• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JBoss - multiple vagueness

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Now I've got JBoss 4.0.0 on my machine

GettingStarted.pdf tells me how to do something (?) (deploy?) the
Dukes-bank application from Sun J2EE :

1. "Next, you'll need to edit the jboss-build.properties file in the j2eetutorial14"

There is no directory j2eetutorials (!)
and there is nowhere a jboss-build.properties (!) file under my
D:/JBoss-4.0.0 directory

2. So in j2ee-build.xml of the example application I merely change every instance of ${java.home} to D:/JBoss-4.0.0.

That brings me farther.

Now ant will not finish the j2ee-build.xml file because it cannot find the 'com/sun/ebank/ejb/account/AccountController' class or interface or object.

I've never worked with any software like this JBoss. And I've never seen in my 20 years such a junky-written documention. Broken links are the least of the problems.

They write like this : You must first install the X, but before the X you must install the Y. And when you install the Y make sure you have the Z beforehand.

Should I chuck JBoss and try EJBs on Sun's Application Server?

What do you pros think?

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

and there is nowhere a jboss-build.properties (!) file under my
D:/JBoss-4.0.0 directory

The getting started document mentions:

You should be able to obtain the supplementary JBoss files from the same place as this document. The file is packaged as a ZIP archive called jbossj2ee-src.zip.

You can download the getting started guide and this jbossj2ee-src.zip from here. This page has a "Download" link for "JBoss AS Getting Started Guide 4.0.4 May 22, 2006". Just click on it and you will get the getting started guide as well as the jbossj2ee-src.zip.

Should I chuck JBoss and try EJBs on Sun's Application Server?

No

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dave,

As you can see, there are people who are more than willing to help you with JBoss issues. If you would like, we can move this topic to the JavaRanch JBoss forum so you can get even more help with JBoss - just say the word and we will move it. We would like to do that so you can get more help.

But if your topic is genuinely about whether you should switch to a different J2EE container, then perhaps we shouldn't move this topic.

Regards, Andrew

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JBoss recently released JBoss 4.2.0 - have you considered using the latest release, rather than 4.0 (released in September 2004)?

Alternatively -- the last release of the 4.0 branch -- is JBoss 4.0.5 and was released last October.

JBoss App Server downloads

Dave Elwood
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
to Andrew Monkhouse :
Yes, if it will get an EJB bean to run here then please move this thread over to that other place.

to Jaikiran Pai :
In the startguide.pdf
"You should be able to obtain the supplementary JBoss files from the same place as this document. The file is packaged as a ZIP archive called jbossj2ee-src.zip."
I have already done this three times, wait a bit.
Is it too difficult to specify which files they mean by 'supplementary'?
e.g. jboss-build.properties to be inserted under jboss.home

"Download this and unpack it into the j2eetutorial14"
There is no directory named j2eetutorial14 in JBoss 3.2.6 nor in JBoss 4.0.0
nor in JBoss 4.0.4 GA.

"All the Duke�s Bank code is in a the examples/bank"
No it isn't.
When I run (as dictated in section 4.1.2)
>ant -f D:/JBoss-4.0.4/examples/bank jboss-build.xml compile

then the errors come out that the classes AccountController, AccountController home etc. do not exist.

These classes are not present in any of the three JBoss versions I have
used up now.
These classes are not present in the j2ee-jboss-src.zip file.

I was only able to find listing of these classes and interfaces with Google in a website in Timbuktu. And then I had to remove line numbers from 2000 lines of code.

See what I mean by junky documentation?

Jaikiran Pai
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

There is no directory named j2eetutorial14 in JBoss 3.2.6 nor in JBoss 4.0.0 nor in JBoss 4.0.4 GA.

Let's take this one step at a time. The Duke's bank example application that you are trying to run is not shipped by JBoss. Chapter 3 of the startup guide mentions:

We will make use of the example applications provided by Sun in the J2EE tutorial, in particular the Duke�s Bank application. You can find the tutorial on-line at http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/tutorial/doc/. You should read the getting started information there and download the example code from http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html#tutorial.

We will look at how to run the code in JBoss, supplementing the tutorial where necessary with JBoss-specific configuration information and deployment descriptors.

There's much more in that section which tells what other tools (like Ant) are required for getting started with the application.

Once you download that application from the Sun site and extract the zip, a j2eetutorial14 folder will be created at the location where you extracted it. Also this j2eetutorial14 will have the examples/bank subfolders in which you will have to extract all the supplementary files available in the jbossj2ee-src.zip.

Is it too difficult to specify which files they mean by 'supplementary'?

There are many supplementary files (which are nothing but configuration files specific to JBoss). But all these files are present in the
jbossj2ee-src.zip. So all that has to be done is to extract that zip file.

Let us know if you still face problems following these steps

Dave Elwood
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I finally found the link
after 11 other links
at the bottom of the webpage
which contained the download of the file
which contained the directory j2eetutorial14
that you referred to

so I have under jboss.home the dir /examples2 from the above
and I have under jboss.home the dir /examples1 which came out of jbossj2ee-src.zip

/examples2 holds the dirs : bank, cb, common, ejb, jaxp, jaxr, jaxrpc, jms, saaj, security, web, xml
/examples1 holds the dirs : bank, ejb

in order to do
>ant -f jboss-build.xml compile
I must be under the examples1/bank because
that is the only place where jboss-build.xml exists.

however the missing classes (AccountController, etc)
are all under /examples2/bank

so we have examples1/bank and examples2/bank

is it necessary to mix these two /examples* directories together?

Jaikiran Pai
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dave Elwood:
so I have under jboss.home the dir /examples2 from the above
and I have under jboss.home the dir /examples1 which came out of jbossj2ee-src.zip

so we have examples1/bank and examples2/bank

is it necessary to mix these two /examples* directories together?

Yes, that's right you will have to mix those together. You can do this easily by pointing the destination directory to examples2 while extracting the jbossj2ee-src.zip. This way the contents of the jbossj2ee-src.zip will be extracted to the already existing folder which contains the examples that came from Sun.

From chapter 4:

The file is packaged as a ZIP archive called jbossj2ee-src.zip. Download this and unpack it into the j2eetutorial14 directory, adding to the existing tutorial files.

Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

to Andrew Monkhouse :
Yes, if it will get an EJB bean to run here then please move this thread over to that other place.

Well moving this topic won't make everything magically work , but since you seem to be moving forward with JBoss, moving it will mean that that it will be in the right forum.

"All the Duke�s Bank code is in a the examples/bank"
No it isn't.
When I run (as dictated in section 4.1.2)
>ant -f D:/JBoss-4.0.4/examples/bank jboss-build.xml compile

then the errors come out that the classes AccountController, AccountController home etc. do not exist.

These classes are not present in any of the three JBoss versions I have
used up now. [/QB]

Harking back to your original question - whether to move to a different J2EE container or not - I think this shows that changing containers won't mean that everything will automatically start running. AccountController, AccountControllerHome, AccountControllerBean ... are all part of the Duke's Bank application. So you will have the same problems with any other container.

Regards, Andrew

Dave Elwood
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
With the mixed examples I went through all the steps and even
deployed it into server/myconfig/deploy

Then I turned on the JBoss server and :

2007-07-15 20:02:19,216 WARN [org.jboss.ejb.EJBDeployer.verifier] EJB spec violation:
Bean : CustomerBean
Section: 12.2.2
Warning: The class must be defined as public and must not be abstract.

2007-07-15 20:02:19,236 WARN [org.jboss.ejb.EJBDeployer.verifier] EJB spec violation:
Bean : CustomerBean
Section: 12.2.5
Warning: Every entity bean must define the ejbFindByPrimaryKey method.

Many more warnings and other stuff...

--- Incompletely deployed packages ---
org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentInfo@52ad5cb0 { url=file:/D:/JBoss-4.0.4/server/myconfig/deploy/JBossDukesBank.ear }
deployer: org.jboss.deployment.EARDeployer@1706da8
status: Deployment FAILED reason: Verification of Enterprise Beans failed, see above for error messages.
state: FAILED
watch: file:/D:/JBoss-4.0.4/server/myconfig/deploy/JBossDukesBank.ear
altDD: null
lastDeployed: 1184522538936
lastModified: 1184522538000
mbeans:

It also gives the same kind of warnings for AccountBean and TxBean.
These are entity Beans, and the warnings about being abstract go against
everything that my books say.

What's going on now?

Jaikiran Pai
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just tried out this example, following the steps mentioned in the startup guide, on one of my test setups. Went off fine without any issues:

00:59:03,429 INFO [EARDeployer] Init J2EE application: file:/D:/JBoss-4.0.3/server/default/deploy/JBossDukesBank.ear
00:59:04,690 INFO [EjbModule] Deploying CustomerBean
00:59:05,231 INFO [EjbModule] Deploying AccountBean
00:59:05,261 INFO [EjbModule] Deploying TxBean
00:59:05,271 INFO [EjbModule] Deploying NextIdBean
00:59:05,281 INFO [EjbModule] Deploying AccountControllerBean
00:59:05,301 INFO [EjbModule] Deploying CustomerControllerBean
00:59:05,311 INFO [EjbModule] Deploying TxControllerBean
00:59:05,632 INFO [ClientDeployer] Client ENC bound under: bank-client
00:59:05,682 INFO [BaseLocalProxyFactory] Bound EJB LocalHome CustomerBean' to jndi 'ebankCustomer'
00:59:06,052 INFO [BaseLocalProxyFactory] Bound EJB LocalHome 'AccountBean' to jndi 'ebankAccount'
00:59:06,082 INFO [BaseLocalProxyFactory] Bound EJB LocalHome 'TxBean' to jndi 'ebankTx'
00:59:06,102 INFO [BaseLocalProxyFactory] Bound EJB LocalHome 'NextIdBean' to jndi 'ebankNextId'
00:59:06,904 INFO [ProxyFactory] Bound EJB Home 'AccountControllerBean' to jndi 'ebankAccountController'
00:59:06,914 INFO [ProxyFactory] Bound EJB Home 'CustomerControllerBean' to jndi 'ebankCustomerController'
00:59:06,934 INFO [ProxyFactory] Bound EJB Home 'TxControllerBean' to jndi 'ebankTxController'
00:59:06,944 INFO [EJBDeployer] Deployed: file:/D:/JBoss-4.0.3/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp39045JBossDukesBank.ear-contents/bank-ejb.jar
00:59:07,024 INFO [TomcatDeployer] deploy, ctxPath=/bank, warUrl=.../tmp/deploy/tmp39045JBossDukesBank.ear-contents/web-client-exp.war/
00:59:07,374 INFO [EARDeployer] Started J2EE application: file:/D:/JBoss-4.0.3/server/default/deploy/JBossDukesBank.ear

The only difference that i see here is that you used your own server instance "myconfig" and i used the "default" instance. That should not be a problem as long as you created the "myconfig" right. How did you create the "myconfig" (just to make sure you got it right )

Also, can you post the output of the following command:

- Go to command prompt and move to D:/JBoss-4.0.4/server/myconfig/deploy/
- Run:

Post the output(it will be long) here. That will show us whether the contents of the ear are proper.

Jaikiran Pai
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I finally found the link
after 11 other links
at the bottom of the webpage

Dave, which one did you download from here? Was it "J2EE 1.4 Tutorial Update 7 (for Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8.2) January 27, 2006"

If yes, then its not the right version. You will have to download the "J2EE 1.4 Tutorial Update 2 (for Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8 Update 1) June 22, 2004"

You will find the link for this download at the same location (http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html#tutorial) at the end of the page. Its named "J2EE 1.4 - Earlier Releases" To avoid any further confusions, here's the link you have to download from. At the end of that page you will find "J2EE 1.4 Tutorial Update 2 (for Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8 Update 1) June 22, 2004". This is the one we are interested in for trying out the example.

Dave Elwood
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had downloaded Update 7
now I have Update 2 just as you described and it deploys.
Waa..Hoo!
Now I just need to see if I can call it up with a client app
such as http://localhost:8080/getupanddance

But do you see what I mean about hokey documentation?
All this has taken 8 days.

Thank you very much.

Jaikiran Pai
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

now I have Update 2 just as you described and it deploys.
Waa..Hoo!
Now I just need to see if I can call it up with a client app
such as http://localhost:8080/getupanddance

Good luck

But do you see what I mean about hokey documentation?

I guess, mentioning the correct version of the tutorial(available on the Sun site) in the Getting Started document, might help.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I have been trying JBoss Duke's Bank for two weeks, and it seems that I have found up the answer in this thread.

I would like to keep this thread on until I had solved the application. Is it posible.

Thanking in advance,
Jose Alvarez de Lara

Jaikiran Pai
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jose Alvarez de Lara:

I would like to keep this thread on until I had solved the application. Is it posible.

The thread will be there forever. We don't delete threads at JavaRanch. You can keep this bookmarked

Jose Alvarez de Lara
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I am having problems when setting the InitialContext. I have tried to create a new instance of InitialContext and then the problem is that the application can not find the EJBs. And if I try as follow

the application throws an exception,

and I do not know what is happening.

I will appreciate any help.

Thanking in advance,
Jose Alvarez de Lara

Jose Alvarez de Lara
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I was googling and I have solved the problem about the InitialContex: I was needing to add some jar into the prject.

Now I have some problems when callin some local-home interfaces from the ejbCreate mthod of a Session Bean. My code is as followes:

where the ACCOUNT_CONTROLLER_EJBHOME, CUSTOMER_CONTROLLER_EJBHOME and TX_CONTROLLER_EJBHOME are the session bean that access to my ACCOUNT_EJBHOME, ACCOUNT_EJBHOME and TX_EJBHOME on their respectively ejbCreate method.

The way to call the diferents EJBs is as followes,

but when I try it, the first call to the session bean works ok, but from the ejbCreate of this session bean I cannot call the entities beans. The system throws an exception,

java.rmi.ServerException: EJBException:; nested exception is:
javax.ejb.EJBException: ejbCreate: comp not bound
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.handleException(LogInterceptor.java:365)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.invokeHome(LogInterceptor.java:136)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.invokeHome(ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.java:107)
at org.jboss.ejb.SessionContainer.internalInvokeHome(SessionContainer.java:637)
at org.jboss.ejb.Container.invoke(Container.java:981)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)
at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:94)
at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:86)
at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264)
at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:659)
at org.jboss.invocation.unified.server.UnifiedInvoker.invoke(UnifiedInvoker.java:231)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)
at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264)
at javax.management.MBeanServerInvocationHandler.invoke(MBeanServerInvocationHandler.java:201)
at $Proxy16.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.jboss.remoting.ServerInvoker.invoke(ServerInvoker.java:769)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.processInvocation(ServerThread.java:573)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.dorun(ServerThread.java:373)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.run(ServerThread.java:166)
Caused by: javax.ejb.EJBException: ejbCreate: comp not bound
at com.sun.ebank.ejb.customer.CustomerControllerBean.ejbCreate(CustomerControllerBean.java:280)
at org.jboss.ejb.StatefulSessionContainer.createSession(StatefulSessionContainer.java:278)
at org.jboss.ejb.StatefulSessionContainer.createHome(StatefulSessionContainer.java:337)
at org.jboss.invocation.Invocation.performCall(Invocation.java:359)
at org.jboss.ejb.StatefulSessionContainer$ContainerInterceptor.invokeHome(StatefulSessionContainer.java:549)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.SecurityInterceptor.invokeHome(SecurityInterceptor.java:145)
at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnectionInterceptor.invokeHome(CachedConnectionInterceptor.java:189)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.CallValidationInterceptor.invokeHome(CallValidationInterceptor.java:56)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.AbstractTxInterceptor.invokeNext(AbstractTxInterceptor.java:125)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.AbstractTxInterceptorBMT.invokeNext(AbstractTxInterceptorBMT.java:173)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorBMT.invokeHome(TxInterceptorBMT.java:71)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.StatefulSessionInstanceInterceptor.invokeHome(StatefulSessionInstanceInterceptor.java:143)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.invokeHome(LogInterceptor.java:132)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.invokeHome(ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.java:107)
at org.jboss.ejb.SessionContainer.internalInvokeHome(SessionContainer.java:637)
at org.jboss.ejb.Container.invoke(Container.java:981)
at org.jboss.invocation.unified.server.UnifiedInvoker.invoke(UnifiedInvoker.java:231)
at javax.management.MBeanServerInvocationHandler.invoke(MBeanServerInvocationHandler.java:201)
at $Proxy16.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.jboss.remoting.ServerInvoker.invoke(ServerInvoker.java:769)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.processInvocation(ServerThread.java:573)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.dorun(ServerThread.java:373)
at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.run(ServerThread.java:166)
at org.jboss.remoting.MicroRemoteClientInvoker.invoke(MicroRemoteClientInvoker.java:163)
at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:1634)
at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:548)
at org.jboss.invocation.unified.interfaces.UnifiedInvokerProxy.invoke(UnifiedInvokerProxy.java:183)
at org.jboss.invocation.InvokerInterceptor.invokeInvoker(InvokerInterceptor.java:365)
at org.jboss.invocation.InvokerInterceptor.invoke(InvokerInterceptor.java:197)
at org.jboss.proxy.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:61)
at org.jboss.proxy.SecurityInterceptor.invoke(SecurityInterceptor.java:70)
at org.jboss.proxy.ejb.HomeInterceptor.invoke(HomeInterceptor.java:184)
at org.jboss.proxy.ClientContainer.invoke(ClientContainer.java:100)
at $Proxy0.create(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.ebank.appclient.DataModel.<init>(DataModel.java:127)
at com.sun.ebank.appclient.EventHandle.<init>(EventHandle.java:51)
at com.sun.ebank.appclient.BankAdmin.main(BankAdmin.java:587)

This is in case I name the entities "java:comp/env/ejb/myEJB" because if I just name the ejb myEJB the exception should be

The question is that the entities interfaces are locals son I do not know the way to call them.

Any help over there.

Thank you,
Jose Alvarez de Lara

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with the Original poster- that the Starting guide documentation from Jboss- is poorly written

But thanks to the helping hands here- it wasn't too difficult to get it running eventually- once you got on the right track

Cheers
I posted a Jboss tutorial (albeit somewhat different )on by blog.
It might help some one else who may come looking around for a solution
Jboss tutorial
[ December 27, 2008: Message edited by: Rajiv Narula ]

Jose Alvarez de Lara
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[color=#444444]
[size=12]

Going on with the Duke’s Bank, I have made some changes in the code. I am trying it because learning. But now appears an exception that is,

Unable find setter method for paramName attribute

Then code is as follow,

Another change I made was to put jsp extension to screensdefinition.jspf. Now is screensdefinition.jsp and has not any line of JSP code. It is as follow,

But I have the above exception. I think I am close to the solution.

Please help.

Best regards,
Jose Alvarez de Lara Sanchez
[/size]
[/color]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic