• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Career path of a Java Programmer

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear all,
I want to know how a career of a Java programmer will be in his first 10 years.
I've heard that a Java Programmer will be promoted to Senior Software Engineer after 4 years.
After 5 years -> Team Lead
After 6 years -> Project Manager or Technical Architect of that sort.
I know this will vary from company to company.
1)But what is the average time for these designations.
2)What will be the responsibilities in each of these designations?
3) Will it be more of technical or management perspective?
4)What kind of skills can a developer gain out of these positions?
Suppose if i want to be an entrepreneur or investor, will these skills will be of any relevance in pursuing my vision?
As usual waiting for your candid & bold opinions.
Regards

Ranch Hand
jQuery Google App Engine Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My cousin earns 12lacs per annum and he is team lead,27yr old
and somewhat lazy.

I can say only one thing if you have good development and soft skills ,then
you get paid like a hell.

best regards,
omi
[ November 02, 2008: Message edited by: omi sharma ]

ramya narayanan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I can say only one thing if you have good development and soft skills ,then
you get paid like a hell.

The major purpose of this post is to
1)Know about the skills,knowledge one can acquire by understanding the roles & responsibilities of each designations which a Java developer will undertake in his career
2)Average time or experience an Industry gives or expects to get those designations.

you get paid like a hell

I accept we'll get paid more.But it's a relative term.
It varies to individuals according to their interests, talents,experience & vision.
Take my case for example:
Interests: My interests lies in public speaking,corporate training,managing a school & Training Institute, acting,having a lot of free time, working at a maxim 4 hours a week,devoting my skill,talent,time,money & experience in counselling others,travelling around the globe, taking care of my family & health etc....

Talents: I've a natural talent in Training & understanding others, in management,identifying good from the bad, wisdom from foolishness , acting etc...

Experience: I've got good experience in Training,Teaching & Inspiring others.
But see willingly or unwillingly, I've specialized myself in IT technology & even got experience as software engineer close to 1 year.

My vision: " Acquiring (my) wealth of around 54 crores(12 million dollars) by becoming a leader, taking responsibility of my actions, thoughts & beliefs,cultivating emotional & financial intelligence,maintaining integrity, building & maintaining good rapport with honest,experienced, talented people, making them my associates taking care of them & their family,promoting good harmonious relationship with my family members, taking care of people who cannot take care of themselves, bringing up a child from scheduled caste community, providing him good life education & values, bringing him & his community (through him ) in society"

So in achieving my vision what does my current position as a software engineer leverage or in what ways I can leverage my current designation as a software engineer in realizing my vision?

Which platform is going to be relevant in realizing my vision?
If my goal is to be a Technical architect or become a master in the
Technology or to start a software company, then my continuance in this
software field is relevant .
But my goal is to acquire (my) wealth which should aide me in
realizing my dreams.
Accordingly the platform in which I need to familiarize & make myself
strong is in finance,investment,accounting & management?
I do hope you will understand this?
But willingly or unwillingly , I've specialized myself in this
computer field so I also do accept I cannot simply jump out of this
vehicle.
Also I know "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
So, I've taken a vow to be a top performer in my profession in my team
& acquire good skills here.

So in that perspective I want to know what are the skills I can acquire here in going through various designations here?
Some of the skills i've identified here
1)Good Analytical & problem solving skills.
2) Ability to manage & work under stress.
3) Ability to mingle well with people.
But the major skills like Financial acumen, Investment strategies, negotiation skills, communication skills, ability to raise capitals,man-management skills won't be acquired through this position.

Looking forward for your candid & honest opinions
Regards.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
All depends on your

-- accomplishments
-- good technical (sought-after technologies/framework and key areas) and soft skills
-- networking
-- self-promotion (not being a quiet achiever). There is no point in being a great achiever, if you cannot promote it without being a braggart.
[ November 03, 2008: Message edited by: arulk pillai ]

ramya narayanan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Could anyone precisely explain how I can leverage my software engineer position to realize my vision?

Ranch Hand
Scala Monad
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by ramya narayanan:
Could anyone precisely explain how I can leverage my software engineer position to realize my vision?

Nobody can... you must find it by yourself. And in the process you will learn the skills you seek.

(Looks like I woke up in a Zen-Guru mood )

Bobby Sharma
Ranch Hand
jQuery Google App Engine Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks for your long story , you are really good woman

best regards,
omi

ramya narayanan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

thanks for your long story

Oh.. I take it as a compliment that my vision is as simple & interesting as a story.

you are really good woman

In India every woman are good atleast by heart.
Italic font is different from Bold font

Anyhow I seek the opinion of others who are on the way with the same goal i.e. on the way to financial independence or freedom.

Regards.

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think your soft skills and personal attributes will be more valuable than your technical skills.

creativity, analytical, problem solving, marketing, communication, positive-attitude, passion, etc.

Good luck

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm.. Nice question, Ramya.

I would really love to add my point at this time. ITS NOT ABOUT JAVA. Its about aptitude and ATTITUDE.

Java is just a stepping stone. Nothing more than else. If you have all the qualities, then It would not really take much time to build your career and move into the higher positions.

As for as I know, software architect deals more with technical and managements skills. But more part of the meal is towards technical.

Hope, it helps!!!

ramya narayanan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Now i want others opinions about achieving financial independence or freedom?
Do you geeks thinks it's feasible to achieve financial freedom with in a duration of time?
Regards.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by ramya narayanan:
Now i want others opinions about achieving financial independence or freedom? Do you geeks thinks it's feasible to achieve financial freedom with in a duration of time?
Regards.

Yes. I think achieving financial freedom within a certain time frame, is doable. You could talk to a financial planner, s/he could give you advice on savings plan/or retirement plan that suits your lifestyle.

But to become filthy rich, I think that has to be written in the stars? No? Luck and destiny play the biggest role in our lives, I think.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi ramya,

I saw your post while surfing .its quiet late reply but ....I am in same state of confusion as you are.....currently working as java developer with 1.8 exp//......I feel after 10 yrs achieving my position as technical architect will fetch me 12 per annum approx. which is not big at end of 10 yrs..I feel we need to do something different ,,come out of technical?...do some management ?......I am still experimenting where I got my talent....one fact is sure 'If you don't follow your heart, life sucks'....Have you found your way ?..If you have any strategy please share with me.....The more we discuss we will crack some idea.....

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IMHO, it is better to follow your passion rather than just following the money around. Start investing wisely early on. Look out for windows of opportunities with a well-rounded skill base. Especially the non-technical skills. These skills are called transferrable skills and you can take from Career A to Career B and then into your own pursuits and endeavours. Start building a passive income stream. Educate yourself in finanace and investment. I had been a pure techie, and now starting to realize the importance of other avenues I had mentioned. I earn a very handsome pay packet as an independent consultant/contractor. It gives me a comfortable life, but without proper investment strategies, fare portion of my income gets eaten by the taxman and I will end up working till 60+ anyway -- if any one is prepared to give me a job

Take the road less travelled and you will be fine. Keep thinking out of the box .

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic