• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

State of the Java support?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Reading about someone's experience on how to get the Rhino library working in Android, i noticed this statement:

java.beans.PropertyChangeListener is not available on Android.

Does that mean that the Java version running on Android is not quite conformant to the public Java API? Or does it implement some Java ME profile that doesn't have this class? (I noticed that the class is part of both the CDC Personal Basis Profile and Personal Profile, though.)

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Does that mean that the Java version running on Android is not quite conformant to the public Java API?

Android's class library does not necessarily line up with any existing Java API from Sun. It is closest to JavaSE.

Many of the java.* and javax.* implementations are brought over from Apache Harmony, so if there is something in particular you are missing, you might search there for something you can use. For example, the whole java.beans package is missing, but you may be able to add it to your own project.

The core Android team was aiming for an API richer than JavaME yet still svelte enough to fit in a modest amount of flashable ROM alongside everything else needed to run a phone. The more ROM you need, the more expensive the device gets, on average.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Mark, that makes it clearer.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
By now, the newer Android API versions have some of the java.beans classes, and PropertyChangeListener in particular. But most of that package is still missing; compare http://developer.android.com/reference/java/beans/package-summary.html to http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/beans/package-summary.html

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic