• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

We'll make millions I tell you, millions! (laptop)

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well I need one of these, and I bet we could sell tons of them, here are the specs:

"The Starbucks Laptop" (patent pending)

A lightweight, no-frills, inexpensive laptop, perfect for browsing, emailing, and word processing.

- 2 pounds
- small footprint, maybe 10"x8" or even 9"x7" (the keyboard has to be decent to use)
- 800 x 600 resolution
- 10 or 20 gig hard drive
- 800mhz to 1ghz processor
- 256 megs o' RAM
- 1 USB port
- 1 PCMCIA type slot ???
- maybe a firewire port ???
- built-in wireless

Cost: $500

You want more ports? Buy a USB hub...
You want CDs? Buy an external drive...

You want more frills? Buy a more expensive machine...

Anybody else want one of these? Anyone think the specs should be tweaked?

It seems to me this is a serious empty niche somewhere between pocket pcs / pdas, and subnotebooks...

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bert Bates:
...It seems to me this is a serious empty niche somewhere between pocket pcs / pdas, and subnotebooks...

Well, Intel has their $400 EduWise on the way. And there's the $135 laptop being developed for the OLPC initiative. But neither of these are being targeted to "chic" coffee shop surfers.

Bert Bates
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
chic - shmeek

Those are a couple of very cool initiatives, I think I'd heard about them before, but they're very cool.

Those are close, but not exactly right... Everyone says that the big cost is in the LCD, which I can believe, but you can buy a nice portable DVD player with a 1000 x 600 LCD for $200 - $250. If you strip out the CD / DVD player there's really nothing mechanical left, except for the hard drive (those iPod hard drives are pretty cheap) and keyboard, but those have to be really cheap...

ok, I thought of one addition, a speaker, but you could skip that, or add a headphone jack.

So, you strip out a bunch ports, throw in a slow (by today's standards) processor and you're good to go!

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The only modification I'd make is to strip some peripherals and add a couple more USB expansions. eg sound and network can be 'plugged' so 3 or 4 USB and sell in packages allowing things like CDRom, DVD, Floppy drives, sound, network (wireless?), bluetooth, GPS, whatever and let the buyer choose what is required.

David O'Meara
Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh yeah, and maybe PCMCIA can be external as well or just forgotten completely. What would you need in PCMCIA and isn't available via an external USB interface?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic