• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Getting java.io.FileNotFoundException:(The system cannot find the file specified) error

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I havce craeted a servlet to download a file from web & store it locally.Here is my code

But when i am running this program,it is opening pop up & asking either to open the file or save it.On any of the option,i am getting this error at my server console

Aug 19, 2009 8:00:48 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet TestAction threw exception
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\Jangral\My Documents\ContentAdding_PDF_Attachment.pdf (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
at TestAction.processRequest(TestAction.java:61)
at TestAction.doPost(TestAction.java:115)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.doFilter(MonitorFilter.java:390)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:845)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Can anyone tell mne what more i need to do as i want to save this file with the same name locally on my machine.

Thanks & Regards,
lalit

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The issue seems pretty well quantified by the exception:

The machine wrote:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\Jangral\My Documents\ContentAdding_PDF_Attachment.pdf (The system cannot find the file specified)

My first assumption would be that you're missing a path separator.

J Lalit
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Thanks for reply.It may be the case that i need to create the file with the same name at the given location prior to saving the file??If so,can you please tell me how to achieve that.Or should i follow some other approach??

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

J Lalit wrote:It may be the case that i need to create the file with the same name at the given location prior to saving the file??If so,can you please tell me how to achieve that.Or should i follow some other approach??

I don't understand what that means. I believe what David was suggesting was simply that the file name you use should be

instead of

I agree that it looks like you forgot to insert the backslash here:

However I would have used the File constructor which takes two strings, so that I wouldn't have to mess about with that sort of thing:

J Lalit
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Again,

So sorry for that stupid mistake.I will try once more.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic