• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

newbie ... few questions for getting started

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey everyone I'm new to forums so please forgive me if I am going about this in the wrong way. I did try the search feature and I read quite a few posts but I think that ultimately my questions might be better answered by just posting a new topic.

Q1) I started downloading things from sun's website and now I have 4 different folders in my Java folder (C:\Program Files\Java). I have the following folders:

j2re1.4.2_03

jdk1.6.0_14

jre1.5.0_08

jre6

I have read about "setting a path file to a bin" but I am unsure about which folder's bin I should be doing that for. I would assume the jdk because I think it has to do with the developer's kit, is this assumption correct? Would I just do the following:

"set path = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\bin" once I open the command prompt? (again, REALLY new to this)

I am just trying to get a general sense of what I need to do once I open the command prompt and at this moment in time I have no idea. Also, my second question deals with naming files and making folders for my projects.

Q2) Do I manually make the project folders in Windows before calling them from the command prompt?

So for example, I want a project folder called TimeManagementProject. This folder should hold my "classes" and "source" folder, followed by the "com" folder and "tweeam" folder.

Do I make the "TimeManagementProject" folder in Windows or through Java? If in Windows, do I put it in the "bin" folder from Question 1?

I am somewhat scared of the reaction from this question because I feel like I should know this from reading the book. Hopefully I don't get flamed for these two questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me through this initial learning period :-)

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch

Download jdk6u1.6.0_14
Ignore all the other folders, unless you are running short of space on your hard disc.
If you search this forum, you will find lots of instructions about setting the PATH; this "common problems" page from the Java™ Tutorials (which you would do well to bookmark) has a link to how to set the PATH. That whole section takes you through starting your first ever application.

You can write set path = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\bin, yes, but you will have to do that every time you open a command prompt. You can of course use that technique to try different versions of Java.
You might have to write ;%PATH% at the end of that line, for access to other executables on your computer.. I think it's %PATH% but might be mistaken.

There are other ways to set the PATH; in the Java Tutorials link, it tells you how to set the PATH permanently, which most people do.

Don't put anything into the bin folder.

Easiest way to create a folder: open a command prompt (it opens in My Documents as a default), and write this sort of command:

mkdir java
cd java

Sebastion Hill
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks Campbell, I also got your message (appreciate that as well)

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You're welcome And I trust you have got it working.

Sebastion Hill
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Definitely did just got through adding java.util.Scanner and some more code to allow keyboard input for my new and improved "Hello World!" ... lol, I like Java and this forum already

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic