• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Forcing another java version for applet

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
HI, I got a strange problem when I need to force the users to use java 1.5 instead of the latest installed 1.6.

To do so I changed the clsid: in the <object>-tag to clsid:CAFEEFAC-0014-0002-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA

When loading the applet I get a security question if I'm really sure I want to use the older version (So far so good). But the splash screen in the applet area while loading is the new orange 1.6 one and not the older 1.5. If I open the java console it says 1.5. Also I got the same program errors as I have in 1.6 (This is suppose to buy me some time to fix those) so some how it still runs under java 1.6 despite the console says 1.5 (?)

I tried it one some coworkers machines and on some of them it works and on some it won't. I suspect the machines with problems are the once where java has been installed and uninstalled plenty?

Anyone have any good ideas or maybe even a solution to my problem?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Java Plugin Guide makes it sound as if you can specify the minimum JRE version to be used, but not the exact version if more than one is installed. Is there any chance of fixing the applet so that it runs under both Java 5 and 6? In general, that shouldn't be a big task.

Be sure to read http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html#mixed if you have different browsers using the applet.

Humpe Caballero
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:The Java Plugin Guide makes it sound as if you can specify the minimum JRE version to be used, but not the exact version if more than one is installed. Is there any chance of fixing the applet so that it runs under both Java 5 and 6? In general, that shouldn't be a big task.

Be sure to read http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html#mixed if you have different browsers using the applet.

I'm aware that I can only specify the java family to use, but I still need to force my applet to use 1.5 (any 1.5 version is ok) when 1.6 still is installed on the machine.

We have some rather tricky problems regarding windows focus when it comes to IE7 and Java 1.6 so we need the time we would get by forcing the user to keep running 1.5 :-(

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
try in a game forum.

Bartender
Firefox Browser Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"securetechie techie " please check your private messages for an important administrative matter. You can check them by clicking the My Private Messages link above.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic