• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

your advice need

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,

I wanna your advice in this issue, I'm a Java developer for 5 years now , i moved from a software house to very known Bank in my area , my tittle in this bank suppose to be developer but actually I'm acting like project manager !! the problem is that i stopped coding now for 6 months and I'm not doing the project manager work stuff from A to Z, all i'm doing is to take care of some projects and coordinate with the different teams till the project goes to Quality assurance department ,they are dealing here with Java stuff but not coding just black box stuff coming from the vendors , in the other hand i asked what if i wanna to work as a developer they told me I'll work in a customized tool made only for the bank and it's not world wide tool or related to Java from near or far !!!
so if i wanna leave this bank (not in the current time ) i will not be good developer because i missed some technologies while i was working here neither a project manager because i'm still young for it and i didn't work actually as a PM (by the way i'm 28 years) and i cant go for PMP certification to be recognized as a project manager ....

So , I'm stuck in the middle ....
Any advices ??

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From your current role acquire soft skills and to keep in touch with the technical skillls contribute to open source projects or try freelance work provided you have time. Soft skills are harder to acquire and it is much easier in a real work environment like a Bank. To acquire technical skills, all you need is a computer, an internet and a project to work on. But if you have too big a gap in your resume, it may become a little harder to get back in. Try to ascertain first, what you really enjoy doing.

S Shehab
Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by arulk pillai:
From your current role acquire soft skills and to keep in touch with the technical skillls contribute to open source projects or try freelance work provided you have time. Soft skills are harder to acquire and it is much easier in a real work environment like a Bank. To acquire technical skills, all you need is a computer, an internet and a project to work on. But if you have too big a gap in your resume, it may become a little harder to get back in. Try to ascertain first, what you really enjoy doing.

Hmmm , you gave me good idea (the soft skills idea) that's a good one , but what I'm afraid of is the gap in my resume as you mentioned got any solution for this , actually I'm totally convinced is the natural development for the developer is to become a PM but i think didn't gain all the experiences need to be a PM specially the technical experience ,
What do you think am i right or wrong ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey sherif,

One might have N number of factors due to which he/she chooses a job.As arulk advices above, first you need to decide what you would enjoy doing most - programming or coordinating among teams...

Actually I have known people who prefer programming even after 12 years in the IT industry, also there are people who, very easily put on the project management shoes and are at ease while coordinating with teams and doing all the management stuff, at a very early age.Either ways its only possible if you love what you are doing and enjoy it thoroughly.

I guess this isn't helping..or is it? :roll:

Coming back to the N number of factors I mentioned in my initial lines , I guess the bank might have offered you good enough package to lure you to accept the offer..or was it a wrong decision entirely!!..OK please pardon me for being derogatory but before saying YES to a job one needs to weigh the factors available to him/her.Presently these are trying times for any industry and recession is common every where.In such a situation one might not get the kind of job he/she is looking for, in fact just having a job should be considered a privilege.

Looking at your situation you should continue with the ensuing work profile with the bank while making sure you are updated with the progress in the J2EE world..though this is easier said than done..but then if you really think you want to write some code i am sure you will find a way out..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well first of all so sorry that i am again starting this thread.

the reason is that my problem is a bit same with this thread.
i am also currently working in a bank's in house software development.
currently i am coding in lagacy language (ie INFOBASIC).
which is famous and used only in banking sector. Perhaps outside software houses do not even know about INFOBASIC.
And personally i like coding in Java. so what did you people suggest should i continue the current job or should i change it any try working in somewhere in Software houses???

All kinds of suggestions are warmly appreciated from my side.

Regards
Amir Iqbal

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Amir Iqbal, please don't reopen an old thread. Also, in my opinion, you have a new question, so you would have done better to start a new thread, referring back to this thread saying "it is similar to . . ."

Amir Iqbal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok campbell sorry for inconvinience.

Yeah. What he said. Totally. Wait. What? Sorry, I was looking at this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic