• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

is Unreferenced a bad idea ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I was reading some old posts, and found some topics as " Unreferenced should not be used ", but are topics from 2001....
So I ask you guys, what do you think ?

I'm using and trying to guess how decrease the time-out. I'm using the following lock process

Read()
Lock()
User thinking
Update()
Unlock()

I'm using it to guarantee that while my user is thinking, nobody else change his Record, is it too bad ??

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
In my understanding, Unreferenced is useful for cleaning the orphaned locks. If one client locks
a record and then crashes without unlocking it, the server has a chance to detect using the Unreferenced
interface if the client passed away and to unlock the record.
So, if you are implementing a thin client, you will probably do not need to use the Unreferenced interface
because locking/unlocking is a an atomic operation at the server. If you have a thick client, it is ok to use
the Unreferenced interface.
By the way, these settings can help you to interact with the distributed garbage collector:
java.rmi.dgc.leaseValue, sun.rmi.dgc.checkInterval
Greetings,
Liviu

Matheus Mendes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Liviu,

Thank you for the answer. My concept of thin client was badly understood, I'm making calls to the lock and unlock through my client, trying to avoid the following situation, Client A is editing(booking) a Record and the Client B updates it.
My GUI requests the information to book through a JDialog, so my idea was to lock the Record while the client didn't wrote the information.

But I understand how applicable is a thin client, I think I'll change my implementation to solve my problem.

Thanks!

[]s

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic