• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

to get a list of all countries zip code

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All...
i want to get a list of all countries Zip codes to use it at my App....i googled this and i failed and did'nt find any thing ...can you help me... if it is as excel file that is goood...

Regards

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The "zip code" is a United States Postal Service thing, used to distinguish different localities within the United States. With the current "zip+4" format, there are literally millions of different values.

Many other countries have their own system of postal codes, although not all do. Every country has a different system, and each calls it something different. There is no enormous master list of all postal codes for all countries in the world -- it would be extremely large, in constant flux, and not terribly useful.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yup. The government here in the Netherlands (through the postal service) tried to publish a book containing all our postal codes when the system was first introduced some 20 years ago and to publish yearly updates.
The initial volume was the size of a telephone directory and some 2500 pages of very small print.
After the first 2 thousand page yearly updates they gave up trying.

Bartender
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring VI Editor Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Quick Address

Alan Hermin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi ranchers ..
by zip code i mean that (for example) the US has its zip code = 001 and for Jordan = 00962 .......etc
bye
[ August 07, 2006: Message edited by: Ala'a Hendi ]

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's apparently called the Country Calling Code

Alan Hermin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ohhh.............
Thnx Ulf Dittmer and all ranchers

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
Many other countries have their own system of postal codes, although not all do. Every country has a different system, and each calls it something different..

Perhaps this would be a good area for some kind of international standard. It would be difficult to achieve in many places, but the EU could have a go at it, even if it is as simple as a country-specific prefix to each code.

OK, so you could argue that there wouldn't be much point, as most international mail mentions the destination country in the address, but it could help when machines are used more often to read addresses - the machine would only have to read one line instead of a two.

Going further then that and having a standard pattern throughout several countries would be a bit of a logistical effort to start with, but could have advantages in the long run. No more dodgy javascript to load different postal code forms for each country when ordering stuff through the web .

Jeroen T Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
the machine when handling international mail only has to recognise the country as being a different one from the one it's positioned in and then forward the piece to the correct bag or container for that country.

There is no need for "standardisation" (which would effectively mean one country imposing its will on everyone) if it is even possible at all.
Mailing addresses are different enough between countries as it is.
In the UK the county is often mentioned, in the US the state and sometimes county, in other countries none of that is done (except when needed to make an address explicit, like when a town with a specific name exists in several provinces).
House numbers may be placed in front or behind street names, or they may not exist at all.
Postal codes may be placed in different places in the address.
When using the postal code part or all of the rest of the address may be omitted.
etc. etc.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
The "zip code" is a United States Postal Service thing, used to distinguish different localities within the United States. With the current "zip+4" format, there are literally millions of different values.

Is there like millions of different places in the US to fill em up???

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ajay Mathew:
Is there like millions of different places in the US to fill em up???

In fact there are. For example the (made-up example) zip code 80373-4701 might refer to Post Office Box 4701 in whatever place zip code 80373 represents.

Jeroen T Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Depending on how fine grained the codes are, it's easy to imagine.

The Dutch system uses 4 numbers and 2 letters and we're starting to run out.
It's fine grained enough that each side of each street usually has its own code.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In the UK a postcode is far more granullar than a US ZIP code. In many (most?) cases - just addressing something to a NAME and POSTCODE would be sufficient for the postal service to make a delivery to the correct address

My parents postcode: RG23 7DT (modified slightly to protect the innocent ) - lets break it down...

RG = City of Reading postal area (population of entire area =~ 500,000?)

23 = Western edge of the town of Basingstoke (pop =~ 30,000)

7 = Village of Oakley (pop =~ 10,000)

DZ = Southern half of the road with house numbers from 45-90 (pop =~60?)

So in this case the postcode narrows it down to about 60 people - If we assume this is typical for the entire UK and extrapolate (which is a BIG assumption) - then there would indeed be a need for over a million different postcodes to service the population of about 70million....

Jeroen T Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
pretty similar in the Netherlands then. Postal code and street number (or PO box number) are enough to uniquely identify an address, adding the name is only needed to identify the actual person at that address the mail is meant for.

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeroen T Wenting:
There is no need for "standardisation" (which would effectively mean one country imposing its will on everyone) if it is even possible at all.
Mailing addresses are different enough between countries as it is.

It needn't be the entire address which is standardised, but just the postal code part of it. Even something as simple as having a country specific prefix. We have one for phone numbers, so it isn't that crazy an idea.

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Adrian Wallace:
just addressing something to a NAME and POSTCODE would be sufficient for the postal service to make a delivery to the correct address

Assuming that the postman/woman making the delivery has memorised all the codes of course

My parents postcode: RG23 7DT

Ah! I used to live in RG41, just down the road, although it used to be something else at some point. RG11 I think.

---

I am now in London, which has a particularly cool way of doing postcodes (in the inner boroughs only though). I am in SE6, which means I'm in the South East. There are also similar postcodes for South West, West, West Central, East Central, North West, North and East, meaning that if someone tells you their postcode, you can tell which segment of the city a person comes from.

Unfortunately the numbered sections have been chopped and changed a bit, meaning that the numerical ordering is a bit odd. SE6 is next door to SE23 and SE12, for example, and SE1 and SE2 are a few miles away from each other.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic