• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Tomcat capable of managing 20,000+ users online

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
We are developing a site similar to that of you tube...i.e the users can upload the videos and view the videos and they can post comments,send messages. we deployed our application in Tomcat 5.5.17. Until now the traffic for the site is limited. But we are planning to enhance the application and take it to a level where it can handle around 20000+ users. So will tomcat be able to support the load. The database that we are using is mysql 5.0. The application is developed in Flex2(for front end) and java. Also as per the present situation the video content serving will be taken care of by tomcat in one system and the data content serving will be taken care of by tomcat in another system. Please advise me.
Thanks
Kranthi Kumar.Chamarthi
[ November 03, 2008: Message edited by: kranthi kumar.chamarthi ]

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I think Tomcat is the least of your worries. Can your internet connection handle the peak load? Can your hardware? Have you configured your OS to allow Tomcat and your application open enough sockets/files/database connections to support the peak load? Have you done load testing under realistic conditions? Have you profiled your application while load testing so you can clean up any bottlenecks?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic