• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Net Nanny, et al

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'd like to let my 9yo daughter use Google and such for her schoolwork, but I'm uneasy about giving her unfettered access to the Internet, even when I'm sitting right there. Therefore I'm in the market for some filtering software. Searching around, I see that for every available program, there are people who love it and people who hate it with a passion. Anybody here have any experience with this stuff? NetNanny, CyberSitter, etc?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well that would be the case for a lot of thing. some love them some hate it. Don't they have a trial version on offer. Though haven't used it myself but have heard a bit about Net Nanny. I mean heard positive about Net Nanny.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
yahoo used to have a kid-freindly portal.. yahooligans maybe? It was supposed to put all the content filtering on yahoo's side, and everything was supposed to be safe there for kids.

i've never used it, but it's the only search engine my nephew's gradeschool allowed. he's in high school now, so i'm not even sure if it's still available.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, but of course then she also wants to visit WebKinz or AmericanGirl.com or pollypocket.com, and you start to see advertisements from third-party services, so you click on one...

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
point taken.

when you get it all figured out, lemme know. My daughter is still too young to surf (she's 4), but it won't be long.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some useful stuff here. If you have McAfee (or even Norton) installed, it too offers some parental control options. I havent tried it though. Instead of going for a new s/w, your existing virus protection s/w itself could offer some help.
[ June 14, 2007: Message edited by: Raghav Sam ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Perhaps soon kids will have to be taught in school about safe surfing. Some things which seem obvious to us, such as not clicking on pop ups, not looking at email attachments from strangers, being careful about which search results to click through to and so on, would be the kind of mistakes that a child could easily make.

Given that a large amount of spam comes from "zombie" machines we can't really afford not to do this kind of training in the long run.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic