• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What reference material did you find useful in preparing your book?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, I was just wondering what reference material you found useful while preparing your book? Did you just use Google's online documentation, or is there another really good reference book you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hello, I was just wondering what reference material you found useful while preparing your book? Did you just use Google's online documentation, or is there another really good reference book you'd recommend?

Well, mine was the first book on the market, so I didn't have any other book to work off of. The SDK documentation and the API samples (in the samples/ folder of your SDK installation), plus the Android Google Groups, were my primary resources.

Matt Price
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK, just wondering. Was looking for recommendations. Didn't know if you used Wrox's Professional Android or Ed Burnett's book (although that one was released in December). I was mainly looking for opinions without naming names

Thanks for your response. I hope you success with your book.

Mark L. Murphy
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have read Mr. Burnette's book, and he does a nice job. His is definitely better than mine on 2D/3D graphics. On the other hand, it's about half the length and, as such, does not have quite as much example code.

I have not read Mr. Maier's book, though it looks like it is probably comparable to my first book. Of course, that's why I'm working on the Advanced Android and Android Programming Tutorials companion volumes, so subscribers can get the best in coverage for a reasonable price...

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The greatest resource for any Android programmer is other Android programmers. Aside from the Android Developer mailing lists hosted by Google, you might want to subscribe to Planet Android, which aggregates all the Android blogs I know about in one place.

The problems of the world fade way as you eat a piece of pie. This tiny ad has never known problems:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic