• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

So where do I fit?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Um, howdy all :-) I started the Cattle Drive a LONG time ago and let it fall by the wayside because my employer wanted me to get OCP certified and then I've also started working on my MCSD (*gasp*). Now I see that there's a charge for the Cattle Drive if you're new since March 1st, 2001 (I believe that's the date). I was doing the Cattle Drive before then but haven't done anything in a long time so would it still be free for me or do I need to send a check? Not that the $200 is that big of a deal but I would really prefer not to spend it if I don't have to. Starting to gear up for my Java cert so either way, I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me! Thanks.

tumbleweed
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Noman, Paul and Marilyn have one golden rule " once a student always a student", so if you started the Cattle Drive before the 1st of March you can simply start where from you last attempt. All it takes is to send Marilyn you last attempt and nitpick. Once she has verified your last attempt, she will give you the OK to start submitting attemps again.
Good luck

Chicken Farmer ()
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I believe they also require at least a somewhat regular posting to the forums. Not sure if there is a number of times each month or whatever, but they want to see that you are contributing to the improvement of the site and others, just as much as the nitpicker is contributing their time to help you improve your coding skills.
Not an unreasonable request considering all there is to learn, and the plethora of topics out there

Johannes de Jong
tumbleweed
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well Jason youre right about the requirement, though I must say that I cant say I've seen it enforced.
Heck some of the students only post their satus and/or some "rubbish" (pse note the quotes) in MD.

jason adam
Chicken Farmer ()
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh I totally agree, I was just hoping to start getting people more active little by little.
Of course, we could just say "You not post, NO NITPICK FOR YOU!"

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Of course, we could just say "You not post, NO NITPICK FOR YOU!"

We've never gone that far; more along the lines of, "You've had about 30 nitpicks and you've only posted 5 times. How about a few more posts".

But we used to be far more diligent about encouraging students to post than we have been recently.

Anyway, getting back to Norman's question, I remember Norman. The best thing to do is to send me a copy of the last assignment that you passed, along with the instructor's solution. If you don't have it, email me ( marilyn@javaranch.com ) and we can probably figure something out.

jason adam
Chicken Farmer ()
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And don't forget to post to the log!! Would love to have you back as active.
And the "NO NITPICK FOR YOU" was a joke going back to the episode of Seinfeld and the Soup Nazi

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic