Message edited by: Tim West ]

author and deputy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For home cinema, I would suggest you to visit the sound test centers in every electronics(multimedia) shops in your city and start testing one brand after other. You will have choice(mostly) to test ranges of brands like HK,JBO,Yahama,Bose,Sony etc.,

One of my friend took more than 3months to buy a home cinema system, every weekend he goes the shop, listen to 2 or 3 brands musics, read reviews in internet and so on. Finally, he bought Denon receiver with HK speakers.

Mani Ram
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you realy need all this fancy stuff. I just have headphone connected to an ipod.
How can I watch DVDs in an iPod?

I have an iPod a headphone. Additionally I have an iTrip too, which helps me hear songs in my car stereo.

Let me eloborate a bit. I recently won a Bose Lifestyle 12 home theatre system in a competition. I have an option to upgrade it to a higher model, by paying the extra amount, if needed. So, I was checking the reviews on the Bose� Lifestyle� 12 Series II Home Theater System .

In Amazon reviews for example, you can see that out of 7 reviews, 1 reviewer ranked it a 1 out of 5, where as all the others have given it a 5 out of 5.
I saw this trend for lot of other Bose products too (not only in Amazon, but in many other sites as well). So, I was just wondering, why such extremes? Just curious.

Coming back to your question of needing it: Ofcourse, I got it free after all
[ July 15, 2005: Message edited by: Mani Ram ]

Mani Ram
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Tim West:
real audio geeks didn't like Bose, but non-techies often did.

Makes sense.
To me, Bose sounded great in the showroom, but I can't tell whether it sounded better than any other products, because I haven't checked many. I have to wait and see, how it is going to sound in my living room.
[ July 15, 2005: Message edited by: Mani Ram ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic