• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Swing or SWT with Android

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ed, or anyone who may know

Does the Android SDK allow developers to leverage Swing or SWT for the GUI of apps? I'm assuming "no" for SWT since I do not believe there is an SWT port for Android, but Swing would still be interesting for a GUI.

MP

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's neither, really. I haven't built anything on Android other than a lot of example code, but the UI is all custom, and centered around an API that makes it easy to write for the limited and varying screen space mobile devices provide. I found the XML GUI build system much easier to understand and work with than swing.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is a move by Eclipse to do a eRCP on Android which I assume also means SWt but that project is only proposed at this time..no code yet

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Does the Android SDK allow developers to leverage Swing or SWT for the GUI of apps?

No, but Sun has demoed JavaFX running on Android. There's no telling when/if that will be available for real.

See also this thread:
https://coderanch.com/t/435412/Android/Mobile/Porting-Android-apps-across-other

Mike Purdy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you all for your responses. So, I can begin experimenting with the SDK since it provides its own GUI framework. And an added bonus of other GUI toolkits possible in the future certainly makes things interesting. It would just really be nice to leverage an existing codebase from the Java world for Android development.

Mike

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you have used Swing and you want to leverage existing codebase for Android UI development, you should check out AjaxSwing. HTML5 is quickly becoming the standard for building most of mobile apps and with AjaxSwing you can turn your existing desktop application into a iPad/iPhone/Android app. See http://www.creamtec.com/products/ajaxswing/solutions/java_swing_ui_on_ipad.html

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic