• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

is it worth seeing the star trek movie?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is it worth seeing the new star trek movie? Has anyone seen it yet? Did you like it?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I saw it yesterday afternoon before school got out and the theatre was mostly empty. That alone made it a better movie .

Overall, not a bad movie with an interesting twist. Yeah, there were some cheezy parts and scenes that reminded me of other movies - like Willy Wonka, Star Wars & a couple others.

I didn't know the enterprise was constructed with steel I-beams and it looked like the engineering scenes were filmed in a huge warehouse.

Filled with action, romance, comedy & drama (besides sci-fi) along with good - not too phony special effects. They also did a good job of setting the plot and keeping the energy intensifying to the end of the movie.

I'm trying not to give away anything - if you haven't noticed by now. If you are a classic Star Trek fan, I'd recommend it. They did a pretty good job with the main characters, but the bridge looked totally different (go figure).

- Doug

-- Nothing is impossible if I'mPossible

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Roger Ebert seemed less than impressed. He mentioned a long list of stuff that was contrary to the laws of physics. My interpretation of what he said is that if you are willing to let go of the laws of physics and focus on the space based soap opera then you'll enjoy it.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I love Roger Ebert in general, but hey, was he okay with warp drive and transporters in the original series?

We went to see it yesterday - I thought it was a great mix of homage, updating, and prequel-ing. Great casting, the tone seemed just right... two thumbs up!

Now, I'm a big fan, so it's hard for me to imagine what I'd think if I'd never seen any Star Trek stuff before.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We saw it opening night and enjoyed it thoroughly -- and we are long-time Trek fans.

There were a number of eye-rolling moments, and I still don't know why engineering looked like a Budweiser factory, but the story is great, the acting top-notch, and homage to the original series well-received. The actors playing young Spock and "Bones" get particular props!

A friend went with us who doesn't know much about Trek, and he was thoroughly entertained, so I think it could be a good movie for non-fans as well.

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Roger Ebert (review here) seems to be... um, what's the phrase? Oh, yes: On crack. That's it. I don't begrudge the man for having a differing opinion, but his reasons given here are pretty weak. Yes, it would be nice if we had more scientifically rigorous (or at least plausible) movies that were also entertaining. (And there have been a few.) But anyone who goes into a film named "Star Trek" expecting scientific rigor is, well, an idiot. Ebert does acknowledge the movie is "fun" at least.

I saw it yesterday and thought it was great. May see it again today with some friends. I'm a longtime fan, mostly of DS9, TNG, and TOS (in that order). It's possible some changes may annoy or offend some old-school TOS fans, but I'm flexible about that stuff. The characters felt true, pretty much. The movie is not perfect, but it's very entertaining. I'm looking forward to many sequels.

But I still think the Corvette should have been a Barchetta.

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Non-trekk[er|ie]s can definitely enjoy it, although it's obviously more enjoyable if you're in on the jokes.

I went in with mixed emotions, and left with pretty much the same. That said, I'll be seeing it at least two more times accompanied by both died-in-the-wool fans and n00bs, so it can't be *that* bad.

ObCaveat: I have a communicator badge tattoo, so I'm pretty clearly biased.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Is it worth seeing the new star trek movie?

Definitely! I can't believe I had any doubts.

The storyline is engaging whether you know all the backstory or not. I know enough to know the characters and some quotes/background stuff. At the same time, I know I don't know enough to appreciate or notice most of them.

I liked seeing "little Spock" at the beginning .

This is one of the few movies I've seen that the audience applauded at the end. And remember this was the "5 ish" showing on Saturday. You've got to assume the hard core fans were there yesterday. There were also some laughs from the whole crowd at a few points.

I'm absolutely glad I went.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just bought tickets for a showing at the IMAX theater. Should be a trip!

And yeah, at the premiere there was lots of "whole theater laughing" at appropriate moments, and a standing ovation at the end credits.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The next show I'm seeing is at a pseudo-IMAX; looking forward to several of the scenes. Nobody applauded at the showings I've seen so far, although at the first one there was definitely a few True Fans that laughed at appropriate Trekk[ie|er] moments.

There was an "old" lady at the first one I saw that was definitely an ST:TOS fan--her reactions were nearly as entertaining as the movie itself. I tried to talk to her afterwards but she was too fast for me; I really wanted to know more about her.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Newton wrote:The next show I'm seeing is at a pseudo-IMAX; looking forward to several of the scenes.

What's a pseudo-IMAX? That the theater isn't full IMAX or that it's in an IMAX theater but only some of the scenes have been enhanced?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some fans apparently feel let down by the movie.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:What's a pseudo-IMAX? That the theater isn't full IMAX or that it's in an IMAX theater but only some of the scenes have been enhanced?

Apparently IMAX has been putting their projectors in theaters with smaller screens than they used to require, and they're now getting some backlash from fans.

[link]

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:Some fans apparently feel let down by the movie.

(You do realize that The Onion is parody, right?)

I think that I know more than my share of Trekkers, and for the most part they feel like me: lots of eye-rolling moments, but overall really enjoyed the movie, and are glad that someone has breathed new life into the franchise instead of letting it die an agonizing death with Star Trek: Nemesis. And then there are those that are displeased.

Some have good reasons for their ire (which I can respect even if I disagree), but some are just ticked off because of the new direction, period, and would not have been satisfied no matter what Abrams did.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:Some fans apparently feel let down by the movie.

(You do realize that The Onion is parody, right?)

I think I would have picked it up from the clip even if I hadn't known about The Onion before...

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:

David Newton wrote:The next show I'm seeing is at a pseudo-IMAX; looking forward to several of the scenes.

What's a pseudo-IMAX? That the theater isn't full IMAX or that it's in an IMAX theater but only some of the scenes have been enhanced?

As someone who got duped and tricked by this. I paid full Imax price and got a small screen and no IMAX experience. It is still digital, but not worth the extra money spent.

Mark

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic