• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Job Interview tomorrow

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I've got a job interview tomorrow for an extra job to do for the one day a week I've got free from my other job. Any tips? It seems a little hard to do something productive only one day a week, may-be they want me to do some testing. Alternatively I am working as a postman already to get some extra money, although that pays me only half of what I earn as a software engineer, it's kinda happy relaxing job I think.

Just trying to pay the mortgage.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Only thing which I can suggest is don't go with assumption that they want you to do only testing. Brush up as much as possible in a short time you have for interview.

All the best !

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Getting a foot in the door may open-more opportunities. Keep networking and look for opportnuties. Also, where possible devote some time to gain relevant experience via open-source contribution, etc.
Good luck.

Marcel Wentink
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Got the job. It's analysing some possibilities, sort of definition study. The assignment and the company are both too small to have a consultant from an agency @ six times my wages pro hour to investigate it, but it's too complicated for a work experience assignment for a student. So they are, if all goes right, going to give me a job contract for 9 hours a week, for 3 months, for 20 euro an hour. I keep my present job, that is still the first priority for me, this is an extra. The only disadvantage is, in total I am now working 36+9+5=50 hours a week. It should not be like that, I am getting too tired and will not do any of the 3 jobs excellent. If it's like that, I'd better drop one assignment and better do for example 2 things good, instead of 3 things half.

Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Marcel Wentink wrote:Got the job. It's analysing some possibilities, sort of definition study.

I told you not to assume that it is testing job. Well congratulations. It's your choice if you want to work for 50 hours a week. But in indian service companies people do work 50 hours or more for a week.

All the best!

Marcel Wentink
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well you can work for 50 or 60 or 70 hours a week, but at some point productivity drops. You're just sitting there making the hours. At some point you should have rest to clear your mind. Nevertheless, 50 hours could be done. I just have a little less free time on my hand. But my daughter has already told me she will help me more in things like cleaning the house and so. I'll manage. And it's interesting and I can learn some good things in the assignment too.

Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Marcel Wentink wrote:Well you can work for 50 or 60 or 70 hours a week, but at some point productivity drops. You're just sitting there making the hours. At some point you should have rest to clear your mind.

I completely agree but our managers don't agree

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I completely agree but our managers don't agree

The good ones do !!

Henry

arulk pillai