• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

This video makes my brain hurt

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Alannis Morissette - My Humps.

she covers the hip-hop song "my humps", in an accoustic piano ballad kind of way. but the video (potentially NWS) is the typical kind of hip-hop video, with thugs, fly-girls (ok - one fly girl, Alannis herself).

the dichotomy between the music/song, and the visual images just kind of freak me out a little.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Horrible video ! Its like they are disconnected - the music and visual

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by John Meyers:
Its like they are disconnected - the music and visual

I think that's the point. the video would "work" if the style of the song were more like the original. Alannis always does strange things (well, since she dropped the bubble-gum/shopping mall act). i think it is purposeful and thought out.

it' still kind of messes with my head... i think i really like the cover of the song, but i just can't watch the video with it.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is an interesting case of an imitation/parody being artistically superior to the original song. I mean, I really enjoyed this version, and I can hardly stand the original. It looks to me that the goofy video of the Alanis version is made as such on purpose (although I am not sure what the purpose is).

This entire experiment leaves me thinking that Alanis managed to **** my brains twice. First, she took some garbage and turned it into something beautiful. Then she stuffed it into a pile of garbage again (which is the video). I also caught my self thinking that, quite miraculously, the meaning of the song has changed, too, although it's the same lyrics.

Maybe, I figured, this is what extraordinary people do: when they get tired of creating wonderful things from good quality materials, they challenge themselves by creating those wonderful things from junk. It's one thing to create a man from a monkey, but try to do the same with nothing but dust.
[ April 03, 2007: Message edited by: John Smith ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic