• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Any plans for SDK release on Windows or Linux computers? Java Support?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am using iPhone and I love it. The two main hurdles in getting into application development of iPhone are, it requires a Mac and you need to learn Objective C language. Are you aware of any plans to release SDK on Windows or Linux? How about support for Java as development language? Can we expect to see that in future?
How difficult it is pick up iPhone development for Java programmers?

Devender.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, you will never see an Apple supported dev environment for the iphone using Java. There will also never be an Apple support Windows or Linux version of the SDK. Apple is as exclusive as Windows has been when it comes to developing for their platforms. Objective-C is really not that difficult to grasp if you know C/C++/Java.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java support seems unlikely in the foreseeable future. There was some discussion about that here and here.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How about an SDK emulator?

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:How about an SDK emulator?

What is that exactly?

I'm not sure why anyone should even consider developing for the iphone on anything but OSX and in Objective-C. It's not an open API. The iphone OS is more or less a stripped down version of OSX and I hear rumors that the next IPhone will run a full blown OSX version or some sort. For Apple to attempt to allow any other kind of development in any other language would be a big mistake in my opinion.

Look, i know why someone would want to. Then they wouldn't have to buy a mac, which on the surface seem expensive. I thought that too, until I bought one. It is worth every penny. Really though, mine wasn't that expensive. $1200 for a Dual Core 2.0 GHz with 2GB RAM. Its a 13" and I hook it up to my 19" monitor when I am at home. The other day I spent another $200 on 2 more gigs of Ram to bring me to 4. I couldn't be happier with this bad boy.

Sure, that's more than a $600 dell you can get at Best Buy, but hey, with a Dell you get really horrible hardware and support. So you get what you pay for.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To add to Gregg. The Mac makes it also very easy for me to have Mac OS, Linux, and Windows all running at the same time and a press of two keys and I switch between them. It is amazing. I am even able to make my home a Microsoft free house.

Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Although... I think there are 3rd party initiatives to allow writing in the Java language then the compiler converts to Objective C code. I don't know if anyone's doing this for commercial purpose right now.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Timothy Sam wrote:Although... I think there are 3rd party initiatives to allow writing in the Java language then the compiler converts to Objective C code. I don't know if anyone's doing this for commercial purpose right now.

I also see this type of project as too difficult and the time it owuld take, would make the remove any benefit. Actually there really isn't a way to do it. The iPhone API is just way too large to have to map all of it to Java code and convert it. It just seems like a huge waste of time for no good return.

Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is this 'making JME VM' plan of Sun

http://www.pmptoday.com/2008/03/09/java-virtual-machine-for-iphone-20/

But for as far as I know, Apple tries to block it, and since april last year there is not much news about it.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is an initiative to make it possible to program for the iPhone in C#, using MonoTouch (but it's not yet available).

At JavaOne this year, they were joking about Java on the iPhone. With Oracle taking over Sun, and Oracle's boss Larry Ellison being friends with Apple's Steve Jobs, they suggested those two should talk about getting Java on the iPhone. But I don't think this is really going to happen anytime soon.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic