• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Limitations of OSGi

best scout
Scala IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello there again,

sorry for creating a new thread for each small question. I just don't want to mix all kinds of topics in one post

So here's the actual question: Do you no of any limitations/situations/application types where OSGi definitely can't or at least should not be used? OK, obviously the combination of OSGi and Spring can be used anywhere Spring alone can, I guess. But I'm thinking of use inside other frameworks, some kind of container or anything like that which constrains the usage of OSGi. As I don't know how different OSGi implementations work under the hood, I have no idea with this question...

Marco

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hm, I think this is a very broad question. It's like asking that what the limitations of Java are.

It would be better if you give some context.

Marco Ehrentreich
best scout
Scala IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know this question is a bit vague. Unfortunately, as I don't know how OSGi works internally I can't even imagine any situations where it can't be used for any kind of application.

I just wanted to see if there are any well-known limitations to the OSGi approach for managing application modules...

Marco

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think osgi is so simple and easy to use. It is not very different from traditional Java applications. What is the barrier here is, I think, the learning curve to get started with OSGI. Given that documents and sample applications in OSGI is so limited.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic