• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Anthems

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I saw an interesting survey on the news this morning concerning which anthem should be played for the England team in the World Cup. For most countries the answer is obvious - the national anthem, but here things are a bit more complicated.

When the UK enters a single team into a competition, like the Olympics, then we use the British anthem - God Save The Queen.

In many other sports, such as football and rugby, the different nations within the UK enter separate teams. Often these team then use their own anthems, for example the Scottish team sing The Flower Of Scotland, and the Welsh sing something unpronounceable.

For England its a bit muddled though. In rugby and in the Commonwealth Games Land Of Hope And Glory is sung, and in the cricket its become traditional to sing Jerusalem.

For football, God Save The Queen is still sung, but some are wondering if the team should use something else instead. God Save The Queen may be more traditional, but if the other UK nations are using their own song, it has been suggested that England should as well.

Personally I'd like to see Land Of Hope And Glory as the English anthem for football. Partially its because I feel far more English then British, and also singing an English anthem seems more appropriate when supporting England. It would sensible to leave the British anthem for British teams. Otherwise it almost blurs the boundaries between English and British, something which could upset people from the other UK nations (note for tourists: don't ever mix them up when talking to someone from Scotland, Wales or N Ireland!). Also, its partially because God Save The Queen is so boring! Its a dull song. Land Of Hope And Glory, on the other hand, is a lot more rousing. Its one of those hands-standing-up-on-your-arm type songs, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the survey on the news programme showed that there was a roughly 50-50 split between God Save The Queen and Land Of Hope And Glory.

It got me thinking. Are there many other countries out there with different anthems to choose between? I know that there's some monarchies which have separate national and royals anthems.
[ March 31, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Lenton ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Dave,

Denmark got two officially recognised national anthems:
- "Kong Christian stod ved h�jen mast" (King Christian stood by lofty mast),
which sings the praises of warrior heroes of former times.

- "Der er et yndigt land" (There is a lovely country),
a more peacefully song, praising the country's gentle character.

The former is also known as the "King song", and it normally being used at
"official occasions". With respect to football "There is a lovely country"
is normally being used - perhabs unless a member of the royal family is
present, in which case King Christian is being used.

/Svend Rost

edit: added links.

King Christian
There is a lovly country
[ March 31, 2006: Message edited by: Svend Rost ]

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dave Lenton:
I feel far more English then British,

and I was thinking that English and British can be used interchangeably.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

singing an English anthem seems more appropriate when supporting England

Yeah this always annoys us Scots. When England last came to Hampden people were critical that the Scottish fans drowned out God Save The Queen with booing. I don't deny that some fans would have been booing out of pure anti-Englishness, but most I know were angry that the British anthem is used for the English team, thus impling British/English are interchangable terms. And of course there is the added irritation that our British national anthem was once an explicitly anti-Scottish song. The now discontinued 6th verse in its entiry:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

God Save The Queen is a dirge. English fans should use Land Of Hope And Glory. Much better.
[ March 31, 2006: Message edited by: Paul Sturrock ]

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by R K Singh:
and I was thinking that English and British can be used interchangeably.

Woah! That could cause a riot in some parts of Glasgow . England is a subset of the UK.

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Paul Sturrock:
but most I know were angry that the British anthem is used for the English team, thus impling British/English are interchangable terms. :

I think this is also bad for the English. While the Scots and Welsh often have a high level of national pride, the concept of English national pride is not as big. Perhaps it has been hijacked by the loonies on the right for too long, but I also think a part of it is that things like the use of the British national anthem and the Union Flags instead St George's Cross in England seem to blur the line between British and English.

The sad thing is that there's probably a whole generation of English children who don't understand the difference between England and Britain

God Save The Queen is a dirge. English fans should use Land Of Hope And Glory. Much better.

Absolutely agree on all points there!

On another point, the survey I saw on the TV also mentioned that the majority of Scottish fans would support England over their opponents in the World Cup. I find that slightly hard to believe.....
[ March 31, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Lenton ]

Paul Sturrock
Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

On another point, the survey I saw on the TV also mentioned that the majority of Scottish fans would support England over their opponents in the World Cup. I find that slightly hard to believe.....

So do I. My personal opinion is my team isn't featuring in the competition, so I won't be supporting anyone, but anecdotal evidence suggests the majority of people I know will be supporting Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobego or Sweden. Rangers fans may well support England, other than that I'd be surprised.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic