• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Good practice or Bad practice(tm) ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, a quick question on good or bad practices when write Java applications

I'm writing a class which takes a file name as a parameter when initialising it. But I don't want the full file name, I only want the file name minus the file extension. So I have a private String variable with getters and setters. During the object initialisation, I call this private method to set the String variable. Is it bad practice to do this, to call a class method in the constructor? Would I be better to have as part of the constructor this code which sets the file name?

It is a total of 1 line of code - this.fileName = file.substring(0, 4); so it wouldn't really bulk up the constructor, but I have a preference for methods which do one thing, and methods for everything (I learned to program with smalltalk and this was the norm AFAIR - you never touch a variable, except through getter/setter methods)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Depends. Getters and setters are able to do a bit more than only getting/setting. With that form of encapsulation you have full control over what to do with the values when called from outside the class. Imagine that your setter actually does a bit more than setting the value, e.g. doing some checks or changing it a bit, then you probably need to call the setter in the constructor as well. But that can also depend on what the constructor is expected to do. If a setter does nothing more than plain dumb setting a property, then you could also just do the same in the constuctor. Again, it depends. Just document the methods properly so that you won´t cause surprises in the future.

Steven Satelle
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
aye, it does do a tiny bit more, it takes in a filename.txt and sets the fileName to be fileName (minus the extension)

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is generally permissible to call a method from the constructor, but that method should be labelled "final" or "private." Are you passing the file name as a command-line parameter? If so, it is a good idea to print an error message if the file name is not available: a bit like this.

Usage: java mypackage.MyMainClass <filename.txt>

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:It is generally permissible to call a method from the constructor, but that method should be labelled "final" or "private."

This is the key point. If you don't do that, then you could write a subclass of your class and override that method. When you do that, all of a sudden things are initialized in an unexpected order and you can find yourself with errors that are very hard to debug and fix. It happened to me.

Everybody! Do the Funky Monkey! Like this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic