• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Doubt on Tag Handler

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Following Question from Enthuware mock exam.

You are using a tag library with prefix "generator", which supports a tag named "random". This tag generates a
random number and sets it to a variable named "value". Which of the following will output this value in the page?

a.<generator:random><%=value%></generator:random>
b.None of the above.

I selected b. but the answer says a. I think this is wrong if a has to be correct; then in the tag handler the variable should be set as a attribute like pageContext.setAttribute("value",value);.Is that correct?

I did pageContext.setAttribute("value",value); in my tag handler and used
<generator:random>${value}</generator:random> this works fine.but again
<generator:random><%=value%></generator:random> this gives an error saying sriptlet invalid i have proper entries in the TLD JSP and scriptlets are not disabled but still i get this error.

Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Raja ,

Sorry to bother you , Could you please check your private message?

Thanks
Vishal Chugh

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A classic tag can be configured in the TLD (using <variable> ) to also declare and synchronize scripting variables into the JSP page, so they can be accessed using scriptlets or expressions. Since the EL is now in favour, unfortunately I can't find a Web reference for this as all the docs seem to now talk almost exclusively about tag files and SimpleTags, both of which cannot export scripting variables. I explain it fully on pp.418-423 of my book and show example container servlet code from the translated JSPs, but it's just a bit too much to copy/paste here Perhaps someone else can find an example on the Web, or if you have a classic tag you'd like to try we can work out the details... you still export the variable into a scope (e.g. request scope) from your tag handler, then it's just a TLD issue to sort it out.
[ December 06, 2008: Message edited by: Charles Lyons ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic