• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Behavior of yield() in Threads

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Sir,

I have tried the following code and I'am confused with respect to the yield() method.

The yield() method whether placed after the statement in the loop or in the main() is giving almost the same output. Can you please explain the right place to use the yield() method.

Thanks in advance

with regards
komal

Komal Amaresh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sir,

I' am sorry for sending the same question again. i thought i had closed without sending. Please ignore it

With regards,
komal

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have deleted your duplication. This question is too difficult for beginners. Moving.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yield doesn't do much of anything, really, nowadays; it offers other threads at the same priority a chance to run. Since virtually all modern thread libraries do round-robin time-sliced execution anyway -- i.e., every thread of a given priority automatically gets a chance to run. yield() was much more important when Java was new and most implementations were using a thread library (Green threads) that did not do time slicing -- i.e., without a call to yield(), the running thread might never give up the CPU.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you called Thread.currentThread().yield() in the main method than it will go in the waiting stage, and one of the three threads (maybe due to time slicing) will go to the running stage. If you called it in run() then the currently executing thread that implements Runnable will wait.

Here we go:

I got this output using the code you got:

Thread2 .....started
Hello Thread2
Thread1 .....started
Hello Thread1
Hello Thread2
Hello Thread1
Thread3 .....started
Hello Thread3
Hello Thread2
Hello Thread1
Hello Thread3
Thread2 ....stopped
Thread1 ....stopped
Hello Thread3
Thread3 ....stopped

Thread 2 started before Thread 1 this time. The code you have says that's likely to happen. But, if you comment out Thread.currentThread().yield() in main, you'll never ever get that because the first thread starts and maybe it doesn't print at first (due to context switching) but directly after (while no other threads are runnable) main goes back into a running state and then gives controls back (yield()) to a runnable thread. The one runnable thread in the pool is the first one.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic