• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Job search since 5 months

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I was working for an IT company in Chennai. For personal reasons I had to come to B'lore.Since i did not get the transfer from my previous company I had quit the company and came to Bangalore.Right from September am searching for a job in Java. I have an experience of around 2 Yrs.
I got 2 offers from different companies. but @ the neck of the moment I was told that Java openings were freezed.. (recruitment freeze :cry ).. And the offer got cancelled..
I was totally depressed. And am still searching.. Now tat 2 offers had gone out of hand I was frustrated and now am totally out of touch in Java..

Kindly guide me on how to tune myself in getting a job as early as possible with practical experience?
Will SCWCD help me?
Any hands-on project experience right from scratch?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ranch Hand
jQuery Google App Engine Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It' very hard to get Job in Banglore for outsiders.I tried thrice and failed.

First they called me saying that I was shortlisted and after two days they emailed me "Vacancies are
already filled".

But In small companies from cities such as Pune,Bombay,Nagpur,Ahmadabad and like are still hiring. There are enough jobs for php,mysql,.net and j2me.

I am not trying for those job because I don't know these technology.If you have time,then learn above technologies
and it may help you until economy goes back to normal.

And If you want to start from scratch then leave development and try for Information security lines and
do certs for it.(I am also thinking about it).

by the way,I don't think SCWCD will help you.Java is for major projects and almost all major projects are closed.

best regards,
omi

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

Same problem with me i was also working in noida.But from the last 2 months i am job less.

As you mentioned Information security lines .

What is it and what qualification its required and how to enter into this field.

Thanks

Bobby Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What you need for Information security field are

1)A under graduate degree
2)Knowledge of basic network fundamental
3)Time and patience
4)Interest in Hacking(not cracking)

Certs : RHCE,MCSE security,check point certs,CPTS,CEH,Security+,Linux +,ITIL,CiSSp,CCSE,CCNE,CCIE etc.

Google them.

You need a keen interest to be a successful security professional.If you are master of Information Security
you may get offers from CBI,RAW,Cyber Crime,Federal.Information security community is very large and you will
lots of help.Even some of them offer you to get free online lectures.

You can also do online MS in cyber forensic from India.

best regards,
omi

pankaj semwal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Which institutes offer this course in INDIA.as i am now Living in Delhi

Bobby Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well my dear friend ,As you live in Delhi you should better know how to get those training centers.

Just log on to Vue and Prometric sites and you will get it.

But don't expect me or other ranchers they would spoon-feed you. :P

If you want to dive into Information security field then you should learn how to search things and
have excellent analytical skills.In this field you have to do things you never imagined.

One more thing ,you have to deal with lots of certs for next five to ten years.That's why I am just thinking to
dwell myself into this field and have not made my mind yet.The second option I have is doing MBA finance/CFA from
Icfai university.This about the latter also.

I am in biggest dilemma myself.I will wait six to one yr until things get better.

if you are interested in IS field then start with CCNA followed by MCSE sercurity.

best regards,
omi

Harini Kaushik
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for all your kind replies and suggestions.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Omi, there is no MCSE anymore bro.

Bobby Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I regret for unknowingly putting wrong information about MCSE.

Wikipedia :

MCSA and MCSE Transitions

MCSA and MCSE certifications will not be retired. Microsoft has introduced a transition path to allow MCSA/MCSE holders to obtain MCITP certification. Both certifications require a common transitional exam (70-649), as well as two additional exams for MCITP: Server Administrator and three additional exams for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

-- Try contributing to open-source projects where sought-after technologies can be learnt

-- Try for both paid and unpaid job openings in Java/JEE. Unpaid jobs can open more doors within the same company or through contacts in addition to providing much needed hands-on experience. Handy tips to get some work experience

-- Keep updating your resume with every additional experience and technical skill gained.

-- Try other avenues in job hunting Job Hunting Tips

Harini Kaushik
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Arul,
Can you give some suggestions on the books that we can follow?? (One with extensive programming and hand-on)
ANd the links below were not working..
Java/J2EE Interview Companion: 400+ Java/J2EE job interview questions answered with diagrams, examples, code, etc.
Java/JEE Resume Companion: 100+ eye-catching Java/J2EE resume phrases with sample resumes.

Is there any other links for that?

Bobby Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Harthik , the books Arulk have referred are awesome,I have the J2EE Interviews companion.But it also
true that you only need some of chapters of it to memorize and you need not bother to read the whole.

Since you don't want to change the field(neither I),if need be, learn php and mysql too.It takes
only 1 month (2 hours daily) to beat them for Java guys.I finally decided to do the same.

Use both Java and php in your development.

http://in.php.net/java
http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/quercus/tutorial/module/index.xtp

best regards,
omi

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Harini Kaushik wrote:Hi Arul,
Can you give some suggestions on the books that we can follow?? (One with extensive programming and hand-on)
ANd the links below were not working..
Java/J2EE Interview Companion: 400+ Java/J2EE job interview questions answered with diagrams, examples, code, etc.
Java/JEE Resume Companion: 100+ eye-catching Java/J2EE resume phrases with sample resumes.

Is there any other links for that?

I don't think there is just one book that can meet all requirements. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you need to use a number of resources like good books (like Head First Series), online articles, etc depending on your level like beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

-- The Java/JEE Job Interview Companion is useful for refreshing the fundamentals and concepts you should already know. It is also useful for getting a birds eye view of a vast number of Java/JEE and related technologies/frameworks. Depending on your level of experience and skills, you may have to refer to other books or online resources to drill deeper into a specific topic. Try the free downloads to see what you think. It also has non-technical Q&A (i.e Behavioural Interviewing Q&A).

-- The Java/JEE Resume Companion is all about writing a more effective resume with Java/JEE specific phrases, sample resume, and tips.

You can't learn Java/JEE from these career companions, but it gives you a big picture, a great refresher material, and a quick refrence guide. Combined with other books and online resources can fast-track your career.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic